I don't think the Bulgarians will become the dominant entity in !Yugoslavia - OTL they had massive problems in the 19th century, their language was on the way to be Hellenized - and without a Bulgarian state ITTL, this will only become worse - the Ottomans will not be very nice. By 1912 Serbs were the most numerous ethnicity between Vienna and Constantinople, not counting the Greeks.

I don't think the Bulgarians will become the dominant entity in !Yugoslavia - OTL they had massive problems in the 19th century, their language was on the way to be Hellenized - and without a Bulgarian state ITTL, this will only become worse - the Ottomans will not be very nice. By 1912 Serbs were the most numerous ethnicity between Vienna and Constantinople, not counting the Greeks.
Tbf a scenario where Bulgaria becomes Greek would be very interesting in general, and in this TL Bulgaria is already a lot more stafted than otl.

I don't even think there will be a proper "Yugoslavia" here, just an assimilationist Serbia. There will probably be a deal with the Austrians to shaft Hungary.

Also, Montenegro at this point considered itself a thoroughly Serbian country - "more Serb than Serbia." So negotiating for gains between the two states will be very easy. They'll probably unify the instant the borders touch.

I am not too knowledgable in 19th century balkan ethnic makeup, but I find it unlikely that Bulgarians will simply become completely Hellenized/Serbified. They have a distinct enough language and history to not want to become part of another country. That doesn't mean that parts of it can't be converted, but a fully occupied Bulgaria will resist for sure. I am predicting a very violent end to Greater Yugoslavia if they really annex all of it. Even regular Yugoslavia fell apart, let alone this one.

I am not too knowledgable in 19th century balkan ethnic makeup, but I find it unlikely that Bulgarians will simply become completely Hellenized/Serbified. They have a distinct enough language and history to not want to become part of another country. That doesn't mean that parts of it can't be converted, but a fully occupied Bulgaria will resist for sure. I am predicting a very violent end to Greater Yugoslavia if they really annex all of it. Even regular Yugoslavia fell apart, let alone this one.
This seems like a parallel for how Macedonian partisans resisted incorporation into Bulgaria IOTL. Having Bulgaria in the opposite position would be interesting. However, it all depends on whether they fall under the control of Serbia in the first place.

This seems like a parallel for how Macedonian partisans resisted incorporation into Bulgaria IOTL. Having Bulgaria in the opposite position would be interesting. However, it all depends on whether they fall under the control of Serbia in the first place.
I think it is very possible that Bulgaria gets partitioned by Romania, Serbia and Greece, and we get partisans attempting to rebel against the three states.

I feel like Serbia's territorial ambitions at the moment are well beyond their actual means to conquer and then rule. We know this isn't going to be a wholly successful endeavor so I think it's fair to say there will be at least some residual Bulgarian territory outside of their control. What happens with the nationalist movement there will depend a lot on how the Ottomans react after the war I think.

Since a bit of discussion has taken place on Ottoman revenues and public debt, this may be of some interest.

1689292643581.png

Source here:

I’m normally someone who is happy to discuss and consider unlikely concepts for this or other timelines I follow. I’m one of the biggest proponents of a Greco-Albania union/confederatio of some type after all. Plus the Greek Desolation islands joke. But a few of these are so out there they have to be adressed.
I don't even think there will be a proper "Yugoslavia" here, just an assimilationist Serbia. There will probably be a deal with the Austrians to shaft Hungary.

Also, Montenegro at this point considered itself a thoroughly Serbian country - "more Serb than Serbia." So negotiating for gains between the two states will be very easy. They'll probably unify the instant the borders touch.

First of Montenegro will do no such thing and I’m not sure why you’d think otherwise. They have a long history of Independence and in OTL only became a part of Serbia because the Serbians retook the land at the end of WW1 and then had only the Montenegrin supporters of a union decide what happened post war. Maybe a personal union of some sort will develop, maybe a war will end Montenegro’s existence, or maybe it’ll be “diplomaticly” integrated like OTL. But they surely won’t be doing so just cause the borders meet.

Also while Serbia may try to be assimilationist I’m not sure it’ll be any more successful than OTL. Probably less. Croatia is currently one of the three major parts of Austria so I have a lot of doubts they or the Slovenes stuck between them and Austria get forcefully assimilated any time soon by Serbia. Bosnia might be split up in some form of deal but I don’t think Serbia will have any better luck with them converting than in OTL.

There’s a lot of talk about Bulgarias non existence in this thread but your response is the most realistic take on the idea which is why I’m quoting it. Bulgaria will probably be smaller in this timeline, possibly much smaller. I could realistically see Bulgaria being the Hungary of TTL who gets cut to pieces by everyone around her. But there’s no way she doesn’t exist or is completely absorbed by her neighbors. Greece might be able to conquer Albania and keep the Albanians in line. Plus the Albanian Renaissance hasn’t really started yet so assimilation is reasonably possible. The Bulgarians wouldn’t be nearly as accommodating.

Merry Christmas @earlmarshal
I thought it was an update.View attachment 877374
So did I but since I’m here anyway and the alerts already been sent out, I to wish you a Merry Christmas @Earl Marshal. And a happy holidays to everybody else who visits the thread as well.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Apologies for the protracted hiatus, I've been busy with quite a few personal things over the last few months. Since the last update way back in June (hard to believe its been that long) I moved to a new state, bought a house, started a new position at work, and to top it all off I started Grad school so I haven't really had the time or energy to work on this timeline as much as I wanted to recently. I'm also torn between continuing this timeline as it currently stands, restarting it and changing the POD slightly while also fleshing out some earlier chapters, or releasing the Henry the Young King timeline I've been secretly working on for the last few months. Either way, I'm thinking the hiatus will sadly continue at least until sometime after New Years.

Apologies for the protracted hiatus, I've been busy with quite a few personal things over the last few months. Since the last update way back in June (hard to believe its been that long) I moved to a new state, bought a house, started a new position at work, and to top it all off I started Grad school so I haven't really had the time or energy to work on this timeline as much as I wanted to recently. I'm also torn between continuing this timeline as it currently stands, restarting it and changing the POD slightly while also fleshing out some earlier chapters, or releasing the Henry the Young King timeline I've been secretly working on for the last few months. Either way, I'm thinking the hiatus will sadly continue at least until sometime after New Years.
oh well, it is your tl after all however best of luck in everything

Never mind, your TL is truly worth the wait
Merry Christmas, enjoy !!

Hope you too had a great christmas!