Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

Well, so much for that. The eventual fate of the prisoners is going to be interesting, definitely. If the punishments are too severe, British-American relations are liable to get even worse, which at this point would mean more shooting and more death. If the punishments are mere slaps on the wrist, it would anger many people in Britain and especially Canada.

It's a fine line for the Anglo-Canadians to walk. In Britain the fate of the Fenians deemed pirates will be seen as straight forward, but there's going to be a significant chunk of the Irish-American (and American in general) population who view them as heroes fighting in a just revolutionary cause. The other Fenians will have mixed reputations. Anyone captured after debacles will get slightly less attention, but those who fought at Black Creek will be seen as heroes who fought in a valiant last stand for liberty. As ironic as that is.

Canadians want them to hang, Americans want to hang laurels on them.

The last paragraph seemed odd to me, unless as I believe the highlighted mention of Keogh is supposed to be of the Shannon? Or am I not understanding something?

Good catch! Thank you for that!

This is where questioning the wisdom comes into play: not wanting a big war with the Union is going to make London do things Ottawa doesn't want done.

London is also aware right now that unecessary martyrs make for revolutionary heroes. The need for justice in Canada will be balanced against the need for peaceful relations with the United States, while also not looking like they aren't willing to go to war should the need arise. It's one of those very delicate situations that can only be navigated with tact... something singularly lacking in recent Anglo-American relations.

Ugh with the track record of McClellan diplomacy is gonna go horrible and that is hopefully the straw that breaks the camels back cause this is a shitshow for America. I my consolation is that the democrats and McClellan will be blamed for it and the reps and the rads will probably do some soul searching and after awhile and look to the country and how the democrats have been steering it will atleast for a bit and Lincoln is still alive and he's as canny as can be so he can mend it and bring some semblance of sanity to the Union.

also yeah I don't think the us will become a great power at this stage for now but if there's one I know about America is that it's can't be beat in terms of pluck and stubbornness to reach to the top no matter how many times it's been beat down mostly by itself right now. This is coming from a non American who loves the spirit and dream and history of America

Also there's definitely gonna be a massive investigation into the corruption and collusion with the fenians that's gonna ruin the McClellan administration and the democrats as whole even more and I'm gonna surprised when successor manages to do worse also I think the successor maybe is probably not gonna live his whole life without getting atleast an attempted assassination on him.

And there's going to be alot of people thrown to the Wolves biggest of whom would be butler which I think nobody is gonna mind and McClellan gets another blow to his already ruined credibility and i seriously laugh at the previous mention that's he's going to be a Hayes like figure.

and finally there's got to be alot of anger from the population to the fenians that could lead alot of ethic violence against the Irish cause of the mess they lead the America into but im just speculating here but people will blame something and the Irish are biggest target next to Britain.