After the forest of Foixà: a new beginning for the House of Barcelona

In the best of cases, it would be a temporary unification. I don't think that Portuguese would enjoy being part of an United Kingdom of the Great Iberia...

That's a boomer. Hopefully a charismatic leader can convinces them otherwise, if not Then Focus on their later Colonization of the caribean and the Américas.

Chapter 12: Great Consternations (1483-1499).
Chapter 12: Great Consternations (1483-1499).

By 1483 Jaime V was 51 years old. He had achieved his great dream, to have Aragon and Castile united under the same dynasty, his own. This was to be fulfilled by his son. He only needed to wait for time to seal his success. However, from this moment on, fate conspired to undone his works. To begin with, his son Jaime (b. in 1464) proved to be an absent ruler, more devoted to hunt, to dance and to any entertainment that fancied him than to spend any time dealing with the kingly matters that had befell upon him. Even worse, his wife Juana was even less inclined to rule than he was. Furthermore, Jaime V was an old man by then as his health began to falter. His energy and his intelligence remained the same, but his body was not. The king suffered this as a personal failure. Seeing that all he had achieved was in the hands of an unworthy son, he began to think of naming one of his nephews as an heir, even if he was strongly advised against doing that. However, even this proved to be difficult. His brother Juan, Duke of Palma (1438-1494), had a son, Pedro (b. in 1462); Tomas, Duke of Alcubierre (1440-1505) had two sons, Alfonso (b. in 1466) and Enrique (b. in 1472), and his younger brother, Ramon Berenguer, Duke of Lucena (1441-1502), had two sons, Berenguer (b. in 1452), and one daughter, María (b. in 1454), who was married to Pedro III of Urgell (1440-1466), with whom she had a son, Jaime, and two daughters. As his sister Blanca had only daughters, she was quietly ignored.

In spite of his best efforts, Jaime V's son managed to bring chaos to Castile in his brief tenure as Consort King by repeating the mistakes made by all the Trastámara kings that ruled before him, that is, by trusting unworthy men and by giving them too much power, the so-called "favoritos". However, his untimely death in 1485 solved the problem as the Castilian noblemen, determined to end with the power of the "favoritos" and unwilling to accept one of them as Regent for the child king, Jaime I of Castile (b. in 1482), asked the Aragonese monarch to take care of the kingdom. It was then when the health of Jaime V betrayed him as he suffered the first of the many crisis that would, eventually, send him to the grave in 1492. While Jaime's early reign had been energetic and successful, his later years were marked by inertia and political strife as the king withdrew to his private life and the affairs of the state increasingly relied on the help of his subordinates. thus, Juan of Palma in Aragon and Tomas of Alcubierre became the most important figures of the last years of Jaime V as they ruled the kingdom and kept it stable while the king withdrew further and further from politics, even more after the death of his heir.

This arragement granted the stability of Aragon and Castile in spite of all the troubles and the lack of kingly action. In 1487 Palma and Alcubierre embarked into the war that would put an end to the Muslim presence in Spain. While the Aragonese host took Vera (1487) and marched towards Almería, Alcubierre laid siege to Málaga, the only harbour of Granada. In spite of the weakened state of Granada, Málaga resisted with reinforcements sent by Abu Abd Allah al-Sheikh Muhammad ibn Yahya, Sultan of Morocco. until it surrendered in 1493. Almeria had been taken in 1489 and Baza a few months later. Both Palma and Alcubierre felt that Granada was on the verge of crumbling, but Boabdil managed longer than expected: Granada would not be taken until 1498.

By that time the young Jaime had been finally crowned as Jaime I of Castille and began to rule by himself in 1496. He left most of the ruling to Alcubierre but for the foreign relations. One of his first actions was an attempt to win the friendship of Charles VIII of France and, after his death, he courted Louis XII, but without too much success. Thus, after the conquest of Granada and at a whim of the future king, Castile began to ready itself for war at France. Then, on the following year, an exhausted Jaime V gave his soul to the Lord (November 25, 1499). His last words were to Juan of Palma: "My kingdoms, my poor people".

His time was over. It was the time to rule for Jaime VI of Aragon and I of Castile

Last edited:
Well the reconquista is over, All of Spain is under the rule of the House of Barcelona! The kingdoms were spared another "Impotente", can't wait to see what the first Dual Monarch will accomplish!

Well the reconquista is over, All of Spain is under the rule of the House of Barcelona! The kingdoms were spared another "Impotente", can't wait to see what the first Dual Monarch will accomplish!
Well, the kingdom was spared of an "impotente" and Europe is going to be spared of something quite bloody, divisive and long lasting... tit for tat...

Excellent chapter, can't wait for the next one. It would be interesting for the future if James conquers part of southern France in the next war.

Excellent chapter, can't wait for the next one. It would be interesting for the future if James conquers part of southern France in the next war.
Recovering Occitania is a "must" in my TLs... I'm refraining from doing it in this TL, but, you know... old habits die hard...

Last edited:
Chapter 13: To the new century and the New World (1499-1510)
Chapter 13: To the new century and the New World (1499-1510)

According to the biography of Jaime VI of Aragon and I of Castile written in the times of his son, the young king was transformed by a vision that he had during the mass for his late father. Apparently, the young king was plagued by a series of terrible nightmares where his kingdoms were laid to waste because of his complete disregard of kingly matters. Thus, he reacted and began his long way to become a good king. Thus, the "official" narration of the beginnings of Jaime VI/I.

The truth is a bit different. From 1496 (1499 in Aragon) to 1501, Jaime VI/I was an absent king that left the administration of his kingdoms in the hands of those who had been appointed by his late father and he devoted himself to his pleasures, adding one to them: he enjoyed going abroad, an incredible change keeping in mind that his predecessor hardly left the Peninsula. His first visit was to France in 1498, where he met Louis XII (1462-1515). As history has it, the French king was quite cold with his unwanted visitor, as Louis wanted an ally to fight Edward V of England and the Spanish king was only interested in arts and hunting. Thus, as Louis XII simply avoided meeting Jaime VI/I, the Spanish king left France quite angered. As we have seen, after the conquest of Grenada, he began to prepare to go to war with France. However, even after becoming king of Aragon too, Jaime VI/I was still doubting about what to do next. This would change after he visited England in 1501.

After the discovery of America by Columbus and the military successes of Edward V of England against Charles VIII of France, the English king was the paradigme of the good king: a chivalrous cultured prince that was taking his realms into the new century amidst of gold and glory. As Jaime VI/I returned to the Peninsula, he devoted himself into a complete upheaval of the Aragonese and Castilian economies. In this Jaime was to excel, as he was very skilful at extracting money from his subjects on many pretexts, including that of war with France or the exploration voyages. As the king managed to prove to his subjects that the money was well used and not wasted, he avoided any revolt or determined opposition in the Parliaments, as some of his ancestors had experienced. In this, Jaime VI/I was incredibly lucky, as the ruthlessly efficient mechanisms of taxation were not aimed at making him more popular. Also, by keeping the same administrators during his reign and replacing him by like-minded men when age came into play, he gave an unparalleled stability to Castile and ended the reconstruction of the Aragonese economy.

Jaime VI/I is not remembered by his conquests. He was not a warrior king and, in spite of his improvement as a ruler, he had little inclination towards military adventures. However, foreign affairs made him make up his mind. The troubled politics of Naples was to throw the south of Italy into disarray once more. The rivalry between Charles VIII of France and Rene II of Naples left the latter without French support, as the French king was determined to have the kingdom of Naples. However, the new war against England and the defeats in front of Edward V saved, for the while, the throne of René. However, his weak situation had embroiled the confused, fractious nature of Neapolitan politics. Thus, when the local nobility rebelled against René in November 1502 and offered the kingdom to Jaime VI/I, he wasted no time to send 6,000 men to Naples while he reinforced the defenses of Sicily, fearing a French retaliation against the island. However, in spite of the reinforcements he sent, by 1505. With his forces stalled in Naples, he signed the Treaty of Adria, by which he renounced any claim to the Neapolitan crown in exchange for monetary compensation. It must be added that, by then, Jaime VI/I had lost his interest in that side of the Mediterranean as he was determined to follow the English example and to set up a colony in the New World. As he subsidised shipbuilding to strength the navy, he also hired the Neapolitean Giovanni Caboto, who, with the financial banking of the Fluggers and of Jaime VI/I and granted letters patent fron Jaime, departed to America in March 1506.

Giovanni Caboto took part in the two first voyages of Columbus, but he was disappointed as neither Columbus nor Edward V paid any attention to his project. According to him, there was an island somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean which would allow to reach Catai in a more direct way, bypassing the islands discovered by Columbus. Thus, after failing to persuade Charles VII of France, Caboto ended in Sevilla, where Jaime VI/I was overseeing the expedition that was going to reinforce the Aragonese forces in Naples. It was 1505 and Caboto needed the best part of three months to eventually persuade the king to fund his project. Thus, as it has been told, he did not depart until March 1506. Caboto had to accept the presence of royal overseers in his expedition, which grew from the original three ships to nine. In his first exploration, Caboto he reached Brasil; there he encountered several Portuguese settlements, thus he kept sailing south and away from the Portuguese. Eventually, in September, 26, 1506 he built a fort in what he called Cabo de Santa María (Sant Mary Cape₁) , which was named as San Damián₂. Before Caboto returned to the area, Antón de Grajeda was dispatched with settlers to San Damián. It was the beginning of the exploration of what is today the coast of Argentina, which was explored by Caboto, de Grajeda and Juan Ortiz de Zárate. The original settlements built around Sant Mary Cape were to be used to explore the southern shores of the continent, searching the way to Catai.

This expansion brought conflict with Portugal, as Joao II of Portugal was angered by what he considered an invasion of the lands discovered by his explorers. This question was temporarily settled with the mediation of Pope Julius II. The treaty of Agnadello (1510) divided South America, between the Portuguese Empire and the Spanish Empire along an area which is today the Parallel 20 South.

Jaime VI/I was one of the first European monarchs to recognise the importance of Yorkist England, which had recovered quite fast from the chaos brought by the defeat in the Hundred Years War and the following War of the Roses (1472-1476). Richard III (r. 1476-1484) and Edward IV (r.1484-1504) had not only closed the wounds caused by the strife that had plagued England for the last century and a half; the latter king had launched Columbus to discover America and his son Edward V (r. 1504-1555) was not only expanding the English settlements in the New World but also settling old accounts with France, kicking Louis XII of France out of Flanders. It was the beginning of the First War of Flanders (1508-1514), placing England against France and the Empire. Eventually, the war would drag the united kingdoms of the Peninsula into the conflict, which would extend also into the New World.

₁ - PD Río de la Plata
₂ - PD Carmelo.

Last edited:
Excellent chapter, I wouldn't be surprised if later in ITTL the Spanish use the fuzzy boundaries to expand into Alto Peru and turn the Inca empire into a client state.

Chapter 14: Every End is a Beginning (1510-1516)
Chapter 14: Every End is a Beginning (1510-1516)

When Jaime V/I died in 1516, the union of Castile and Aragon had hardly begun. Both kingdoms shared a common monarch and a failed attempt to unify both the Parliaments and the legal system that left no trace whatsoever, but little else as the king soon became dissapointed when he faced the local opposition to the changes. Eventually, he quietly shelved his attempts to reinforce the royal power. It would be his heirs who would attempt to settle the question. Following with his foreign policy, Jaime I/VI married in 1510 his elder daughter, Margarita (1496-1548) to Edward, Prince of Wales (1491-1547), the elder surviving son of Edward V of England, binding even more the two countries; and prepared the wedding of his younger daughter, María (1503-1540), with Joao, the future Joao III of Portugal, which finally took place in 1521. He also formed a fruitless alliance with the then Holy Roman Emperor, Maximilian I.

Then, in 1509, his elder son, Jaime, died suddenly at Zaragoza, apparently of typhoid fever. The King surprised his courtiers by his intense grief and sobbing at his son's funeral. He even shut himself away for several days, refusing to speak to anyone.

During his lifetime, Barcelona and Valencia became his favourite cities and he took extreme pleasure in enjoying their fashionable courts. He also devoted a lot of effort to gather around himself a court of poets and all kinds of artists, but, from 1523 onwards, However, from 1471, this trend changed, he devoted himself and the rotal treasury to the growth of his military establishment. To this end, he relinquished at least some of the extravagance that had characterized his court. He reinforced the feudal hosts by employing foreign mercenaries, as his father had done, but in a larger scale, and by the augmentation of his artillery.

Determined to get rid from any embarrassing dependence on Parliament and creditors, Jaime sought by stabilize the economy in expenditure, by avoiding go to war and by promoting efficiency in the royal administration, and by increasing the revenue. To increase his income from customs dues, Henry tried to encourage exports, protect home industries, help Spanish shipping by a navigation act to ensure that Spanish goods were carried in Spanish ships, and find new markets with the voyages of discovery. More successful and fruitful was the vigorous assertion of royal fiscal rights, such as legal fees, fines and amercements, and feudal dues. So efficient and ruthless were Jaime's financial methods that he left a fortune to his successor and a legacy of hatred for some of his financial ministers.

Also, towards the end of his days, Jaime VI/I closely surveyed the discovery of the New World by sending expeditions fro San Damián to explore the surroundings of the colony. It was during those efforts that the legend of El Dorado appeared for the first time, thrilling Jaime VI/I, who dreamt at once about an endless source of gold and silver. This misunderstood tale would be the cause of a bloody conflict during the reign of his heir.

Jaime V/I died on 21 April 1516, and the 17-year-old new King, Eduardo I₁ of Aragon and I of Castile, succeeded him as king. In Aragon, the Parliaments of each kingdom attempted to curb the royal power sensing the vulnerability of the crown in that delicate situation. Thus, the young Eduardo was compelled to sign a new charter of rights (May 15, 1516) on the occasion of her Catalan coronation. Similar privileges were to be obtained by Castile during the coronation there.

₁ - Thus named for his English godfather, Edward IV.

Last edited:
Excellent chapter, I hope that if Edward starts intervening in wars in Europe his luck doesn't run out, mainly because I feel that the decision to abandon the fight for Italy will eventually come back to bite Spain in the ass.