AHC: Pentecostalism appeared in France in the 18th century

The Camisard movement in southern France, which staged a major revolt in 1702, is one of the earliest charismatic branches of Protestantism: the Huguenot clergy having been wiped out by the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the Huguenot peasants were forced to adapt by practicing prophetism. After the crushing of the Camisard revolt, some of the Camisards fled to England, creating the Shaker movement.

Another French charismatic movement, this time Catholic, is Convulsionary Jansenism, which emerged in 1727 with the death of François de Pâris, having provoked such religious fervor among the common people that some went so far as to self-mutilate. Convulsionary Jansenism was quickly outlawed, but some cults continued to exist well into the 19th century.

How could these two movements be brought together so that a form of Pentecostal Evangelicalism could emerge in the 18th century, take root in France and today count millions of French followers?

Last edited:
Speaking in tongues, the central element of Pentecostalism, was also practiced by the Camisards and Convulsionnaires.
But the entire doctrinal background behind Pentecostalism is lacking.

Convulsonaries were very much still Catholic-based in their theology, and Jansenists had some theological similarities with Calvinism, mainly on the matter of predestination. The cult of Francois de Paris is very much anathema to Pentecostal theology.

Camisards where Huguentos, and followed the Calvinist Tradition.

Beyond the emphasis on charisms, Pentecostals operate in the framework of Wesleyan-Arminian theology. As such, the mystical approach and Catholic background of the Convulsonaries sets them quite apart from Pentecostals, and the Calvinist Camisard can not be put in the same pot with Arminian Pentecostals.

And then there is the question of infant baptism.

So - maybe in the matter of charisms and possibly eschatology, there are similarities. But Pentecostalism can only be considered as a whole - so I doubt that any Camisard-Convulsionary syncretism would result in Pentecostalism.

But the entire doctrinal background behind Pentecostalism is lacking.

Convulsonaries were very much still Catholic-based in their theology, and Jansenists had some theological similarities with Calvinism, mainly on the matter of predestination. The cult of Francois de Paris is very much anathema to Pentecostal theology.

Camisards where Huguentos, and followed the Calvinist Tradition.

Beyond the emphasis on charisms, Pentecostals operate in the framework of Wesleyan-Arminian theology. As such, the mystical approach and Catholic background of the Convulsonaries sets them quite apart from Pentecostals, and the Calvinist Camisard can not be put in the same pot with Arminian Pentecostals.

And then there is the question of infant baptism.

So - maybe in the matter of charisms and possibly eschatology, there are similarities. But Pentecostalism can only be considered as a whole - so I doubt that any Camisard-Convulsionary syncretism would result in Pentecostalism.
A Pentecostalism created from a Camisard-Convulsionary syncretism doesn't necessarily have to respect the original doctrine of the latter two movements. Religious doctrines can change radically. There is, for example, a current sect ("La Famille") which has its roots in Convulsionary Jansenism, but no longer has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
I doubt that any Camisard-Convulsionary syncretism
There is, for example, a current sect ("La Famille") which has its roots in Convulsionary Jansenism, but no longer has anything to do with it.
I'm just in awe of the high level of knowledge, and thank you both! :)

I'll just add, similar to some people experiencing frisson ("goosebumps") in response to music, the amount someone is open to mystical religious experiences seems to be a pretty ingrained personal trait. How common this trait is will directly influence recruitment numbers. And how easily this trait inherits -- I'm guessing roughly in the neighbor of 70% ? ? ? -- will direct affect group cohesion, and how often children end up sticking with the religion of their parents.

I'm just in awe of the high level of knowledge, and thank you both! :)

I'll just add, similar to some people experiencing frisson ("goosebumps") in response to music, the amount someone is open to mystical religious experiences seems to be a pretty ingrained personal trait. How common this trait is will directly influence recruitment numbers. And how easily this trait inherits -- I'm guessing roughly in the neighbor of 70% ? ? ? -- will direct affect group cohesion, and how often children end up sticking with the religion of their parents.
I'm just French. "La Famille" made the headlines a few years ago here (a sect with cases of inbreeding and abuse)