Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes V (Do Not Post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible! Definitely very interesting to see how much an electoral college even in Britain can lead to massive victories out of nowhere.

Fun thing was, even when you strip out the 2 votes per county (the two Senators under the American Electoral College arrangement) you still get a May majority nevertheless.

The curious thing is, although I don't have the numbers, I'm convinced D. Cameron would not have a majority in 2015, largely because of Scotland.

This for 2017:

qmjRR5I.png

Not alternate history at all, really, but an IRL election (and very recent too) but with an alternate way of counting the votes. And the result surprised me when I got it:

(As a function of my absence, the images I've loaded vary in size wackily and massively - apologies, but I've no idea why)

Do you have the stats for this saved? If you do, I'd like to use them myself for something.

SoldierOfChrist: Distributive Republic
The Distributive Republic was a pirate state in Eridani that managed to survive for twelve years before infighting and the UNN Fleet put an end to its depredations. It was briefly reestablished in 2295 by Captain Zhaira Venzon, who in practice only ruled Yonaguni Station and its vicinity. The Distributive Diet was made up of delegates from each fleet but functioned as little more than a talk shop; the only institution with any real authority in the "republic" was the supreme tribunal, chaired by a Chief Magistrate elected by the fleet captains.

6Cz4KzM.png

SoldierOfChrist: 2012 Ukranian presidential election
The eighth septennial presidential election in the Ukraine was held on 11 August 2012. Incumbent President V.S. Aristov chose not to run for a third term, instead accepting a position on the Board of Directors of the Weltbank. In a surprise move, he tapped Ukrainian People's Army Ataman Brigadier V.M. Vovk to succeed him as the candidate for the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists – Patriotic Front (OUN–PF). Though he did not have previous political experience, Vovk was a veteran of the anti-Bolshevik counter-insurgency in Poland, and was highly personally popular among both veterans and Carpatho-Ukrainians. Many within the party viewed him as a breath of fresh air after fourteen years of the staid and bureaucratic Aristov and his so-called "corporate cabinet". The Ukrainian National People's Assembly (UNNA), the main opposition party, struggled to regain its momentum from the election of 2005, and after a lengthy intraparty struggle chose Pastor Dr. B.I. Rymlend as its candidate. A formidable public speaker, Rymlend was initially reluctant to run for office, but was persuaded to do so by Protestant leaders.

Like 2005, the general election was marred by political and sectarian violence, intimidation, and allegations of mass voter fraud. Debates between the candidates had more to do with personal style than policy suggestions. With superior funding and an energized base, Vovk ran a highly efficient negative campaign, questioning his opponent's patriotism, military service, financial dealings, and racial background– including a series of topical television ads decrying Rymlend as "a Jew in spirit" (Rymlend is a German Mennonite). In response, Rymlend's campaign distributed hundreds of pamphlets detailing his genealogy and family history. The accusations of Judaeo-Bolshevism stuck though, and with Rymlend on the defensive, Vovk was able to cruise to an easy victory. Despite this, Rymlend delivered the best results for the UNNA in years, and was the first opposition candidate to win the Crimea region, previously thought to be an OUN–PF stronghold.

Ukrainian_presidential_election_2012.png

Last edited:
Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists – Patriotic Front (OUN–PF)

In a surprise move, he tapped Ukrainian People's Army Ataman Brigadier V.M. Vovk to succeed him as the candidate for the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists – Patriotic Front (OUN–PF).

Like 2005, the general election was marred by political and sectarian violence, intimidation, and allegations of mass voter fraud.

With superior funding and an energized base, Vovk ran a highly efficient negative campaign, questioning his opponent's patriotism, military service, financial dealings, and racial background– including a series of topical television ads decrying Rymlend as "a Jew in spirit" (Rymlend is a German Mennonite).

The accusations of Judaeo-Bolshevism stuck though, and with Rymlend on the defensive, Vovk was able to cruise to an easy victory.

All of this is pretty terrifying, but I can't say I don't like it.

Questions:
  • I take it that Kiev isn't part of TTL!Ukraine?
  • How are TTL!Ukraine's relations with neighboring states, particularly Russia, Belarus (if it exists) and Poland?
  • How does the OUN–PF government treat ethnic minorities?

All of this is pretty terrifying, but I can't say I don't like it.

It's not a very pleasant world.

I take it that Kiev isn't part of TTL!Ukraine?

Kiev is actually part of the Ukraine, but it's not the capital. My mapmaking skills aren't great so it might not be obvious.

How are TTL!Ukraine's relations with neighboring states, particularly Russia, Belarus (if it exists) and Poland?

The Ukraine is allied with Germany and by extension the Polish "government", though most Ukrainians don't think much of Poles.

How does the OUN–PF government treat ethnic minorities?

Poorly.

Not alternate history at all, really, but an IRL election (and very recent too) but with an alternate way of counting the votes. And the result surprised me when I got it:

Notional results by ward here
Map of the wards here
Historic county map here

Some counties:

(Worcestershire has only five hundreds; sort that one out)

(As a function of my absence, the images I've loaded vary in size wackily and massively - apologies, but I've no idea why)

No Oxfordshire. :(

For further reference, I thought I'd explain how each President who died in office met their demise:
Crittenden- "A small cabal of Confederate sympathizers started a plot to assassinate President Crittenden. On October 15, 1862, they attacked his carriage while he was traveling, shooting him twice and killing him."

de Clinton- "Soon after taking office, President de Clinton became the fourth president in a row to be the target of an assassination attempt. He was shot, but narrowly survived. The assassin claimed to be a New England secessionist trying to save the Union from the Confederate tyranny of de Clinton. In a highly publicized trial, he was eventually found not guilty by reason of insanity. This ruling became even more controversial when, on June 17, 1878, President Nathaniel Jay de Clinton died after a period of sickness. It remains disputed whether the wounds he received in the assassination attempt contributed to his death."

Dewey- "Dewey suffers a major heart attack in office. While it initially seems as if he might recover, the president dies on February 14, 1890."

Blaine/Muller- Alexander J. de Clinton, son of the late President de Clinton, defeats Blaine in the 1892 Conservative convention when the President tries to run for a full term. In response, Blaine recreates the Democratic Party and runs as its nominee, and in a huge upset defeats both de Clinton and the Democratic-Republican candidate. Alexander doesn't take this all too well, and "de Clinton shoots and kills President Blaine during a town hall meeting held shortly after his inauguration on March 10th, 1893. The President survives through the first few bullets, but the last bullet is fatal and goes straight through his heart's veins and arteries. The President is declared dead on the scene. One of the bullets hit VP Muller, piercing his jugular vein and leaving him heavily bleeding on the ground. The blood loss is too rapid for doctors at the scene of the assassination to handle, and they declare the impromptu President dead just hours after Blaine is pronounced dead."

Bonaparte- "On November 3, 1903, President Henry Napoleon Bonaparte was shot by a self-proclaimed anarchist. He became briefly comatose and died a week after the incident."

Fitzgerald- "President Fitzgerald apparently could not handle the stress of his second term. He died after a stroke on November 15, 1921."

Hoover- Hoover was able to lead the country out of the Gatling Depression, but lost World War II, which cost him the election against Orleans and the Conservative candidate. In response, he ordered FBI Director Huey Long to have Orleans killed. Meanwhile, Hoover would try to dissolve Congress, and seize power as a dictator. However, Long decided to take Hoover on a drive into the Maryland countryside, and after the driver, who was in cahoots, handed him a pistol, "he suddenly slammed Hoover's head to the front seat and fired two rounds through the skull, then opened the door and kicked the body out to lay in the bushes nearby." A week later, the President's dead body was discovered, and the FBI revealed his plans to start a self-coup(with any evidence of their involvement wiped, of course). To this day, no one knows who the assassin was.

Orleans- "A few hours ago, Orleans decided to visit one of the poorer neighborhoods in Boston. Empathize with the commoners, stuff like that, give him some political bonus points. To not make it awkward for the locals, he decided to travel there only with light protection, a few guards, that's all. And what do you know - one of the local unemployed in the streets stole a pistol from somewhere and took a few shots at the President. He's been detained - name's John Kennedy, a number of diagnosed medical problems, unfit for service and decided to lay off his anger of the Commander-in-Chief - but the President is gravely injured."

Jones- "On December 23rd, 1966 in the midst of speaking to a crowd of college graduates at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana, an assassin shoots and kills President Jones during his speech and upon being tackled by the crowd, it's quickly discovered that the assassin is also a suicide bomber and the bomb in his chest detonates once he hits the ground, killing dozens of college graduates and gravely injuring both the President and Vice President. The assassin and suicide bomber is discovered to be Huey P. Newton, a radical black nationalist and a member of the SCLA who deeply hated President Jones for what he perceived to be his ambivalence on civil rights.

Both President Jones and Vice President Bell die within days of receiving their critical injuries, leaving Secretary of State Maxie Short as the next President of the United States by January of 1967."

Potter- Potter starts WWIII against communist Germany, who is TTL's version of the Soviet Union, in order to stop Generalplan Ost, a genocide being carried out in Eastern Europe. Unfortunately, Potter miscalculates when he tries to end the war quickly by overthrowing German leader Erich Mielke, and in response, Mielke starts a nuclear exchange that kills hundreds of millions across the globe. "In response to the widespread destruction brought by the nuclear strikes, disgraced former FBI Director B.O.B. Lennon[who had been fired by Potter earlier due to a scandal where the FBI spied on Potter's political opponents that had nearly gotten Potter himself impeached] decided to follow American tradition by orchestrating an assassination plot against President Potter. He would personally shoot the president while a bomb would dispose of as many cabinet officials as possible. Lennon, who sought to include as many people harmed by Potter's actions as possible, risked discovery due to the size of the plot, but the skilled spymaster remained undetected by the distracted federal government. The plot went into motion on April 20, 1984. The bomb was detected as soon as it entered D.C., triggering alarms throughout the city's security system. However, there was not enough time to save the president, who was shot by Lennon twice and died a few hours afterwards."

Murillo- In response to the Radical Murillo being elected, Louisiana Governor Jim Buckley announces the formation of the National Salvation Government, a far-right organization that wanted to overthrow Murillo and restore decades of conservative dominance. The government began treating the NSG as terrorists and in response, "Buckley took the actions of a terrorist and concocted a plot to kill President Murillo, Vice President Moon, and Secretary of State Bonaparte. The scheme went into action on May 1, 1987, May Day. National Salvation soldiers shot the President and Secretary of State; the former died hours later, while the later was initially expected to survive before his death on May 4. However, Vice President Moon was not at the scene and the terrorist sent to assassinate her was caught by security."
To make matters even more interesting, most Assassination after Blaine were initiative based, because were all a bunch of vengeful assholes over in sw :p

Also; SHORT BEST PRESIDENT

To make matters even more interesting, most Assassination after Blaine were initiative based, because were all a bunch of vengeful assholes over in sw :p

Also; SHORT BEST PRESIDENT
Crittenden- RNG
de Clinton- RNG
Dewey- RNG
Blaine/Muller- player initiated RNG
Bonaparte- RNG
Fitzgerald- RNG
Hoover- Killed off by controller
Orleans- Killed off by controller
Jones- RNG
Potter- player initiated RNG
Murillo- player initiated RNG

Crittenden- RNG
de Clinton- RNG
Dewey- RNG
Blaine/Muller- player initiated RNG
Bonaparte- RNG
Fitzgerald- RNG
Hoover- Killed off by controller
Orleans- Killed off by controller
Jones- RNG
Potter- player initiated RNG
Murillo- player initiated RNG
Wait Hoover was controlled?

SoldierOfChrist: Bel Marduk
The twenty-fifth vessel of Bel Marduk, First of the Gods, Lord of Lords, Lord of Oracles, and Reviver of the Dead, was born in a small farming dome tucked away in the ancient valley of Warrego Valles. A male child with a robust constitution, his legacy manifested itself at age twelve, when he developed eagle's talons on his feet. He was immediately taken to Tel Asmar and invested in the temple there. One hundred and ninety-four years later, he died together with his consort Sarpanit in combat against the Adversary on the slopes of Pavonis Mons, and ascended to join his kindred in the Hursag.

VEd6QdU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.