America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

Not bad, though some might stick with LGBT, or, those that find LGBT easier to pronounce.
OTL, LGBT came in use in the mid-1990s, with its earliest usage from what I found being 1988. Really wouldn’t be used here.

This would take the place of it. Though I suppose it would originally be STIM or something with those 4 as a precursor before SATMUNI would be used.

OTL, LGBT came in use in the mid-1990s, with its earliest usage from what I found being 1988. Really wouldn’t be used here.

This would take the place of it. Though I suppose it would originally be STIM or something with those 4 as a precursor before SATMUNI would be used.
True, though I can see some shortening it to something a bit more simpler to pronounce.

True, though I can see some shortening it to something a bit more simpler to pronounce.
Yeah, but “lesbian” and “gay” would be increasingly viewed as dated or noninclusive and “bi” would be overtaken by “multi”.

Hence possibly STIM or some sort of variant of that at first, but the others would come in by the 1990s, having SATMUNI or so perhaps just SATMIN instead at the default

Last edited:
I do appreciate all the feedback and the like and will still be happy to answer questions in the like as we’re in the middle of this 1980s!

I’ll try my best there XD

I would love some maps of the EC, honestly.

Edit: Also, reading through this for the first time, and no Rocky IV? We stop on Rocky III? Damn, that sucks. Rocky III's the worst of the original tetralogy and I love Rocky IV to bits. I assume this also means no Creed?

I would love some maps of the EC, honestly.

Edit: Also, reading through this for the first time, and no Rocky IV? We stop on Rocky III? Damn, that sucks. Rocky III's the worst of the original tetralogy and I love Rocky IV to bits. I assume this also means no Creed?
Electoral College you mean? Admittingly, the political maps aen't my strong suit and I thank @Pokemon Master for his help there with the presidential maps.

Yup, Rocky III is kinda where it ends. As for Creed... hard to say there.

@CountDVB Assuming NJ Governor Tom Kean (R) still wins reelection in a massive landslide victory by 40 points with 69% of the statewide vote, sweeping all 21 counties including garnering 62% of African Americans in this timeline like he did in real life?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_New_Jersey_gubernatorial_election
Hmm... that's assuming he wins in 1981. If he ran as a Republican, he would've definitely lost given how close his '81 election was. He could try again in 1985 if he ran as an independent and if the Dem incumbent was pretty weak.

This version of DC's crisis sounds really interesting. I liked the new name for LGBT in this TL. Overall Udall's second term is going off well and smoothly. Great job!

Curious how Udall is handling relations with Japan and China.
Japan I imagine as good as OTL and probably better. Japanese influence on American culture will be discussed when I talk about mid-80s culture.

US isn’t as close to China, if mainly because of Reagan delaying talkings as well as the economic problems doing so. They’re on pleasant terms, but China doesn’t have as much boonies from the US as OTL of the time. This will make a certain event more interesting…

That wouldn’t stop another Democrat from running and potentially winning though…
Glad you mentioned that because US Rep. Jim Florio (D-NJ) ran unsuccessfully for the Governorship in 1981 narrowly losing to Kean that year.

He would go onto winning the Governorship on his next attempt in 1989 in a landslide victory.

Changed it from SATMUNI to SATMIN to be easier and simpler (may be called SATMIN+ on occasion). Also, changed Iran flag since I found another design, just had the new symbol be red to match.

Who will Udall appoint to the Supreme Court during his second term? Will Chief Justice William Rehnquist still retire in September 1986 as he did in our timeline? If not when would he realistically retire and who would replace him as Chief Justice?

Winter 1986- Power of the People
Winter 1986- Power of the People

EDSA_Revolution_pic1.jpg

. People Power Revolution; February 1986 showing hundreds of thousands of people filling up Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (EDSA)
With the arrival of 1986, more and more changes were coming onto the world, especially with the revelations from the previous year. The Udall Administration was now motivated by the support of the people to make steps toward dealing with the possibility of manmade climate change, focusing on the beginnings of long term plans to deal with it. Plans including infrastructure changes and renovations mixed with ecofriendly developments and efforts. One such effort was by implementing a plan to replace property taxes with land value taxes, thanks to that having a large mix of support. Other plans included significant increase on dividends & capitalgains taxes to increase government income to deal with debt along with the plans for electrifying the line and construction of nuclear power plants to replace coal plants by working with certain companies and groups on the matter. Another challenge brought by the people is the creation of a new piece of legislation focused on expanding civil rights for the SATMIN Americans, protecting them from discrimination because of their sexual orientation and or gender identity, including regarding employment and so on. While American perspective on the SATMIN folk was still a bit mixed or unknown, they went along through a combination of trust in the administration and that it was a reform based on protection and the like. However, the Second Civil Rights Act would have greater rammifications as it would serve as a cultural signifier of the changing times and would send a signal to the pop culture forces that would cause a cycle to start spinning. Another would be the formation of Pixar Animation Studios, especially with how much of the team assisted in the computer animation affected of Land of the Wild.

It was just the start in showcasing the power of the people that would be going on. Over in the Philippines, the early months would see the power of peaceful revolution go. The snap presidential election in the Philippines earlier announced by President Ferdinand Marcos woulf be held despite the controversy and would lead to a chain of reactions. This would become known as the People Power Revolution. Civil resistance against the campaign fruad and the rule, it would be a strong message over to Marcos. After weeks of protesting, Marcos would go into exile in Hawaii after 20 years of rule. As such, Corazon Aquino becomes the first Filipino woman president, first as an interim president with Salvador Laurel becoming her vice president.[1] This would not be the only example regarding the changes in politics. Over in Haiti, the infamous President Jean-Claude Duvalier or "Baby Doc" as he was called, would flee, ending 28 years of family rule. Meanwhile, more eyes turned to the Soviet Union with Gorbachev would begin announcing some of his plans for reforms within the USSR: glasnost and perestroika. The former was regarding the USSR's increased openness and transparency like in terms of information while perestroika would be also for the economic reforms to help end the stagnation. One major project was some planned reforms that would see a modernized version of the NEP from Lenin's era be introduced to help bring a bit of fresh life into the economy along with taking notes on what China was doing. Another was the further interactions with the US and USSR for potential economic deals, primarily in the Soviet Union's need to catch up in the development of computer sciences. One fascinating outcome of this would be the Udall Administration actually inviting the Free Software Foundation for consultation for assisting the Soviet Union on the field of software, believing that the goals would align without asking for other computer companies to potentially get involved.

Of course, not everything was pleasant going right now. "Brain", the first ever PC virus would be unleashed onto the world of computers, showing that even this new technology has some enemies it will need to face though Brain itself was created not for malign purposes as it would be discovered. Meanwhiler, the launching of the Challenger was delayed due to a scandal going on in NASA. There have been growing concerns over the O-ring seals in one of the solid rocket boosters and anonymous calls for investigations would be answered. It would turn out that the concerns were wholly justified. Test data from as early as 1977 had revealed a potentially catastrophic flaw in the SRBs' O-rings, neither NASA nor Morton Thiokol, the SRB manufacturer, addressed or corrected the issue. NASA managers would also disregard warnings from engineers about the dangers of launching in cold temperatures and did not report these technical concerns to their superiors. Many noted that had it not been caught in time, the Challenger could've been seriously damaged or worse, killing everyone inside. As such, under the orders of Udall, NASA established the Office of Safety, Reliability and Quality Assurance to better address safety concerns, and commercial satellites would be launched on expendable launch vehicles rather than deployed from the crewed orbiter. [2] Many noted that this also came about because of the increased desire for people to call out irresonsible superiors and to uphold accountability, likely from how the Udall Adminsitration was able to hold Exxon accountable with the help of people doing the right thing and reporting unethical practices. However, one of the biggest shocks was the assassination of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme, causing investigations and even some conspiracy theorists blaming the apartheid regime in South Africa due to Olof Palme's speech a week before he was murdered calling for apartheid to be abolished andhelping support for the African National Congress. This would bring to mind more the calls for the end of apartheid, with the United States becoming more firm in standing against it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Informaton coming from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986
[2]- Information and phrasing coming from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

Last edited: