America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

You missed something minor Trudeau left the Liberal Party leadership in 1984 and was succeeded by John Turner who in turn lost the 1984 Canadian Federal Election to Brian Mulroney. Also one more question did Trudeau get re-elected in 1979 because his party did win the popular vote in our timeline? The NDP stayed roughly around 18 to 20% from 1980 to 1988 so maybe they get around like 23% or something like that? I don't know much about the NDP from that time period other than that in 1993 they dropped to 9 seats (just barely more than the 2 seats the Progressive Conservatives won). I suggest researching Ed Broadbent or other possible NDP leaders and see how they could've gained more popularity in Canada during this much more liberal 1980s in this timeline because I, ironically, personally don't know much about Canadian politics from before the 1990s.
Thank you! Yeah, I’m still trying to figure out how to reflect on everything. There’s a lot to cover after all.

Which is why I appreciate everyone’s feedback and whatnot.

Regarding the first half of the 1980s, which nations I need to cover politically or will have the most influence? It’s for an incoming update

A gateway to 80s bronies?

Cool
Sorta. More a gateway for more kids, especially girls, to get into D&D. MLP Gen 1 was pretty okay and here better than OTL, but we haven’t reached Gen 4’s legendary status yet
Keep in mind that TTL’s G1 MLP is likely what’s keeping a certain young girl named Lauren Faust glued to her tv screen. G4 was inspired by Faust’s childhood playtime with the toys.

Either way, I think the show’s already broken the “girl show” cliche a bit. Neither G3 (and especially the atrocious G3.5) are likely to exist.

Keep in mind that TTL’s G1 MLP is likely what’s keeping a certain young girl named Lauren Faust glued to her tv screen. G4 was inspired by Faust’s childhood playtime with the toys.

Either way, I think the show’s already broken the “girl show” cliche a bit. Neither G3 (and especially the atrocious G3.5) are likely to exist.
Yeah. Not as many toy-based show as you can tell. The writing is modestly better, but the more long-term of it would be a gradual increase in writing effort and so on, especially as those who grew and charged on the third wave would take on those roles of writing and creating.

Would Stranger Things exist in this timeline's future and would it be at all any different during this much different 1980s?
Hmmm... it probably will, given the pattern of nostalgia waves coming every 30 or so years. I imagine it would be different, but in a bunch of subtle ways mostly and a couple of big ways such as SPOILER: No Soviet Union antagonists. Don't know what else.

Hey I was checking out Blue Skies in Camelot (a timeline where Marilyn Monroe never overdosed in 1962 and JFK was never assassinated in 1963) by @President_Lincoln and here is a list of cabinet members in 1977 under President Mo Udall
President: Mo Udall
Vice President: Lloyd Bentsen
Secretary of State: George Ball
Secretary of Treasury: W. Michael Blumenthal
Secretary of Defense: Cyrus Vance
Attorney General: Shirley Hufstedler
Secretary of the Interior: John F. Seiberling
Secretary of Agriculture: George McGovern
Secretary of Commerce: Juanita M. Kreps
Secretary of Labor: Walter Reuther
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Patricia R. Harris
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Walter Washington
Secretary of Transportation: Yvonne B. Burke
Chief of Staff: Stewart Udall
EPA Administrator: Douglas M. Costle
Director of OMB: Samuel P. Goddard, Jr.
U.S. Trade Representative: Joseph Montoya
U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations: Andrew Young

I’ll check these out later though I am now reminded of something: executive orders.

I’m wondering how much can be done with them, especially if it would be things that would affect Congress…

What would this timeline be like if John B. Anderson ran for President in 1980 and won narrowly (after nearing defeating President Reagan in a primary challenge) in the electoral college and popular vote with Mo Udall as his running mate becoming the first Independent President elected since George Washington and was assassinated by John Hinckley Jr. on March 30, 1981. How would Udall's presidency continue if he was an Independent? Would he seek re-election in 1984? As an Independent or a Democrat?
Edit: And would he still pick Democratic former Governor of Florida Reubin Askew as his Vice President or would he pick someone else?

If you haven't touched on this already, how supportive would Udall be of Israel?

Not as much as most OTL presidents, as part of the broader sense of focusing on domestic policy. That and with Iran not a danger means Israel getting a breather of sorts and having to rely more on itself.

What would this timeline be like if John B. Anderson ran for President in 1980 and won narrowly (after nearing defeating President Reagan in a primary challenge) in the electoral college and popular vote with Mo Udall as his running mate becoming the first Independent President elected since George Washington and was assassinated by John Hinckley Jr. on March 30, 1981. How would Udall's presidency continue if he was an Independent? Would he seek re-election in 1984? As an Independent or a Democrat?
Edit: And would he still pick Democratic former Governor of Florida Reubin Askew as his Vice President or would he pick someone else?

That's not really the point of this timeline though, sorry. I'll see if I can try and find some way to mention that.

That's not really the point of this timeline though, sorry. I'll see if I can try and find some way to mention that.
Sorry about that. I know that it's not really any point in answering my question since it doesn't have any effect on this timeline but I just thought about it was wondering. I was thinking maybe he would make his own party called the Liberal Party consisting of liberal Republicans and social Democrats. Would his legacy be even more positive in this timeline if he served as President who essentially founded the Seventh Party System?

It's not my cup of tea, so this receives the Portguese Congo award, for effort & skill, but it remains that I cannot pass true judgement on it.
Flag_map_of_Portugeuse_Congo_(1883-1885).png

Political Retrospection: 1980 - 1984 Part 1
Political Retrospection: 1980 - 1984 Part 1

The Anglosphere
With the ascension of President Udall within the United States starting in 1980, it presented the message that the Anglosphere would be maintaining a progressive course. The first term of the Udall Administration would see an emphasis on domestic policy, firs tin helping the economy recovery through stimulations while having reforms to ensure regulation on big buisness. The actions against Big Tobacco and the fossil fuel industry further reinforced this need for regulaton on big business, especially for their willingness to lie to the public and endanger them for the sake of profit. While the Americans have been seeing the public welfare and infrastructure grow, it also came with a more silent approach on foreign policy. This loss of support would have various impacts, such as on certain autocracies in Latin America or on the martial law quasi-theocratic rule over in Pakistan. Even more traditional and closer allies like Israel would find themselves with not as much as American support in certain aspects or areas. This was met with some complaints, but given the debacle of the Panama incident and the large reforms the Udall administration was able to put in unopposed, it was viewed as the right thing to do at home. It also helped increased their standing abroad as well.

Meanwhile, the ongoing popularity bit he left would also be reflected in how Callaghan would be reelected over in 1978 thanks to his decision on elections and despite the Winter of Discontent jeopardizing that, the blame being offset toward the economic issues influenced by Reagan's mishandling of Panama leading to the damage of the canal would help out plenty. This combined with some American help and the British victory in the Falklands' War, this would allow the Labour party to remain in power thanks to the upswing of popularity. However, upon winning reelection, Callaghan made it clear that it would be his final term before going into retirement, giving a few years for the Labour party to find a new leader. The Tories meanwhile did not suffer too much under Whitelaw though there has begun a power struggle for the Tories in terms of direction. All while the British coped under various problems. Inner city decay, unemployment, the heavy-handed treatment of ethnic minorities and the bitter conflicts with the IRA, marked by violent skirmishes and complicated talks and arrangements.

Canada meanwhile would see Pierre Trudeau win in 1980 once more and be Prime Minister of Canada yet again. He would be balancing the troubles over in Quebec along with the controversial NEP program that alienated the western provinces. However, PC candidate Brian Mulroney’s attempts at a grand coalition did not go as intended, if namely because because of the rise of SATMIN civil rights and third-wave feminism would also influence similar factors in Canada, though they were able to form a minority government nonetheless, especially with Trudeau retiring from politics. Australia meanwhile would see Bob Hawke leading the Labor government to victory over in 1983.

Latin America
Latin America would see plenty of hope rise up after the years of trouble and strife caused by Operation Condor and other US meddling. Ironically, it would all be caused by the US’s failures in handling the Panama Canal and it would spread from there. Udall withdrew all of his support from the juntas and the autocrats that had been supported by previous governments and would be left high and dry for the angry people and revitalized movements to go forth and start a domino effect of ousting many crooked and unpopular governments.

Additionally, the debt crisis in 1982 would see a miracle for their development as they would be granted vast amounts of debt relief from that of the loans to rebuild infrastructure, thanks to influence of the Americans, who noted that forcing them to implement austerity measures or similar practices some of the IMF folk would be detrimental to the economic recovery because it would discourage investment and make it even harder for them to pay their debts. As such, most of the debt would be forgiven and the rest renegotiated regarding rates and all without the Latin American nations being forced to implement austerity policies or the like, the result being a more optimistic outlook and a return to better relations with the Americans.

Overall, things would be looking up for them as they would begin picking themselves back up and finishing developing their economies and infrastructures, determined to see it and through and wondering what will be coming next.