An Idea for a timeline

In this possible timeline, Krishnadevaraya, King of The Vijayangara empire, lives until 1532. Would anyone be interested in such a timeline?

Thande

Donor
Rule 23 of AH.com: if you're going to posit a POD in an obscure area of history, make sure you lay your groundwork first. No point in exploring an ATL if no-one knows what the OTL is.

Rule 23 of AH.com: if you're going to posit a POD in an obscure area of history, make sure you lay your groundwork first. No point in exploring an ATL if no-one knows what the OTL is.
This. So many times over, this.

If you do expand on that idea, make sure you don't just jump in at the time of the POD, but instead backtrack a bit and explain the period setting and political circumstances of the time.

Thande

Donor
This. So many times over, this.

If you do expand on that idea, make sure you don't just jump in at the time of the POD, but instead backtrack a bit and explain the period setting and political circumstances of the time.

Yep. I do it myself a lot in LTTW when covering the East: not initially on purpose, I just had a tendency to write down what had led up to it just to get my research clear and straight in my head.

Yep. I do it myself a lot in LTTW when covering the East: not initially on purpose, I just had a tendency to write down what had led up to it just to get my research clear and straight in my head.
I've been trying to get in the habit of covering the backstory of whatever TL I'm working on at the time, but I'm always uncertain about what needs to be covered. Do I need to explain the background of every Dutch state in the United Provinces? Do people know where Gelderland is? If I'm writing about financial troubles in 1877, do I have to explain the Panic of 1873 to readers? Does anybody really care, or will they just roll with whatever I say?

It's a tricky business.

Thande

Donor
I've been trying to get in the habit of covering the backstory of whatever TL I'm working on at the time, but I'm always uncertain about what needs to be covered. Do I need to explain the background of every Dutch state in the United Provinces? Do people know where Gelderland is? If I'm writing about financial troubles in 1877, do I have to explain the Panic of 1873 to readers? Does anybody really care, or will they just roll with whatever I say?

It's a tricky business.

In the words of my boss, "you can never underestimate your audience".

And I have no idea about any of the things you referenced, no exaggeration.

maverick

Banned

I disagree...viewers are morons.

Gelderland is a province in the Netherlands, in the east I believe (I specifically remember it from that Heath Ledger movie)

The Panic of 1873 was the start of the Long Depression in the United States, a result of the dumbassed monetary policies they followed after the Civil War. Very important and related to the Gold vs Silver fight in the USA.

The troubles to which he's referring have something to do with the Panic of 1873, I suppose.

I disagree...viewers are morons.

Isn't that what Thande said?

Gelderland is a province in the Netherlands, in the east I believe (I specifically remember it from that Heath Ledger movie)

The Panic of 1873 was the start of the Long Depression in the United States, a result of the dumbassed monetary policies they followed after the Civil War. Very important and related to the Gold vs Silver fight in the USA.

The troubles to which he's referring have something to do with the Panic of 1873, I suppose.
Maverick has the right of it. I am, of course, merely trying to inflate my ego and reference things in the two major TLs I've worked on here thus far.

Actually, it's more than that. It's partly a result of the Franco-Prussian war, where France paid Germany a whole heap of gold, which Germany largely sat on. This removed a large supply of the world's gold from circulation, and, as the world economy was expanding fast due to new inventions and investment, and as there were no major new gold discoveries at the time, the entire global economy had sand thrown in its gears due to lack of currency.

maverick

Banned
Actually, it's more than that. It's partly a result of the Franco-Prussian war, where France paid Germany a whole heap of gold, which Germany largely sat on. This removed a large supply of the world's gold from circulation, and, as the world economy was expanding fast due to new inventions and investment, and as there were no major new gold discoveries at the time, the entire global economy had sand thrown in its gears due to lack of currency.

Yeah, I know, I just didn't want to type that much, so I went with "it had something to do with the Gold and Silver thingy":eek:

Wait a second, back to topic.

Are you writing that Indian TL or not, Sol?

mowque

Banned

Its is tricky though. How well does the average AH.commer know about the Portuguese revolt in 1910? :confused:

Its is tricky though. How well does the average AH.commer know about the Portuguese revolt in 1910? :confused:
The best rule of thumb is thus: If it isn't either of the World Wars, the Civil War, or the American Revolutionary War, they likely don't know all that much about it.

I wasn't even aware that there was a revolt in Portugal in 1910.

maverick

Banned
The best rule of thumb is thus: If it isn't either of the World Wars, the Civil War, or the American Revolutionary War, they likely don't know all that much about it.

I wasn't even aware that there was a revolt in Portugal in 1910.

It ended the Monarchy and established the Republic.

That's frankly as much as anybody needs to know unless the Timeline is specifically about Portuguese Politics...