DBWI: President Franklin D. Roosevelt wasn't assassinated?

As we all obviously know, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was a politician who was elected the 32nd president of the United States, and died in 1933, just weeks before being sworn in as president. On February 15th, 1933, as FDR had just finished giving a speech in Miami's Bayfront Park from the back of his open tour car, a man named Giuseppe Zangara suddenly stepped forward and fired six rounds at the car, killing FDR instantly. Chicago mayor Anton Cermak was also hit by one of the shots in the shooting but survived. Eventually, Vice President-elect John Nance Garner was sworn in as the president of the United States, though he ended up becoming extremely unpopular with the public due to the way he handled the Great Depression, and he ultimately lost the 1936 presidential election as a result. FDR’s death would later become known as one of the most important events in the 20th century, and to this day, February 15th is still considered a very tragic, but important day in the US.

That being said, I want to ask - what do you think would've happened if president-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt hadn't been assassinated on that fateful day in 1933? How do you think he would've handled the Great Depression as president? Would he get re-elected in 1936? Would he still die while in office, or would he be able to complete his presidential term without any more issues? Please tell me what you think.

Last edited:

colonel

Donor
As we all obviously know, Franklin Delano Roosevelt was the 32nd president of the United States, who died in 1933, just weeks after being sworn in as president. On February 15th, 1933, as President Roosevelt had just finished giving a speech in Miami's Bayfront Park from the back of his open tour car, a man named Giuseppe Zangara suddenly stepped forward and fired six rounds at the car, killing President Roosevelt. Chicago mayor Anton Cermak was also hit by one of the shots in the shooting but survived. Later that day, Vice President John Nance Garner was sworn in as the 33rd president of the United States, though he ended up becoming extremely unpopular with the public due to the way he handled the Great Depression, and he ultimately lost the 1936 presidential election as a result. President Roosevelt's death would later become known as one of the most important events in the 20th century, and to this day, February 15th is still considered a very tragic, but important day in the US.

That being said, I want to ask - what do you think would've happened if President Roosevelt hadn't been assassinated on that fateful day in 1933? How do you think he would've handled the Great Depression? Would he get re-elected as president in 1936? Would he still die while in office, or would he be able to complete his presidential term without any more issues? Please tell me what you think.
Actually that visit to Florida was originally scheduled before the inaguration, but was moved at the last minute. Garner actually tried to keep Roosevelt's policies and cabinet, but he just lacked the charisma. Although if the policies didn't work under Roosevelt, charisma wouldn't have saved him. The GOP did no better, recall Alf Landon couldn't even get renominated in 1940.

I would say that Roosevelt likely had a plan and was elected to resolve the great Depression and likely would have either done so or at least helped. Then in 1940 he's succeeded by a republican. Maybe Wendell Wilkie, who takes us into war with Japan and Germany, which would likely be a victory with the Depression resolved. Wilkie died in 1944 so he would die before the war ended and be succeeded by his Vice President. Maybe Thomas Dewey, who would probably win reelection. I'm not sure who would be President in 1953, presumably a Democrat and maybe a war hero. my money's on George S.Patton. After that I'm not really sure. I feel like Joseph Kennedy Sr would run in 1960 but would be unlikely to win. it would likely be a Republican.

I don't think anything would have been different: despite the romanticization of FDR, no American President could have successfully navigated the turbulent waters of the Depression. At least the US avoided fascism or Communism (despite the success some of those movements enjoyed in local and state politics) - and the war in Europe under President McNutt helped bring back prosperity.

One big difference - stifled by the position of First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt would never have been free to be so active on behalf of civil rights and international diplomacy.

Actually that visit to Florida was originally scheduled before the inaguration, but was moved at the last minute. Garner actually tried to keep Roosevelt's policies and cabinet, but he just lacked the charisma. Although if the policies didn't work under Roosevelt, charisma wouldn't have saved him. The GOP did no better, recall Alf Landon couldn't even get renominated in 1940.

(OOC: Sorry, I got the info wrong a bit - I thought the inauguration date for the president was already Jan 20 by the time FDR was elected. I fixed it now)