Different Korean Borders

What if North Korea and South Korea had different borders? How would alternate borders appear? What would be the effects? Would we see an East Korea/ West Korea?

It depends who gets more land. But if the North gets more then they'l be slightly better whilst the South will be slightly weaker. If the South gets more then North Korea would have collapsed by now.

We probaly would never see a West/East Korea based around the geography of the peninsula, with a Chinese\Rusian Border in the North and a japanese sea border in the south. You might see alternate borders if they were never annexed by Japan in 1910, or perhaps had it been annexed by China or another foreign power before that date.

Kim_il_sung.jpg

If the north takea it all then this guy is now the God-Emperor of Mankind (well the Korean part of it:p)

You think I'm kidding? He's still president of the current-day RL North Korea despite being dead for 15 years.

He even has his own Golden Throne…Er I mean big-assmausoleum where the faithful can go and pray. Again I'm not kidding in the DPRK Kim II Sung is GOD.

If the north takea it all then this guy is now the God-Emperor of Mankind (well the Korean part of it:p)

You think I'm kidding? He's still president of the current-day RL North Korea despite being dead for 15 years.

He even has his own Golden throne…Er I mean big-assmausoleum where the faithful can go and pray. Again I'm not kidding in the DPRK Kim II Sung is GOD.
I thought Kim Jong Il was God? Or is this a polytheist system?

Anyway, in OTL the post-Korean War borders differ somewhat from the parallel and are based off of front line- could one have a situation (either with or without a Korean War) where the parallel exactly survives as the border? Of course, that's not a huge difference.

Kissinger argues in Diplomacy that China would not have intervened in the war had UN forces stopped at the peninsula's narrowest northern line after Inchon. So if someone in the White House understood how scared Mao was you might see the area north of that line be demilitarized, though I'm not sure if anyone would have accepted a rump North Korea there before the Chinese crossed the Yalu. Maybe as a temporary administration before unification, like the way Vietnam was divided at Geneva.

Last edited:
We probaly would never see a West/East Korea based around the geography of the peninsula, with a Chinese\Rusian Border in the North and a japanese sea border in the south. You might see alternate borders if they were never annexed by Japan in 1910, or perhaps had it been annexed by China or another foreign power before that date.

I dunno, I think it could be done. Two rough ideas.
Also bare in mind China was thought of as belonging to to the nationalists still at the time of formation of Korea. Its not too unfeasable the Chinese border be assumed to be a friendly one (though Mao and the Soviets did control that area at the time).

untitled.PNG

Kissinger argues in Diplomacy that China would not have intervened in the war had UN forces stopped at the peninsula's narrowest northern line after Inchon. So if someone in the White House understood how scared Mao was you might see the area north of that line be demilitarized, though I'm not sure if anyone would have accepted a rump North Korea there before the Chinese crossed the Yalu. Maybe as a temporary administration before unification, like the way Vietnam was divided at Geneva.

I've often wondered about this myself... WI the UN forces had stopped on the 40th Parallel and annexed everything south of that to SK? Would China get all upset about that, or accept the new status quo?

Looking at Leej East/West border design map, if they had drawn the borders like that security along that long border would have been very difficult.

This was a map of the two Koreas showing the border before the war which was the 38 parallel. And the truce line where the border is currently located. SK. lost some territory on there West Coast but made gains on there East Coast. NK. gain a seacoast looking South and closer to the SK. Capital on there West coast. SK. should have moved there Capital South.
They say 50% of SK. economy is based in and around there Capital. It is only 20 miles to the border with NK. so in a war they will get hit.

korean_war_map.jpg

Problem with the UN forces was that they were moving fast while there supplies lagged behind. Also, the supply line becoming long. They needed to slow down and let supplies catch up. The Chinese and Soviets did not want the UN near there borders so the Chinese got involved.

Last edited:
No, Kim Jong Il is the son of God, ergo Kim Jong Il is Jesus. Now if only we could get him to die for our sins...

from a humour forum elsewhere:

Who will succeed the leader of North Korea, Kim Jeong-il?
Obviously, Kim Jeong-yee.
And who will succeed Kim Jeong-yee?
Obviously, Kim Jeong-sam.
(In Korean, il = 1, yee = 2, and sam = 3. Well, the Koreans find this laugh-out-loud funny.)

A line from south of P'yongyang to Wonsan, very defensible. NK small & very weak, no Chinese intervention..and now its the NK capital in artillery range across the DMZ, not Seoul

I dunno, I think it could be done. Two rough ideas.
Also bare in mind China was thought of as belonging to to the nationalists still at the time of formation of Korea. Its not too unfeasable the Chinese border be assumed to be a friendly one (though Mao and the Soviets did control that area at the time).

How does that make any sense? Chiang's government being recognised as the legitimate Chinese goverment doesn't mean that people are just going to ignore the fact that the Chinese border was under Communist control. They might hope that Communist control would fail but they wouldn't assume that the border was going to be friendly.

from a humour forum elsewhere:

Who will succeed the leader of North Korea, Kim Jeong-il?
Obviously, Kim Jeong-yee.
And who will succeed Kim Jeong-yee?
Obviously, Kim Jeong-sam.
(In Korean, il = 1, yee = 2, and sam = 3. Well, the Koreans find this laugh-out-loud funny.)
Actually, if I Remember My Conversational Korean Correctly, Hana = 1, Dul = 2, While Set = 3 ...

Il, Yi, and Sam, on The Other Hand, Would Instead be MORE Correctly Rendered as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ...

Which Quite Frankly, Just Winds up Simply Making The Joke Funnier!

:D

Actually, if I Remember My Conversational Korean Correctly, Hana = 1, Dul = 2, While Set = 3 ...

Il, Yi, and Sam, on The Other Hand, Would Instead be MORE Correctly Rendered as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ...

Which Quite Frankly, Just Winds up Simply Making The Joke Funnier!

:D

No, that's not how it works. Hana, dul, set, etc are Korean numerals, and Il, Yi, Sam, etc are Sino-Korean numerals. They're both used to express numbers, but are used in different contexts. Exactly which context you're supposed to use which system is largely learned through context, there isn't an easy method that can be describe in a sentence or less.

For examble, to tell the time they use Korean numerals for the hour, and Sino-Korean numerals for the minutes.

I've always wondered what a world with a much smaller South Korea would look like, particularly one where North Korea is ruled from Seoul while the rump south centred on Busan. I think a smaller south would be more influenced by Japan, and that linguistic differences would be ever stronger than in OTL.

I can imagine a system where, as in OTL, the North Koreans remove the use of Chinese characters from their written script, and promote a standard dialect based on the Seoul accent instead of that of Pyongyang. The Gyeongsang-do dialect of Busan and it's environments may dominate the south (except perhaps for Jeolla and Jeju). Japanese influence may mean that the South retains a higher usage of Chinese characters than is the case in OTL.

Busan would likely be a larger, and much more internationally known city. Pyongyang would be a backwater.

No, that's not how it works. Hana, dul, set, etc are Korean numerals, and Il, Yi, Sam, etc are Sino-Korean numerals. They're both used to express numbers, but are used in different contexts. Exactly which context you're supposed to use which system is largely learned through context, there isn't an easy method that can be describe in a sentence or less.

For examble, to tell the time they use Korean numerals for the hour, and Sino-Korean numerals for the minutes.

I've always wondered what a world with a much smaller South Korea would look like, particularly one where North Korea is ruled from Seoul while the rump south centred on Busan. I think a smaller south would be more influenced by Japan, and that linguistic differences would be ever stronger than in OTL.

I can imagine a system where, as in OTL, the North Koreans remove the use of Chinese characters from their written script, and promote a standard dialect based on the Seoul accent instead of that of Pyongyang. The Gyeongsang-do dialect of Busan and it's environments may dominate the south (except perhaps for Jeolla and Jeju). Japanese influence may mean that the South retains a higher usage of Chinese characters than is the case in OTL.

Busan would likely be a larger, and much more internationally known city. Pyongyang would be a backwater.
Hmmm, Well I Bow to your Superior Experience ...

So, does that All Wind up Meaning that The Eventual, Kim Jong Sam ...

Should just go, and Name his Son, Kim Jong SA?

:confused: