Part 76: American Decolonization
Part 76: American Decolonization

The Second Global War and its aftermath changed the New World permanently. France and Spain had lost most of their North American colonies to Commonwealth occupation. Over time, though, the Americans grew increasingly tired of occupying such a large and hostile area, and the government was split over what to do. Some wanted to integrate them as new provinces, while others thought it’d be better if they were established as client states. Meanwhile, the Spanish increasingly saw the writing on the wall for their New World empire, and were entering into negotiations to create separate dominions from their South American viceroyalties. The population of Spanish South America was larger than that of Spain itself and growing far more rapidly (especially after the First Global War, when a massive amount of Spaniards left for South America), so there was no way to hold onto it long term.

Aside from the expensive occupations, the Commonwealth of America was booming after the war. Spirits were flying high, the cities were booming and the time from 1916 to 1928 became known as The Golden Dozen (you can probably guess how it ends if you’re familiar with how OTL’s 1920s ended). In South America, Brazil was experiencing a boom in their cities as millions of immigrants from Europe (primarily from Spain and Italy) flooded into the country during the Late 1910s and most of the 1920s, to the point where over half of Montevidéu’s population was born in Europe, and other Brazilian cities like Sao Paulo, Rio, Porto Alegre and Assunção weren’t that far behind.

Still, the main focus is on Spanish and French America in this update, so I’ll get back to that. In 1920, the Commonwealth of America began the process of withdrawing from the territories they’d been occupying. The Commonwealth also negotiated with political figures from the occupied territories and with the French and Spanish to develop a plan for the post-occupation map of North America. The Commonwealth outright refused to allow the return of the Bourbons to North America, while the French and Spanish wouldn’t accept any Commonwealth client states, so a compromise was reached to release Mexico, La Floride, Cuba and Hispaniola as independent Republics. Meanwhile, The Spanish passed the American Dominion Acts in 1924, releasing the three South American viceroyalties as self-governing Dominions. The French also negotiated the return of Terre-Bourbon, much to the chagrin of Anglo-Australians, who were by this point becoming much more in favor of complete independence.

A new era had dawned in The Americas. With the exception of some Caribbean islands, the British in Patagonia and the Dutch in Guyana, the New World was officially decolonized, which would serve as a spark for independence movements elsewhere in the world, but that’s a topic for another time.

North America in 1930
ECFC North America 1930.png

Here is a separate world building thread I've started.

Before I get to work on the Russian Civil War between Republicans and Monarchists, I'd like to see some ideas where each side would be strongest geographically and in terms of demographics/social classes. I'm assuming that Central Asia and the Caucasus would break off during the war, though, since the Russians would be busy fighting each other.

Part 77: The Southern Dominions
Part 77: The Southern Dominions

By the 1920s, European decolonization of the New World was in full swing, but there were a few exceptions. Patagonia was still a British colony, while all of Terra Australis was still under European rule. However, nationalism was a rising force in these regions, especially in British Australia. Australia had began as a penal colony and many of the settlers were Celtic, so naturally the Anglo-Australians had somewhat of a bone to pick with the mother country. This bone only grew larger when the British returned the Australian-occupied territory of Terre-Bourbon to France. The non-Indigenous population of British Australia had grown to 5.5 Million by 1930, larger than the population of the rest of the continent combined.

Meanwhile, in South America, Patagonia was also seeing a growth in nationalism, albeit not as much as in Australia. The population of Patagonia had grown to 1.16 Million by 1930, 15% of whom lived in and around White Bay. Extensive immigration of British, Irish and Germans continued, albeit at a slowed pace as more of the Pampas was claimed and the Second Global War shut down emigration routes. Patagonia was mostly empty, with significantly more sheep than people, but there were some towns like Boulder, Gloucester, Saint Anthony and Eskel.

Anyway, in 1927, the British Parliament passed the Australian Dominion Act, releasing Australia as an independent dominion on January 26th, 1928, picking the anniversary of the foundation of Port Jackson in 1788. Australia elected to put the capital in
Albury, since it was closer to Melbourne but in New South Wales, the same region as Port Jackson.

The 100th anniversary of the foundation of Williamstown in Patagonia was fast approaching, and the British figured that it’d be awfully symbolic to grant Patagonia independence on the 100th anniversary of it’s foundation. Thus, the Patagonia Act of 1931 was passed, granting Patagonia independence on July 31st, 1932, 100 Years after the establishment of the Patagonia colony (I didn’t give a specific date in that post, but I did bring up that it was a little over 80 days from May 4th that the colony was founded, and July 31st just so happens to fit that description. I picked the last day of the month because I was getting a bit tired of using the first day of a month). Despite Williamstown being the first settlement, the capital was put in
White Bay, the largest and most important city in Patagonia. Thus, the last two major British settler colonies were now independent, and this would also serve to inspire independence movements in the other colonies. I’m not sure how to wrap this up, so I’ll just clock out right here. Have a great day!

What do you guys think is most likely to happen in Russia? I've got a few scenarios that I think could happen.
  • Civil War between Monarchists and Republicans (I'll need to find a good flag for the Republicans, the Russian White-Blue-Red Tricolor is already taken). If this is the case, I'll put up a poll to determine the result.
  • Czar abdicates, and Russia is proclaimed a Republic.
  • A prominent Russian general pulls a Mussolini, effectively making Russia into a Military Dictatorship and the Czar into a figurehead.

What do you guys think is most likely to happen in Russia? I've got a few scenarios that I think could happen.
  • Civil War between Monarchists and Republicans (I'll need to find a good flag for the Republicans, the Russian White-Blue-Red Tricolor is already taken). If this is the case, I'll put up a poll to determine the result.
  • Czar abdicates, and Russia is proclaimed a Republic.
  • A prominent Russian general pulls a Mussolini, effectively making Russia into a Military Dictatorship and the Czar into a figurehead.
The third option. Maybe Russia goes the Mussolini route, and something horrendous happens, which means that the Czar now has to decide on removing the unpopular dictator and possibly being forced to abdicate or staying silent and being forced to abdicate after the regime falls. The Czar tries to play his gamble and chooses the first option. The military will decide who stays in power, a Constitutional Czar, an autocratic Czar, the old dictatorial regime, or a new Military regime

When in doubt, have a poll!
What happens in Russia?

Part 78: Flying Dutchmen
Part 78: Flying Dutchmen

For all of the devastation and havoc that the Global Wars wreaked upon Europe, there were always some exceptions, namely Scandinavia, Switzerland and The Netherlands. I’ll get to Scandinavia in a coming update, and the Swiss are busy yodeling and making chocolate, so that means that this update will be about The Netherlands and her colonies/former colonies.

First, The Netherlands proper. In contrast to her neighbors of France and Prussia, The Netherlands stayed neutral in the war, although their economy did suffer because of the lack of trade. Still, it’s better than losing hundreds of thousands of men. Anyways, in contrast to the civil war in the 1830s, The Netherlands was now a stable liberal democracy with one of Europe’s highest living standards. Despite that, a lot of Dutchmen still wanted to leave for greener pastures, which we will talk about next.

While South Africa had been independent for nearly a century by the 1920s, it still shared close ties with the mother country. The White/Colored population had grown to 4.15 Million by 1920, totaling about half of the population, although they made up a majority in Urban areas and in the western part of the country. The South African government continued to solidify control over the Namib and Kalahari deserts and the savanna to the north, establishing towns like Kleininham, Swakopmond, Grootfontein, Maung and Katima as bases. Mineral resources were starting to be found in the northern territories, drawing many migrants both from other parts of South Africa and from Europe. The relations with the various native groups in the north varied from treaties to outright massacres, with the latter being unfortunately common.

For the last part of this update, we now move to the colony of New Holland. The non-Indigenous population of New Holland (I’m guessing the Indigenous population would’ve been in the low tens of thousands) had grown to just shy of a million by 1930, and demands for independence from the mother country were slowly growing. Aside from the major cities and towns, there were other smaller towns like Damesdorp, Rustplaats, Zwaaninham and Tungara (yes, I like listing places) that had grown to a decent size. As in South Africa, the abundant mineral resources were a large draw for European (mainly Dutch and German) migrants, and a sizable population from the East Indies was developing as well, especially along the North Coast.

Really, I just wanted to do this update so I could have some time for the Russia Poll to go on. Right now, it looks as though the Civil War option is winning, so I’ll have to get into some brainstorming for that, but in the meantime, have a great day.