Government of Louisiana

Highlander

Banned
Picking your own PoD, lets say what consists of the Louisiana purchase remains French and eventually gains independence.

What are some possibilities on how the government would look? Could it be a possible dumping ground for French political extremists, or even a penal colony?

I would say a nice start would be allowing non-Catholics to emigrate to the French colonies which really could've boosted up their numbers or at least provide incentives to people willing to make the journey to the French colonies, particularly in Louisiana which to be honest was not really the center of activity, outside of New Orleans.

Picking your own PoD, lets say what consists of the Louisiana purchase remains French and eventually gains independence.

What are some possibilities on how the government would look? Could it be a possible dumping ground for French political extremists, or even a penal colony?

Any PoD? It coud look like anything. Narrow it down for us, would you?

I would say a nice start would be allowing non-Catholics to emigrate to the French colonies which really could've boosted up their numbers or at least provide incentives to people willing to make the journey to the French colonies, particularly in Louisiana which to be honest was not really the center of activity, outside of New Orleans.

So, an ATL equivalent to the Edict of Fontainebleau but one that allowed immigration to the colonies?

For it to stay French requires us to avert the French Revolution entirely, I think, so if you're serious about that part of it, you have to work your way back a ways and do something drastic.

Independent and sovereign, though, shouldn't be too hard. Napoleon gets too greedy or simply isn't seeing sense at the time, Talleyrand decides to leave the Americans out to dry, whatever you like. Louisiana reverts to Spain, but much like OTL Texas, they foolishly welcome American "colonists" who then break away; for whatever reason (Henry Clay)? Louisiane fails to unite with the USA.

How early is the PoD?

In an unfinished TL I did I created a French Louisiana by having Jean Ribault's expedition to found a Huguenot colony in the Americas still fail, but he lives to tell the tale. I had his son eventually organize an expedition using his extensive maps (more completed ittl) during the expulsion. Might be a bit too early for this however, and the land itself might be different (might incorporate parts of OTL Eastern Texas/Mississippi)

I always thought of it as a fun way of giving the U.S. a Protestant, southern foil to Quebec however :D.