If Britain had conquered Argentina in 1806/07, could they have kept it?

Imagine it would be Canada 2.0 though instead of Quebecois it would be Argentinos. Uruguay with its small population would likely become Anglo majority and also Patagonia would be an analogue for Western Canada.

What would be the limit of British conquest, would they take the entire Rio de la Plata colony over along with Patagonia?

Imagine it would be Canada 2.0 though instead of Quebecois it would be Argentinos. Uruguay with its small population would likely become Anglo majority and also Patagonia would be an analogue for Western Canada.

What would be the limit of British conquest, would they take the entire Rio de la Plata colony over along with Patagonia?
I assume so.

I guess they could, after all they held South Africa till the very end of the Empire. Ditto for Quebec.

Last edited:
I think it would be more like a client state than a colony. Opening Argentina's market to British trade would have probably been a more clear and obtainable goal rather than the confusing mess that was OTL's invasions.

Last edited:
I doubt it could become as Anglo as Canada. For starters, the population of French North America was close to 70,000 settlers by the mid 18th century, when the conquest took place, while by 1800 the city of Buenos Aires alone had 40,000 (twice as much as Boston at the time), and the entirety of La Plata (excluding Bolivia) was home to over 750,000 people at the time. Canada also received a major boost in emigration following the American Revolution, as up to 70,000 settlers came in from the former 13 colonies, almost doubling Canada's population. Canada also remained an attractive destiny for new immigrants over the following decades, solidifying Anglo control.
La Plata would be different, not only where the locals openly hostile to British rule, but the Brits only controlled the La Plata Estuary, the rest of the viceroyalty was still in Spanish hands, and with the Napoleonic Wars raging I don't see Britain wasting resources in securing a far-flung colony while Napoleon is a threat right across the Channel. I can't see Britain controlling La Plata for long, maybe with the exception of Uruguay if they really insist on keeping that land, but they would still fight an uphill battle if they tried to Anglicise the territory.