Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are probably quite a few mistakes left on this yet, but, after three drafts, a system crash and three computers it is in a finished enough state. I've been working on and off on this story for a while now.

This is one heck of a wonderful & original map. I only regret to say that I am disappointed with both a Canadian kingdom AND a Russian Alaska. :(

There are probably quite a few mistakes left on this yet, but, after three drafts, a system crash and three computers it is in a finished enough state. I've been working on and off on this story for a while now.
[Map Snip]
1252353016824.jpg

---

Made a few visual changes to the map I posted yesterday. (The Bohemian Partition one)

Here's the updated version.

Vexacus

Banned
Here's the second version of my map which is based on a map of Pangea I swiped from Wikipedia:
Untitled-1.png

I've altered the borders so that any present-day continents should not be recignisable. If I have left any present-day continents recignisable, please let me know

Here's the second version of my map which is based on a map of Pangea I swiped from Wikipedia:
I've altered the borders so that any present-day continents should not be recignisable. If I have left any present-day continents recignisable, please let me know

I see North America, South America, Africa and Antarctica. You didn't alter them that much, it seems.. did you post an uneditted version of the map by accident?

Highlander that map is fantastic! And boy do i love a 3 language North America :), let alone 3 (or 4 even?) major powers up there :)

What kind of population numbers are we talking about here, btw? I assume the US has the lead, followed by Louisiana, Canada and Mexico?

Actually from my estimates it is Louisiana (83,000,000), the US (49,000,000), Mexico (22,000,000) and Canada (7,000,000).

83 Million for Louisiana? Wow!
I wonder, which side will each faction pick in this TLs WW1? I would guess Louisiana would pick France's side, but how would the US side? or UK, for that matter?

That might be a bloody interesting WW1, with emphasis on Bloody! Would the US side with Prussia/Germany again (assuming the last time they picked Prussia in the Franco-Prussian war).

I must encourage you to do one for Europe also!

KCammy

Banned
83 Million for Louisiana? Wow!
I wonder, which side will each faction pick in this TLs WW1? I would guess Louisiana would pick France's side, but how would the US side? or UK, for that matter?

That might be a bloody interesting WW1, with emphasis on Bloody! Would the US side with Prussia/Germany again (assuming the last time they picked Prussia in the Franco-Prussian war).

I must encourage you to do one for Europe also!

Why does there need to be a WW1? It's evidently butterflied away...

Japan resettled a large part of its population in Korea, Occupied China, Taiwan, etc.

Korea? Korea is going to be _colder_ than southern Japan. Once they steal everything that isn't nailed down, and pry up what's nailed down, there's no point in hanging out there for a few years until the weather returns to normal. Of course they'll occupy it once they get their crap together, but it's not going to be a resettlement area (although the greatly reduced number of Koreans means that they will probably try to Japanicize it in the longer run.)

The reason they haven't taken over East Asia yet or taken on Britain over the Dutch East Indes (the Dutch are firmly in Britains sphere) is because they're still struggling to recover from the fall.

I felt that Britain would probably be a bit too busy with its own problems to intervene, and in any event how do any Dutch refugees get there when they're under German occupation and likely all their shipping is being comandeered by said Germans? In any event I'd expect more of a presence in the Philippines - if the Germans can overrun Italy, the Japanese can overrun the Philiippines.

Where do you get Stirling's number of 1/3 OTL?

From an old soc.history.what-if discussion in which S. Stirling participated: IIRC, the number bandied about was about 120 million Chinese to about a third as many Japanese. (Yes, his numbers often don't make much sense: the number of Indonesians, for instance, is ridiculously low, perhaps due to his dislike of Muslims).

Florida was mauled pretty badly but some of the western side survived while it also absorbed a huge number of northern refugees who had nowhere else to go. Things are pretty chaotic but there's military government in Tallahasse.

Hm - Florida's highest point is only 346 feet, you know? And I think the interior of the deep south would be more acceptable as a destination than a mass of salty mud, wooden splinters, and bloated corpses, but perhaps the deep south in 1878 is even more unpleasant than I thought. :D

After the Fall the USA withdrew most of its military assets from the Pacific, shifting them to the Caribbean where the US Atlantic fleet had been mostly wiped out and focusing on the more pressing task of maintaining order, moving millions of people south, and the war in Mexico. Hawaii isn't so much forgotten as it is ignored, it's been fending for itself for a decade while the American government busied itself with other things.

Annexed 1898, right. Don't post when you're sleepy...:eek:

Bruce

Why does there need to be a WW1? It's evidently butterflied away...

In some ways a world war (not the exact thing, but in general) I think is somewhat inevitable after a certain point, I mean most people don't probably think about it, but WWI and WWII both fundamentially changed the structures of militaries, societies and, perhaps most importanly, completely replaced the old geopolitical system with a completely different one.

Take note of the two Canadian "Districts" and a province of Louisiana; also, the place is a huge draw for people from the Francophone world.

Even if I throw in 2/3 of Texas and Ouregon and all of Minnesota, I only get 63 million for OTL 2010: and the French have never been in that great a rush to leave France OTL.

Awesome map, whatever the quibbles.

Bruce

Since it is now time for me to write my novella (summer project), here is a slightly reworked version of the map of my "Fascist Italy Survives" world in which my novella "Red Alps" (working title) will take place. If there are any questions, go ahead and ask!

Fascist_Italy_Survives_July11.png

Since it is now time for me to write my novella (summer project), here is a slightly reworked version of the map of my "Fascist Italy Survives" world in which my novella "Red Alps" (working title) will take place. If there are any questions, go ahead and ask!

What is the POD?

Status
Not open for further replies.