Non-Spanish Monarchy in America?

Could there be a monarchy in North America following all of these parameters?

• Yes.

Votes: 34 94.4%
  • No.

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
Is such a thing possible with a recognizable North America, so a P.O.D. after 1650-1700. Some scenarios I have in mind are if the colonys do an alt-Am. Rev., but install monarchys, bit in that case who would assume power (what houses.). Could there be a German monarchy in North America? What do all of you think?

Petike

Kicked
Needs some work, but I think it would be possible. Though I'm not sure about the size or placement of the colony.

Grey Wolf

Donor
You could easily have Miskitia emerge as a fully fledged kingdom under long-term British protection.

Bit more difficult to have the Mapuche union of Patagonia-Araucania survive considering the pressures it faced, and the relative disinterest of European powers in supporting it

But given other trends in history, you could for example have seen Comancheria establish itself long enough to have a unified leadership; maybe all it would take would be Spain not allowing non-Catholics to settle in Tejas

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I'm not even sure what the thread asks. After all, the only monarchy with its monarch in the Americas that lasted more than a handful of years is Brazil, which is NOT "Spanish".

I'm not entirely certain what you are asking here, there was and is a non-Spanish monarchy on the North American contienent. We call it Canada, if having the crown held by the British Monarch does not match your peramiters, there could easily be a POD where in order to assert independence while plactating the traditionalists the Canadian Parliament selects a different member of the House of Windsor to assume the throne.

Have a nice day.
-MRegent

I'm not even sure what the thread asks. After all, the only monarchy with its monarch in the Americas that lasted more than a handful of years is Brazil, which is NOT "Spanish".

Canada, Jamaica, Belize, several other Commonwealth Realms and the Dutch would like to be remembered.

Could there be a monarchy, non-spanish (or portuguese) (So no Brazil, Peru, or Mexico) in North America, it must be recognizable (So that means that it must not be unrecognizable to a layman of this universe.).

Grey Wolf

Donor
Could there be a monarchy, non-spanish (or portuguese) (So no Brazil, Peru, or Mexico) in North America, it must be recognizable (So that means that it must not be unrecognizable to a layman of this universe.).

Well I posited 3, albeit one is far South, but the other 2 are Central and North America, and are Native Monarchies that could have survived as independent kingdoms had things gone differently

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I think the idea of a failed Dutch rebellion leading to a massive exodus of Dutch to the new world could be neat. At some point the Dutch exodus state would transform into a hereditary monarchy, as the Dutch state faces the perils of European and Native threats a centralized monarchy would develop. Maybe the House of Orange

Another example could be successful slave revolt in the 16th century in Mexico could lead to an African king being elected to rule. I don't know what royal house maybe the House of Yanga.

Last edited:
I think the idea of a failed Dutch rebellion leading to a massive exodus of Dutch to the new world could be neat. At some point the Dutch exodus state would transform into a hereditary monarchy, as the Dutch state faces the perils of European and Native threats a centralized monarchy would develop.
I don't think massive exoduses like that are possible. Only across a gap like the English Channel or Strait of Gibraltar are they really feasible.

I don't think massive exoduses like that are possible. Only across a gap like the English Channel or Strait of Gibraltar are they really feasible.

Depends how many people are in this massive exodus? I seem to recall around 10,000 people following the Portuguese royals to Brazil when the metropolitan fell to Napoleon's forces.

Depends how many people are in this massive exodus? I seem to recall around 10,000 people following the Portuguese royals to Brazil when the metropolitan fell to Napoleon's forces.
That was 200 years later than the proposed Dutch exodus would be, though.

And though 10,000 is pretty big for the time (of course, not much for a mere 50 years later), it's not quite "massive".

French Canada. Have France maintain control of Quebec. Then when a revolution (1789 or another) occurs the deposed royal family flees there and sets up a Francophone Kingdom.

That was 200 years later than the proposed Dutch exodus would be, though.

And though 10,000 is pretty big for the time (of course, not much for a mere 50 years later), it's not quite "massive".

1,000 would be enough in the 1600s to really shake up the future demographics of New England.

1,000 would be enough in the 1600s to really shake up the future demographics of New England.
New England? I'd think they'd go to New Netherland.

If they went to New England it would have a significant effect but craploads of Puritans would still outnumber of them.

New England? I'd think they'd go to New Netherland.

If they went to New England it would have a significant effect but craploads of Puritans would still outnumber of them.

The puritans might end up joining with the Dutch considering the fact the English king is a Stuart at this time period.