Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

So basically Hanna-Barbera either hires an anime director or just outsources to an anime studio to get better animation at the same-ish budget?
That's an interesting idea; could even work.
I also considered the possibility that H-B alternates between in-house and outsourcing based on episode.

On that note, Toei might be a better outsourcing option than Studio Pierrot? Or maybe Pierrot could be cheaper 'cause it's newer in 1979?

Another thing regarding my idea for Hanna-Barbera outsourcing The Smurfs in TTL for at least part of the run.

My idea is that Studio Pierrot's work on the first two seasons is kinda the quality of OTL's Wang Films animations for season six onwards of OTL's series. An improvement over past seasons, but there's still better animation out there. This would stand in contrast to Ed Love's in-house unit which becomes popular for showing more fluid and expressive animation.

Season 3, in addition to OTL's improvements, would see the budget increase and Ed Love's unit become more involved. With Pierrot's style becoming closer to Love's animation.

j7VZCvzd.jpg

Toshiro Mifune as Obi-Wan Kenobi

If George Lucas had gotten Mifune as Obi-Wan who do you think would play him in the prequels?

Nice, but no one would have enough money for such actors. Comics were then more niche, and no one took them seriously and the picture would have been made in category B or in the form of a film series (there was a period when action-packed series were shown with episodes of 20 minutes every Saturday in cinemas). Therefore, in such cases, actors should be taken not from stars of the first magnitude, but from actors of this level.

For example these:

Nice, but no one would have enough money for such actors. Comics were then more niche, and no one took them seriously and the picture would have been made in category B or in the form of a film series (there was a period when action-packed series were shown with episodes of 20 minutes every Saturday in cinemas). Therefore, in such cases, actors should be taken not from stars of the first magnitude, but from actors of this level.

For example these:
Do you have better suggestions for each role?

Do you have better suggestions for each role?
To be honest, I’m not ready to suggest specific names yet, and even if I could, I would start with the villains. For me, the important principle here is that in the 40s, superheroes were not considered something prestigious, and even those adaptations that were seriously deviated from the original plot. So no one will call actors vying for an Oscar and with large fees. An analogue of comic book films (in terms of pictures oriented primarily towards entertainment, with an emphasis on a young audience, but at the same time having a large budget) will be musicals, historical adventures (Swashbuckler and some others), and by the end of the forties, also westerns.

I think the only plausible way a Atari-Sony partnership could get off the ground is if Sony, somehow, finds out about Jack Tramiel's xenophobia against Japan, since Sony is a Japanese company, and makes a push to kick him out of Atari, since from what I heard, Jack Tramiel was a Japanophobe, and he would rather turn down a deal from a Japanese company than work with one.

Last edited:
I think the only plausible way a Atari-Sony partnership could get off the ground is if Sony, somehow, finds out about Jack Tramiel's xenophobia against Japan, since Sony is a Japanese company, and makes a push to kick him out of Atari, since from what I heard, Jack Tramiel was a Japanophobe, and he would rather turn down a deal from a Japanese company than work with one.
BET!

We could make a TL about this for 2024!

He is Atari, literally he bought it from scrap and he own the brand and that's the thing,the japanese didn't care about it all either

I wonder if this game actually being finished and released would've maximised ratings for the TV show that it was going to be based on, if it was a success, that is. Maybe a third season gets off the ground? Maybe elements of the TV show such as the characters and setting could've made their way into the games and other media outside of the Archie comics? Maybe Sega Technical Institute shows some confidence that the game could potentially boost ratings for the show? Maybe Yuji Naka suggests making it a more traditionally fast-paced game?

Having trouble finding a Pop Culture TL. It involved Rod Serling seeing Doctor Who and getting inspired to import the series to the US. Very fun read, wish I could find it again.

Never mind, I found it. It's called the Yankee Doctor.

Last edited:
Passe-Partout in Québec continues past 1992 so that instead of new onstance instace of characters, you might have different chracters being replaced independently on of another as they individualy have issues.

Stretch

Donor
This idea comes from an interesting historical tid-bit I learnt over the weekend: During the 1960's, Stanley Kubrick was so worried about nuclear war that he planned on emigrating to the most remote city he could find - Perth, Western Australia. He'd looked at land to buy, possible filming locations, even started transferring money into Australian bank accounts. However, due to the fact he was terrified of flying and the only boats to Australia had shared bathrooms (a pet peeve of his), he abandoned his plans on moving.

So, the scenario is this: He finds a boat that lets him have a private bathroom for the trip and ends up moving to Perth. What films would he make? Could we end up with a world where he joins Peter Weir in making Picnic at Hanging Rock (regarded as one of the best ever Australian horror movies, check it out, the vibes are amazing)? Could a mini-Hollywood spring up in Perth/Australia if his films start attracting attention there?