Realistic Maps

Highlander

Banned
Question on those familiar with my maps.

Content aside, how realistic would you rate my style? Most of the time I shoot for something that, if the person was unaware of history, may think is real.

For those unfamiliar (I haven't posted one in a while), my DeviantArt account is in my sig.

Content aside, how realistic would you rate my style? Most of the time I shoot for something that, if the person was unaware of history, may think is real.

For those unfamiliar (I haven't posted one in a while), my DeviantArt account is in my sig.
The maps look like they are real, your style is impressive.

A very nice style. And appears historical.

Sometimes however the overlay (the stain, if I can call it that) can obscure the text a little.

Tied for first except for the occasional rare one that shines through, IMO.

Thande

Donor
It's realistic for the late 19th century and early 20th century, which is when most of your maps are set so that's all right (I do, however, get cross when people use that kind of style for modern maps).

Highlander

Banned
The maps look like they are real, your style is impressive.

Tied for first except for the occasional rare one that shines through, IMO.

Brilliant.

Like I've picked up a history book from another timeline.

Thanks! It is nice comments like these that keep me on track doing what I do.

How do you make these?

Photoshop, lately Illustrator.

A very nice style. And appears historical.

Sometimes however the overlay (the stain, if I can call it that) can obscure the text a little.

Thanks!

Sometimes it is for effect, but other times I do it if I am not quite sure on something, and want to hide a mistake. :p

Yeah, I want one of your paper textures please.

Your paper textures are very good, may we borrow them.

I lost the majority of my old paper library with the crash and burn of my old computer - what I have left can easily be found on DeviantArt and through Google searches.

It's realistic for the late 19th century and early 20th century, which is when most of your maps are set so that's all right (I do, however, get cross when people use that kind of style for modern maps).

I have ideas for some set during the fifties, based on an old atlas I picked up at a book sale, but I can't seem to find it!

I agree, though; while I feel this time period is the most aesthetically pleasing when it comes to maps, I kind of want to start branching out. Like make some pieces like this. (The Ministry of Type is a really cool blog, if you haven't seen it already)