Rubber as part of the Columbian exchange/early rubber boom

Since there's been a few threads lately on this subject, I figured I'd start my own on some insights I found.

Anyway, Rubber usage goes back millennia in Mesoamerica, where the Panama rubber tree Castilla elastica was tapped for its natural latex and processed into various goods such as balls, textiles, linings, and drinkware. They mixed the latex with varying degrees of juice from a vine of the genus Ipomaea (depending on the intended use) which contained sulfur compounds that vulcanised the rubber. But they were not the only rubber users in the Americas, since Hohokam use of rubber has been discovered as well for they played a similar ballgame as Mesoamericans. This Hohokam rubber seems to be from the guayule (Parthenium argentatum) plant, a desert shrub native to the hills of northern Mexico and a narrow band from southwest Texas to southern California and infrequently also used in Mesoamerica and by ethnicities like the Yaqui. Reason being for the infrequent use is the traditional process for tapping it was an entire community chewing the root until the latex leaked out.

Anyway, what if this use of rubber made it Europe in the Columbian exchange? Rubber use and production was documented by European writers, but it never seemed to have amounted to much. What if a Spanish writer catalogues the process and decides that water-repellant clothes would be nice to have aboard ships or simply to walk around on rainy days (i.e. the "Mackintosh" raincoat)? Anyone whose worn a garment with rubber outside on a day with pouring rain knows the comfort of it.

I find guayule a particularly interesting prospect, since it could theoretically be grown in the driest part of Spain as well as in the Canaries (where similar plants from that region like agaves and opuntia grow). It might be introduced by the Dutch to South Africa (and maybe spur the colonisation of Western Australia so they could grow some there, maybe for trade with the vast Chinese market) and by the Portuguese to the dry Brazilian Cerrado or the deserts of southern Angola. This could also open up other interesting prospects like an early Brazilian rubber boom where the OTL most used rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis) grows, or in Africa for that matter since their local sources of vine rubber would give African states in the Congo basin (like the Kingdom of Kongo and its offshoots and neighbours) another good to trade with Europe, albeit one in which would still involve a lot of slavery and brutality. Does the Castilla elastica/Ipomaea sort of rubber get spread to the Philippines by the Spanish?

So could rubber have truly been one of the most influential products of the Columbian exchange? What about the technological aspects of it? Would rubber being a vast global industry butterfly the OTL rubber boom and its tragic consequences in the Amazon and Africa?

Did any Spanish conquistador remark on the water-resistant quality of the clothing during the conquest of Mesoamerica? Pedro de Alvarado, given the rather large number of Aztec auxiliaries under his command during the subjugation of Guatemala, would seem to be the natural candidate for that. I'm aware that Cortes sent some ballplayers home to perform for the King--that would be another candidate for sparking early European interest in the material.

Interestingly, Peter Martyr d'Anghiera notes that rubber was produced using juice from a specific vine, and his works were available in Latin, French, German, and English by the mid-16th century. Along with other descriptions of rubber, I wonder if this could have spurred additional interest in just what the plant was and how to obtain it. Spain need not be the one to initially take interest if foreign countries also want rubber-soled shoes or strange bouncing balls, even if they'd hold the initial monopoly until a new source like Brazilian rubber was discovered (which itself might be contested by the French or Dutch given their interest in northern Brazil).
Did any Spanish conquistador remark on the water-resistant quality of the clothing during the conquest of Mesoamerica? Pedro de Alvarado, given the rather large number of Aztec auxiliaries under his command during the subjugation of Guatemala, would seem to be the natural candidate for that.
Several 16th century writers on Mesoamerica like Bernardino de Sahagun and Diego Munoz Camargo mentioned the extensive use of rubber footwear by Mesoamericans.
I'm aware that Cortes sent some ballplayers home to perform for the King--that would be another candidate for sparking early European interest in the material.
That also seems like a POD right there.