The Cathedral of Learning: University in the United States
"...central to the Morrill Act was the idea that the federal government would financially support, at least to some degree, the interests of the individual states in creating public universities and supporting their mission; the much-delayed Blair Act, passed at the end of its namesake's career, extended that philosophy in part towards primary and in particular secondary education to support the vast expansion of the public school system. [1] But there had never been any explicit federal education program in and of itself other than West Point and the Naval Academy; with the University of the United States Act of 1916, this changed.

The Federal University of the United States - often known as the Federal University System - today is a small part of the broader American higher education system. Across six campuses in six different states, close to a hundred thousand students attend curated and particular degree programs, free of tuition or room and board, that are regarded as of "particular interest to the further development of the United States." The FUS is in some ways regarded as a step below the major public research universities and treated dismissively by some private institutions for its academic standards (despite the competitive application system that requires a Congressional recommendation) [2], but nonetheless serves an important cog in a bigger machine that has made the American university system the envy of the world.

At the time of its founding, however, it was a last-ditch compromise bill signed by outgoing President Hughes in the last stages of the Great American War to secure a long-held Liberal priority while acceding to a number of Democratic demands, such as tuition being entirely subsidized by the government for students and for parochial secondary school graduates being eligible to apply. Initially meant to be built on the grounds of the Smithsonian to help rebuild Washington, D.C. and to integrate with that institution (Hughes had hoped that the University of the United States would be called "Smithsonian University"), it would eventually be located at various sites in Philadelphia before the flagship campus was placed at its current siting near Penn and Drexel in University City in 1966 to create one of the largest concentrations of students in one place in the country. The ambitions for what would eventually become "Federal University at Philadelphia" were also remarkably small - it had indeed been intended to supplement the Smithsonian's work initially, and only allotted funding and slots for a hundred students as part of a broader act meant to inject more funding into universities struggling with low enrollment during the late stages of the war and prevent them from closing. Few, if any, of the bills signers could have imagined the FU System would be what it is today..."

- The Cathedral of Learning: University in the United States

[1] Suffice to say ITTL you will not have one of the two major parties attacking the idea of public education the way we see IOTL United States, not to get too into current politics, though education could and likely will have other fault lines associated with it politically
[2] I'm getting a bit niche with this post but I wanted to explore what kinds of clusterfucks you might still see with this alt-USA

The FUS is in some ways regarded as a step below the major public research universities and treated dismissively by some private institutions for its academic standards (despite the competitive application system that requires a Congressional recommendation) [2], but nonetheless serves an important cog in a bigger machine that has made the American university system the envy of the world.
Ok, so right away two scenarios pop into mind.

1 - "Hey, I'm (most likely Democratic) Congressman X and I want your vote/campaign support...how about a recommendation for your son?"
2 - "Hey, (again, most likely Democratic) Congressman X, my son really wants to go to the FUS...how about a nice bag of unmarked cash - errrrr, I mean "campaign contribution" of course - for a recommendation?"

For Cincoverse USA, a fair bit of its development seems to be replacing the issues OTL USA has (expensive higher education, poor public transport outside of major cities, the Electoral College), maybe we will see universal healthcare. Though I wonder what the TTL USA will end up getting in exchange as issues?

For Cincoverse USA, a fair bit of its development seems to be replacing the issues OTL USA has (expensive higher education, poor public transport outside of major cities, the Electoral College), maybe we will see universal healthcare. Though I wonder what the TTL USA will end up getting in exchange as issues?
This is more or less the idea, with the overall theme again being “the problem is and always has been the South’s revenge tour against America post-1865” and the old joke about “the USA without the South is just a bigger richer Canada.”

However, as any Canadian can tell you, that’s not a wholly Utopian outcome, and to answer your question…

1 - "Hey, I'm (most likely Democratic) Congressman X and I want your vote/campaign support...how about a recommendation for your son?"
2 - "Hey, (again, most likely Democratic) Congressman X, my son really wants to go to the FUS...how about a nice bag of unmarked cash - errrrr, I mean "campaign contribution" of course - for a recommendation?"
^^

This kind of shenanigans being more or less mainstream in not one but both major parties (even if one of them wants desperately to pretend it isn’t) is going to eventually become a very big problem for the US political system

This kind of shenanigans being more or less mainstream in not one but both major parties (even if one of them wants desperately to pretend it isn’t) is going to eventually become a very big problem for the US political system
Urban machine politics, especially of the Democratic/ethnic variety (looking at you, Boston, Chicago, and New York) is going to be wildly corrupt and/or mobbed up for decades, even compared to OTL's low standards. Patronage, kickbacks, vote buying, union fraud, the whole nine yards. Basically, take the Sopranos Esplanade story arc and up it by two orders of magnitude and that's going to be a typical Tuesday in Cook County.

Urban machine politics, especially of the Democratic/ethnic variety (looking at you, Boston, Chicago, and New York) is going to be wildly corrupt and/or mobbed up for decades, even compared to OTL's low standards. Patronage, kickbacks, vote buying, union fraud, the whole nine yards. Basically, take the Sopranos Esplanade story arc and up it by two orders of magnitude and that's going to be a typical Tuesday in Cook County.
That's why you should vote for the Liberals, the Dems are corrupt as fuck.

Sounds like the fairest election(local level)ever in India...

Ah yes, the same Liberals who appointed a Naval Secretary who used his connections to grease the pockets of contractors back in Seattle.

Also...

Liberals are just as corrupt. Only difference is Democrats aren't raging hypocrites about it.

Cinco de Mayo: The “Exceed OTL’s imprisoned Illinois politicians figure” Challenge! 😜
Insert *Tom Hardy “That’s Bait”* gif here
Ah yes, the same Liberals who appointed a Naval Secretary who used his connections to grease the pockets of contractors back in Seattle.

Also...

Liberals are just as corrupt. Only difference is Democrats aren't raging hypocrites about it.
Them palms ain’t gonna grease themselves, sonny

Cinco de Mayo: The “Exceed OTL’s imprisoned Illinois politicians figure” Challenge! 😜

Insert *Tom Hardy “That’s Bait”* gif here

Them palms ain’t gonna grease themselves, sonny
I do enjoy indulging Curtain Jerker's hatred of the not-Republicans TTL.

1695317037681.jpeg

All praise to our Lord Charles Evans Hughes and his magnificent beardstache!

The latter is made easier to slip under the radar by the fact that rather than a single recommendation (per OTL service academies), a Representative would have something like 60 per year if the people/representatives ratio ends up where it did IOTL.

We grew out of it for the most part IOTL, we'll fight our way out ITTL too.

The latter is made easier to slip under the radar by the fact that rather than a single recommendation (per OTL service academies), a Representative would have something like 60 per year if the people/representatives ratio ends up where it did IOTL.

We grew out of it for the most part IOTL, we'll fight our way out ITTL too.
Ratio won’t quite be the same, since I won’t be capping the size of the House, but your point stands.

And yes; the US will eventually solve its problems with institutional corruption, though it’ll take something more Mani Pulite style to finally do it

Ratio won’t quite be the same, since I won’t be capping the size of the House, but your point stands.

And yes; the US will eventually solve its problems with institutional corruption, though it’ll take something more Mani Pulite style to finally do it
The US did a lot of that at a smaller scale, state by state or city by city, between 1940 and 1990, IOTL.

Given a weaker federalism here, makes sense that more of it will come at once instead of being instigated by individual crusading governors, state attorneys general, or urban DAs.

The US did a lot of that at a smaller scale, state by state or city by city, between 1940 and 1990, IOTL.

Given a weaker federalism here, makes sense that more of it will come at once instead of being instigated by individual crusading governors, state attorneys general, or urban DAs.
Exactly the thinking

1) The Great Powers negotiated the Leonine Compromise to preserve part of Rome (Vatican + Leonine) for the Church and Italy swallowed it, but the Church hasn’t “officially” accepted it even though it’s back from Malta. The Pope claims he’s a prisoner even if there aren’t Italian soldiers camped out at St. Peter’s for fifty years

2) Italy is fairly hostile to Church interests, though to what extent I don’t know. Most Liberal parties in Latin America still fairly explicitly repress the Church, so I’d say Chile is probably going to go a step beyond that even if they never go full Soviet state atheism
The other question then (which I'm fine with not being answered for another 3 years of chapters. :) ) is whether the difference between France & AH's relationship with the Catholic Church and Germany & Italy's relationship with the Catholic Church is *so* severe that the Pope would actually take sides with F&AH (to his eventual chagrin).

The OTL Cisteros war in Mexico might be a guide to what will happen in Chile. I'm also trying to remember whether at this point, the American Catholics are aligning with either the Liberals or the Democrats or whether, for example, an Italian Catholic and a Polish Catholic would naturally align with *different* parties.

And I'm not sure what the Confederacy's relationship with the Catholic Church is, but I'm quite sure it won't matter much by 1920. :)