dcharles

Banned
"...since the bulk of Kentucky fell under the United States' control in mid-1914, there was perhaps no figure whom the U.S. Army had been as interested in capturing or, preferably, killing as Nathan Bedford Forrest II, who quickly surpassed his ancestor in infamy through his command of the Irregulars Division, which by the end of the war was not so much a division as a loose network of fireteams spread across the Midlands and central Alabama who conducted acts of sabotage, ambush, and assassination against not only Yankees but freedmen and even suspected collaborators. Their abilities to dynamite bridges and railroad tracks had dwindled as the war continued but their numbers grew, as did their access to considerably cheaper rifles, pistols and bullets. As the Confederate Army declined as a cohesive force, the intentionally decentralized Irregulars swelled to replace them as the closest thing to state authority that existed in certain parts of Dixie, interwoven with the increasingly brutal Home Guard that suspected everyone as a deserter and carried out a horrifying campaign of not only intimidation but rape, torture and murder against the civilian population.

As such, the postwar Irregulars and Home Guard formed the nucleus of a massive paramilitary active in almost all states but with no central authority to control them and, unlike the regular infantrymen who were so shell-shocked from the horrors of frontline combat that they had simply lost the will to fight, were convinced that the "Holy Confederacy" had failed to repel the Yankee because, in the words of one anonymous commander, "we had insufficiently matched their savagery." It was simply taken for granted amongst the ex-Irregulars that the Yankees mutilated white women and encouraged freedmen to do the same, and that massacres - that nobody actually ever saw evidence of - were happening across the Confederacy simply because that was what they believed was necessary to justify their worldview.

The Treaty of Mount Vernon thus offended the opinions of the Irregulars more than anybody else in the Confederacy, and it was such ex-Irregulars and Home Guardsmen who were often most involved in the Bloody Wednesday Riots and similar actions. News of the treaty's passage "under duress" and the emerging debate over how to proceed with the "Gunbarrel Amendments" broke the dam, and Forrest - who had been careful to control his movements for years, aware that Yankee assassins were looking for him eagerly - emerged in public near Anniston, Alabama on April 10, 1917 [1] to denounce the Treaty's passage but also go one step further.

The Anniston Declaration, also known as the Appeal of April 10th, marked an important chapter in the postwar Confederacy as it was an all-out call to arms by Forrest. The Declaration included a document which Forrest signed in the presence of several of his commanders and asked be photographed and then published which called upon "all Confederates of ability - man, woman and child alike - to with their whole spirit and body embark in a total and unyielding resistance to Yankee barbarism and the threat of the abolition." In the speech he gave, Forrest was considerably less legalistic. Waving the signed Declaration over his head, Forrest announced, "I call forth today The Great Resistance, the most potent rising in human history of free men, to drive from our lands the Yankee through immeasurable bloodshed, and to never yield to the nigger!" With those words, the Red Summer of 1917 had effectively begun.

Forrest was fortunate in that he had commanded the Irregulars for three years and was regarded as nearly a god amongst men by his subordinates, and this translated to his ability to rapidly reorganize his vast force into what he titled "the National Resistance Organization," as the Confederate Army, in his view, no longer represented the people through its deposition of Vardaman and acquiescence to Mount Vernon. The Anniston Declaration formed the NRO's founding document, and proclaimed that it would "resist the Yankee occupation in all areas by force, politics and commerce," opening the door to it serving as an alternative government in certain parts of the Confederacy as opposed to the now vehemently-unpopular Congress run by what was left of the Bourbon and Tillmanite movements.

While the National Resistance served as the formal underpinning of the mass rejection by White Dixie of what Mount Vernon represented, in reality it was much more of an incoherent force than its detractors and proponents alike made it out to be. Forrest was wily and good at avoiding being caught but he had exaggerated his own capabilities as a guerilla commander frequently and his notoriety was as much myth as it was based on actual results. Rather, what was so important about not just his new organization but also the Appeal of April 10th was that it inspired the dozens of small, localist paramilitaries across the Confederacy that his men were famously bad at incorporating under their wings, paramilitaries that quickly took on the colloquial and romantic name "hillboys" who formed the much more lethal and successful auxiliary component of the Great Resistance and before long chafed just as much at Forrest's personalist project as they did the Patton-Martin government in Charlotte that they dismissed as Yankee stooges, thus maintaining operational independence.

There was not one 'Great Resistance' of White Dixie rejecting peace and abolition - there were several of them, all in different states, with different leaders, agendas and campaigns, and that would only exacerbate the bloodshed to come as the Red Summer began..."

- A Freedom Bought With Blood: Emancipation and the Postwar Confederacy

[1] This date chosen as an homage to "The Death of Russia"

Excellent work! One of my favorite chapters so far, which is really saying a lot.

the question of how to bilaterally deal with the United States and the Confederate States, however, were not about to go away anytime soon..."
Since the law of free birth and a ban on reslavement (vague it may be) passed, the slow withdrawal suggests that Lodge and Root may be content with it and edging towards recognition. The Confederates however, I think will be too occupied to deal about texan question in the immediate future.

The Anniston Declaration, also known as the Appeal of April 10th, marked an important chapter in the postwar Confederacy as it was an all-out call to arms by Forrest. The Declaration included a document which Forrest signed in the presence of several of his commanders and asked be photographed and then published which called upon "all Confederates of ability - man, woman and child alike - to with their whole spirit and body embark in a total and unyielding resistance to Yankee barbarism and the threat of the abolition." In the speech he gave, Forrest was considerably less legalistic. Waving the signed Declaration over his head, Forrest announced, "I call forth today The Great Resistance, the most potent rising in human history of free men, to drive from our lands the Yankee through immeasurable bloodshed, and to never yield to the nigger!" With those words, the Red Summer of 1917 had effectively begun.
Well, Nathan Bedford Forrest II certainly is going to start a shitstorm of epic proportions...

1702768556510.png

One thing I have given some thought to is how Action Francaise developed ideologically in the Cincoverse relative to OTL. I'd imagine that their ideological program is broadly identical/similar, though I'm guessing they are more generically monarchist, and not Orleanist. From what has been revealed, they are also anti-parliamentary as per OTL, though I wonder if the corporatist underpinnings of Integralism (the whole organic organisation of the nation socio-economically) have changed at all. Also in OTL national syndicalism which morphed into fascism in Italy arose from French syndicalists around Georges Sorel interacting with integral nationalists of AF around their broad opposition to democracy. I wonder if any form of national syndicalism has developed in the same or similar manner TTL?

How many people are going to die over the next several years in the CSA in this orgy of free-for-all, paramilitary violence?
Way too many
Excellent work! One of my favorite chapters so far, which is really saying a lot.
You’re too kind!
I hope the next update would be about how the US Army manages the occupation.
We’ll be getting there soon
Is the Elihu Root term going to be like Warren G Harding's term/Cabinet, 4 years earlier and by like, 100 in terms of corruption?

@KingSweden24
Root’s Cabonet won’t be as corrupt as Harding’s, but it’ll be quite a bit more inept, with the exception of Stimson
One thing I have given some thought to is how Action Francaise developed ideologically in the Cincoverse relative to OTL. I'd imagine that their ideological program is broadly identical/similar, though I'm guessing they are more generically monarchist, and not Orleanist. From what has been revealed, they are also anti-parliamentary as per OTL, though I wonder if the corporatist underpinnings of Integralism (the whole organic organisation of the nation socio-economically) have changed at all. Also in OTL national syndicalism which morphed into fascism in Italy arose from French syndicalists around Georges Sorel interacting with integral nationalists of AF around their broad opposition to democracy. I wonder if any form of national syndicalism has developed in the same or similar manner TTL?
Agreed with your take on the Orleanist equation.

Syndicalism probably hasn’t taken root enough yet for a nationalist version of it to emerge, at least not now

Ah yes, Pershings VP or successor, I guess...

Actually, he'd be 73 in 1940. Nope.....or maybe he is Pershing's predecessor...

*SPECULATION INTENSIFIES*
Since all presidents between Root and Pershing are Democrats, it's only possible if Stimson switches parties. Which, I mean, I guess IOTL he did serve in the FDR and Truman administrations, for whatever that's worth.

In the likelier case he stays a Liberal, I honestly could see him as president in the late 30's? After all, there's no guarantee Pershing runs again in 1936 (when he would be 75)...

Last edited:
hm... remind me, what are the olympic venues past 1964 again? I am asking because the 2024 olympics are comin up very soon...

Alf Landon ?
Sure, why not. He is an entertaining president to throw in there since he was so handily defeated by FDR IRL.
Don't think I've seen a timeline where he gets used properly.
Since all presidents between Root and Pershing are Democrats, it's only possible if Stimson switches parties. Which, I mean, I guess IOTL he did serve in the FDR and Truman administrations, for whatever that's worth.

In the likelier case he stays a Liberal, I honestly could see him as president in the late 30's? After all, there's no guarantee Pershing runs again in 1936 (when he would be 75)...
Good points
hm... remind me, what are the olympic venues past 1964 again? I am asking because the 2024 olympics are comin up very soon...
I haven't posted any of them but the Olympics iTTL are on the n+2 schedule (as in, same years as FIFA World Cups OTL)

Burning Punjab
"...Canadians had established themselves as the brave but brutal tip of the Empire's sphere; the 1st Canadian Regiment had distinguished itself with dozens of Victoria Crosses at Amritsar and Faisalabad and had in some ways broken the rebellion through their decisive tactics there. It was thus no surprise that the elite "Highlander Guard" of Canadian mountaineers were dispatched into Peshawar for mop-up operations and that it was them who, alongside the talented Peshawar Lancers, found V.G. Pringle and Kartar Singh Sarabha at a rebel camp about ten kilometers south of Kohat. In the space of forty minutes, the firefight between the Highlander Guard and the clique of Ghadarites saw six Canadians killed and a hundred rebels slain, including both Sarabha and Pringle; it was the most successful decapitation exercise of the war, leaving two of the most talented field commanders of the Mutiny dead and securing most of southern Peshawar for London.

The Battle of Kohat on April 2, 1917 is often marked as an unofficial conclusion to the Mutiny. Hundreds of thousands lay dead, the majority Punjabi, and tens of thousands of Ghadarites had fled India into Afghanistan, Tibet and Persia, often to form terror cells from which to strike the Raj but many others to go into exile, particularly in China (such as Bai Bhagwan Singh) or Japan (Jatin Mukherjee). Twenty-five thousand soldiers from around the Empire, in particular Australians, had also died alongside members of the Indian Army and left villages burnt, cities gutted and the economy of Punjab in tatters, but had prevented India as a whole from detonating into mass rebellion.

There were a variety of reasons in hindsight why Ghadar had failed, beyond the miscommunication on February 25, 1915 that had led to fatal delays in Bengal. Ghadar had small numbers and only a fraction of those involved in the party were willing to take up arms; many of their soldiers had had no part in its planning, and simply came late to the cause once the British had gotten off their back heels. The bigger issue in later analysis, in particular from Subhas Chandra Bose, was that Ghadar was too intellectual of a project, too specific to Punjab despite its efforts to attract Bengalis such as Mukherjee, and too dependent on financing and inspiration from overseas, with so much of its leadership in Canton, Tokyo or even the North American West Coast.

Nonetheless, India had changed forever. Ghadar had marked the most substantial threat to British rule in six decades and unlike the 1857 Mutiny never really ended. Revolutionary armies may have been defeated straight up in Punjab and Peshawar, but smaller cells had embedded themselves across Bengal, the Northwest and Burma with close proximity to Chinese paramilitaries associated with the Guomindang and other radical organizations that had Canton as their Piedmont. Kohat was an important propaganda coup for Kitchener but it could not undo the considerable tensions across the Raj and the sharp decline in trust that most Indians now had for British administration, which had never been held in as high of regard as before the disaster of the 1898-99 plague. London did not entirely believe that Kohat had ended the rebellion and demanded Kitchener maintain the state of emergency in India in perpetuity, and it would not be until the summer of 1918, over a year after Kohat, that certain restrictions such as curfews and the ban on passenger rail travel were lifted. The state of emergency absolutely crushed the Indian economy, too; the number of Indians in poverty nearly doubled between 1915-19 after years of gradually improving economic conditions in the Raj, which was already treated as a closed market for British goods as it was.

Accordingly, the Mutiny may have been over - but the scars would last for years to come, and the seeds had been sown for India's eventual casting off of the British..."

- Burning Punjab

"...Canadians had established themselves as the brave but brutal tip of the Empire's sphere; the 1st Canadian Regiment had distinguished itself with dozens of Victoria Crosses at Amritsar and Faisalabad and had in some ways broken the rebellion through their decisive tactics there. It was thus no surprise that the elite "Highlander Guard" of Canadian mountaineers were dispatched into Peshawar for mop-up operations and that it was them who, alongside the talented Peshawar Lancers, found V.G. Pringle and Kartar Singh Sarabha at a rebel camp about ten kilometers south of Kohat. In the space of forty minutes, the firefight between the Highlander Guard and the clique of Ghadarites saw six Canadians killed and a hundred rebels slain, including both Sarabha and Pringle; it was the most successful decapitation exercise of the war, leaving two of the most talented field commanders of the Mutiny dead and securing most of southern Peshawar for London.
Feels like Canada's entire gimmick in this timeline is "no, we're the real heirs to Britain's Anglo-Saxon heritage, our cousins from Great Britain are softies who've gone astray and forgotten where they came from."