The Miracle of the House of Hasbsburg

Thanks to ImperialVienna who provided many interesting and helpful suggestions, as well as the name of the TL

August 18, 1830 ,Schonbrunn Palace, Austria
"So we had twins!"said Franz Karl as he looked down at his wife. "Let's name them Franz Joseph and Ferdinand Maximilian. "Yes, those are good names." he said " Are they all boys?" "Yes." she replied.

1830 to 1848
Franz Karl and his wife had two more children in the 1830s, Charles Ludwig and Maria Anna Karolina. Austria was at peace during those years, with few problems and wars. Prussia was also thriving as was Britain. In North America, The United States allied itself with France and assisted France's purchase of Alaska from Russsia to use as a penal colony. All in all, Eurpe was expanding and thriving peacefully. The 1840's began with a bang. In 1843, Hungary and Italy revolted. Although it was repressed, it used a lot of manpower. Then came the death of Franz Karl at the hands of a Insane man. Shortly after that Ferdinand died of a Heart attack, leaving Austria in the hands of Franz Joseph. His first act as Archduke was to grant Hungary and Northern Italy independence under the rule of his two brothers, Ferdinand Maximillian and Charles Ludwig. The reasoning was simple. Franz Joseph wanted to avoid rebellions like the one in 1843.
Then came the revolutions of 1848 and the creation of the Frankfurt Parliament. The Parliament began the creation of a German federation and formally offered the crown to Franz Joseph, who accepted.

Last edited:
Ok, a Austria without Hungary and the Italian parts would be more involved in German affairs. However you have to do better than this;
1. Why would Austria split up their empire, they were quite keen on keeping it together despite all struggles.
2. Austria was more interested in keeping Germany a federation of virtually independent realms than really uniting it.
3. Prussia will still be a better candidate for the German throne.

1.The reason why Austria granted Hungary and Northern Italy independence was that they did'nt want any more rebellions. However, Franz Joseph put his brothers on the throne of those so he could make those countries Hasbsburg. Essentially, he made puppets out of them.
2. Tell me which parts are implausible and I will revise.

1.The reason why Austria granted Hungary and Northern Italy independence was that they did'nt want any more rebellions. However, Franz Joseph put his brothers on the throne of those so he could make those countries Hasbsburg. Essentially, he made puppets out of them.
2. Tell me which parts are implausible and I will revise.

At this point in time the Habsburg realm is a state in its own right. The two previous experiments (the 1330 and the 1564 ones) weren't possible anymore (and may I point to the fact that those previous "grants" were specifically aimed towards the old Habsburgic lands in Austria: Tirol, Carintia, Craina, Voralberg, Superior Austria).