What Mistress Boleyn Wants (Mistress Boleyn Gets)

1548 - August
  • August 1548

King Henry VIII had the Archbishops of York and Canterbury, and other Bishops from all over England assembled. It was his day to speak, a Thursday, it was not mass and the men were not happy to have their King preaching to them; most of them, anyway. Almost a third of the Bishops and the new Archbishop of York, Thomas Goodrich, agreed with or approved of the printing of the scriptures in English. But Henry’s ‘suggestion’ that he should be the Head of the Church in England, that God placed him as King to lead them in all things was something most disagreed with, but some began to ponder the idea in their hearts, much as the Blessed Virgin did. He proudly sent Sister Duchess a copy of his speech and his interpretations of the reactions he’d received. He also sent her a letter he needed help refuting: Sir Thomas More, who had retired from public life after resigning the Chancellorship (a position he’d taken only because the King had actually begged him to do so), had written a letter of disapproval of the position the king was taking on the subject of the headship of the church within England. At 70, More was still the master of a phrase when he set his mind to it. And he was often more than a match for Henry.

1555 - August
  • This post (1555) has been deleted by moi so as not to confuse anyone reading the thread (it already did me). It's been copied to the file for use later on. And I still don't like it. Brandon is a favorite of mine.

Back to 1549.

Last edited:
    1549 - September
  • September 1549

The Regency Council found itself with a contentious member when the meeting of the 6th began. Dowager Queen Marie attended. It would not have been such a problem had not the Council been reading a report from the Governor of Calais that French troops had arrived nearby, on the French side of the border, complete with arms. Marie insisted that the French would not be so dishonorable as to begin a war without informing England. However, there were confirming reports of the events that the council could not ignore. King Henry IX concurred with the majority of the council against Marie's single voice against 'hostilities' without cause. The Duke of Norfolk was tasked with taking the troops across the channel, to Marie's fury.

The other item that irritated the council was the Dowager Queen's continued insistence that spouses be found - not just for the young King, but for her own children. Once again, she was informed that while names for spouses would be taken, no active consideration would be made until after the King's coronation on his 14th birthday.

Norfolk began the task of bringing together and readying the men would be travelling with him to Calais come the beginning of October.

Last edited:
    1549 - October
  • October 1549

The Duke of Norfolk was surprised to find a messenger awaiting him in Calais. The messenger, in )II's livery, waited as the the Duke took the letter and retired to read it with his son and others. Even more surprising to both Norfolk and Surrey was the wording of it. Two sentences in particularly recalled the meeting that decided Norfolk was to go to Calais. The sentences were striking echoes of Dowager Queen Marie's comments about sending troops. Norfolk copied the letter and the Earl of Surrey returned on the tide to England. It was a troubling matter to the old soldier. He had little regard for women dabbling in politics with a single exception. Sister Duchess thought like a man when she sat at Council and left her womanish ways in her rooms - this thought, however, he kept to himself. He wouldn't have his niece knowing it.

Surrey presented the letter to the first to Regency Council members he found: Charles Brandon and Cromwell, Earl of Essex. Brandon sent a messenger for Sister Duchess and she arrived around midnght for the consultation.

"My father believes it comes from the English Dowager Queen, perhaps though one of her ladies. I know one of them is seeing a secretary to the French Ambassador." Surrey explained.

Anne frowned. "All of her majesty's correspondence is read because of her comments while the King's father was alive. But I don't believe the ladies are searched if they're going somewhere within the area the Dowager is in. She could be smuggling letters to the French Ambassador. She's from Calais: her mother had a Frenchwoman for a grandmother and the rest of the family is English. If she's in love with a Frenchman, she may do as the Dowager asks." She mused.

Charles Brandon shrugged. "It could also be letters intercepted in Calais. Letters about the matter were sent before his Grace left England. Or it could be a guess by Henri; it's a tactical maneuver and we've all learned mostly the same things. Reinforcement of troops is a common enough military move, even when the other is just running maneuvers. He could make a logical guess and be right, just sending the letter to upset everyone - as it has."

"I missed part of the meeting; and my lord father says the phrasing is what the Dowager Queen used during her comments when I was not present." Surrey told them.

The Earl of Essex, who rarely spoke except to advise (not debate), said: "We must set a trap. Marie must know something only we say within chambers. If it gets through, we'll know." Thomas Cromwell was still a man to watch.

"I'll take a letter to my father - " began Howard, but was interrupted by Essex.

"We will send only a verbal message and that will be received by you and given to your father privately, without letters." He raised his boxy body to a standing position, grimacing with pain. "But the verbal message will be known only by us and will be the true results: The Dowager Queen will be misled by what we discuss in the meeting. If all of us could meet at my home after the noon meal, we can have the Regency Council meeting there. She will not come, she does her correspondence then, so that Angeline can take it to her lover. Then we will at least eliminate one weak spot." He stretched painfully. "Since this is an informal meeting, I must go if I am to to see all others save the Dowager tomorrow, I beg pardon for any offense this may cause."

"No offense taken, I'm the youngest and I needs find my bed before I fall as well," the Earl of Surrey said. All left to their own homes.

Last edited:
    1549 - November
  • 1 - 12 November 1549

The month began with two more letters, a week apart to the Duke of Norfolk. The information it revealed was general in nature and anyone could have sent it: it was common knowledge that Surrey was returning with more troops and supplies. The second letter revealed information deliberately given to Dowager Queen Marie via her ladies (who were informed by the ladies of the 'Sister Duchess'). She wasn't the only person given misinformation, the Earls of Sussex and Essex, along with the Earl of Shrewsbury, were each given different information. The Regency Council knew it must have unimpeachable reason to search any of the Dowager Queen's ladies. Of course, the lady at the top of the suspect list was Marie's favorite: the bold and beautiful Angeline*, born in Calais but moved to to an inherited family farm not too far from Hever. Her father, who had not really liked his shop in Calais, was very happy with rural life.

It was not the life she wanted. When her parents and two younger siblings died in a fire that consumed their home, Angeline wasted no time. She forged a letter authorizing her to sell the family home for a dowry; took the money before her relatives really knew had happened, changed her last name to Parkes, had a wardrobe made for herself, forged a second letter that appeared to be from Queen Christina offering a place as maid of honor to the Queen and by the age of 15 received the appointment to Queen Marie's household. Marie prefer red her after her French ladies went home (Henry VIII had not liked three of the five, the fourth was homesick and he liked the fifth too much for Marie's comfort). They conversed mostly in French: Angeline mimicked the Queen's accent rather than using the English-tinged French of the other ladies. The result was she was preferred by the Queen. At 21, she was angling for a husband with an interesting life and a title; however, for now, she settled for being Marie's favorite.

{*Angeline is obvious not an OTL character. I just needed somebody just a little bold and brassy, old enough to know better but too ambitious to resist. I should have pointed this out the first time she was mentioned, apologies.}

Last edited:
    1549 - November (ii)
  • Naughty readers! You didn't answer the quiz!

13 - 18 November 1549

Anne was almost finished dressing for Vespers when the courier arrived with a heavy but smallish box for her. She finished dressing, let her lady leave, then sat to open it. There was a bag of coins within, packed in velvet to keep the coins from making too much noise to tempt the courier, there were two sealed letters. One was addresses to Anne herself and the other was for the King of England Henry IX and his Regency Council. Anne was not surprised to find her letter from Queen Mary of Scotland, who still seemed to view her as a semi-substitute for her late mother Katherine, She set the second letter aside and began reading the one to her. It began simply enough, with the Scottish Queen telling Sister Duchess that the Spanish were taking advantage of the French King's moves towards Calais to begin discussing the reunification of Navarre under Spanish protection. If the English held fast, King Henri II was sure to hear of this and would then have to decide where the troops were needed most. Both Mary and her husband James V were certain that Henri wanted Navarre as it was and would be withdrawing his troops from the Calais area. She gave updates on her children still 'at home' but was worried about her husband - the cold he had caught in September had remained and grown much worse. His breathing was now very labored. She asked Anne to pray for him.

The third page of the letter was dated three days later, on 9 November. The writing was hard to read: Mary's 18 year old son was now King James VI. His father died that afternoon of the illness he had borne two months. Mary requested masses for her husband's soul and for wisdom for the new King of Scotland. That explained the money, Anne realized. Mary also personally requested that Anne pray for her, since Anne knew what it was to lose a beloved husband. Anne refolded the letter and put it into her correspondence box, locking it as she always did (servants were not above sneaking a peak to see if they could make money of the information); then took the money and the second letter down the hall and knocked on the Suffolk's door. Charles answered at once, obliviously dressed for the service. Without waiting for an invitation, Anne entered. Vittoria was not quite finished dressing, her Italian maid of honor (the last remaining of those who accompanied her to England) assisting her.

"Leave us," she told the maid, "I will help her finish." Giovanna looked at her mistress the Duchess and Vittoria nodded and waved her away. Only after Charles shut the door behind her did Anne continue. "There is a new King of Scotland. His father died on the 9th, this letter is for the Council and the money is for requested masses for the late king. I would prefer you to take custody of both the letter and the funds, the Earl of Essex and the Archbishop would both be displeased if they knew they were sent to me."

Charles looked at the letter. "This is still sealed, how do you know - "

"Queen Mary sent me a private letter, with the news in it." Anne turned her attention to Vittoria and helped her put on two necklaces, one with a simple crucifix and the second with hers and Charles' initials set with sapphires.

"Of course I'll present these. If they ask, I'll simply remind them that I was once married to Queen Mary's aunt." Charles assured her. He frowned at the bag of money. "I'll have to find a place for this."

Vittoria smiled as Anne was helping her with her hood. "Empty your correspondence into my box and use your box to contain the money. I'm sure the Queen tells what amount was sent; you will take your box and the key to the meeting the Council will want to hold tonight."
    Charles did so, and Vittoria locked her usually unlocked box ("My letters are in Italian; who can read Italian here?" was her response to Anne asking about it being unlocked.) Charles placed the money inside his, locked it and picked it up along with his Book of Hours.

"You think I'm going to leave it here?" He asked when both women looked at him quizzically. "Besides, the Archbishop will want it in his custody when I tell him about the letter and I'll be glad for it to be out of my hands. And Cromwell will want the letter. God forbid I know something before him." He and the women exchanged grins.

Vittoria stood and Anne looked at her critically. "We're ready for Vespers," she announced. The trio left the room.

On the afternoon of Thursday the 17th, Angeline was frustrated by the cleaning and replacement of rushes in most of the hallways she could take to make a discreet exit from the building. She was forced to take the hallway with the Northumberland and Suffolk suites. She passed Anne Percy's room, but was surprised when Charles Brandon opened his door and blocked her way. But, her Queen Marie informed her that both the Brandons and the woman Marie referred to as "la salope soeur" were to be out. Marie was wrong. Behind Angeline, Henry VIII's Sister Duchess had opened her door and the rustling of fabric meant she, too, was now in the hall. No retreat.

Angeline gave a brief curtsey to the Duke. "Your grace, I am in a hurry to leave. My suitor has but a couple of hours in which we can meet."

"He'll have to wait," said Anne from behind her. "Mistress Browne, if you would come into my chambers, we need to talk." There was nothing for Angeline to do but follow her in. The door closed firmly behind Angeline and the hated 'Sister Duchess' even locked it and pocketed the key.

The next meeting of the Regency Council was held on the 18th. It was a meeting without those abroad or the Dowager Queen or the French priest (her confessor) who attended as her proxy when she could not attend.

"First, we will hear from Archbishop Pole, who received a letter from His Holiness the Pope. Whatever it said pleases him, and I am curious as to what makes him happy." Cromwell informed them.

Pole stood. "The official documentation is to be brought by special messenger; but I am informed that I am to be England's Cardinal." He smiled broadly. There was a small burst of applause and Pole sat.

Cromwell stood again. "And now, for unpleasantness: Sister Duchess, will you tell us what your search of Mistress Angeline Browne, the favorite of Dowager Queen Marie, revealed." He sat as Anne rose.

"Unfortunately, we found these," she held up papers, then handed them to the nearest Council member, who began to peruse them as she spoke. "The Duchess of Suffolk and I oversaw the search of Mistress Browne. These papers were sewn into the bodice of the gown and it looked as if this might be how the information from this Council is being leaked. Mistress Browne would not speak, but I understand my lord the Earl of Essex has had her taken to the Tower on the King's behalf. The Duke of Suffolk and I both agreed with him and we informed the King of the actions this morning. The King is pleased that we have found how the French have been told secrets, but wishes to be informed when we take a decision on Mistress Browne."

Cromwell had the papers now. "These are treasonous, and have been written by the Dowager Queen. This could be difficult, we will have to discuss all our options carefully before making a decision. Mistress Browne will be tried for treason, but the former Queen, we will definitely need not only our wits, but the wisdom of God before acting."

Last edited:
    not h
  • Update so you know I'm still here:

Marie is going to France for Christmas at the invitation of her eldest son, Frances III, Duc de Longueville. It's kind of her admission of guilt in the Angeline Browne incident.

It could be interesting: OTL the lad lived 30 Oct 1535 - 22 Sep 1551, since Marie's so keen on getting son Prince Michael of England wed, might she remain for while to find a wife for the eldest. Frankie's regent his grandmother, Antoinette du Burdon, dowager Duchess of Longueville (and if that's how to write, apologies). OTL, (I don't know he died over) 1550 he began a downtown in health that resulted in his death and his cousin Leonor d'Orleans claiming the title.

edit: corrected birth date of Francis III, due de Longueville.

Last edited:
    1 - 5 December 1549st
  • 1 December 1549

Angeline Browne was led to the scaffold with her head held high. Dressed in her day-to-day clothes, she looked neither to the right or to the left as things were thrown and "traitor" and "French whore" (her Englishness notwithstanding) shouted at her. She made no attempt to dodge the vegetables (and sometimes harder items) and kept her eyes forward as she was led up the scaffold. The headsman and the priest were ignored as she was prepped to die. And then she was allowed to speak.

"People of England, I am here because of the treachery of the Regency Council, which has refused the wise council of Queen Marie. She has sought to uphold -" nothing else was heard, as the crowd roared for her to receive justice. Angeline silenced the priest (he alone heard her "I nothing to repent!") and refused to pay or forgive the headsmen. When they realized what she was doing, the crowd threw coins, which the priest gathered and gave to the headsman. He counted out his fee and handed the rest back. The priest loudly absolved the headsman from sin as he "carried out the lawful orders against this traitorous wench, Angeline Browne". The crowd shouted its approval of his words and two of the men who walked her to the scaffold forced her down. She had refused to put up her hair and so when her head was parted from her body, some of it was cut as well. The crowd cheered, then began to disperse, some dipped kerchiefs in her blood and a few picked up locks of hair. Within an hour, the area was cleared and her body put into a box along with her head for burial. Queen Marie had arranged that much for her.

But Marie de Guise had not been seen (neither had her three French maids) since Angeline's arrest.

5 December 1549

The Duke of Suffolk opened the letter sent the Regency Council with the seal of the Duchess of Longueville - not the Queen of England (that seal had had to be taken away from her to prevent actions she'd taken immediately after Henry VIII's death, she had been trying to usurp the Regency Council). It was written in French; Sister Duchess took it from him and read it, then turned to the council.

She says she has returned to France because we refuse to accord her the respect and honor to which she is still entitled as the widow of King Henry VIII. She orders that her jointures be forwarded to her son Francis III, the Duc de Longueville's estate. She wishes an English bride of rank for him, as his guardian has failed to find him a suitable bride. She chastises us for executing Mistress Browne, whom she claims was carrying out the lawful orders of her Queen. Anne threw the letter on the table.

"I suppose we will have to discuss her jointures and the bride question. She is, after all, the widow of Henry VIII as she pointed out."

Archbishop Pole said: "At the next meeting, we will have to look at all matters. Part of her marriage contract with the King called for her jointures to be used to supplement the expenditures on any children they had together."

1549 - December
  • 12 December

"I hope this isn't a long meeting," Anne murmured to Charles as they entered the chamber.

"From your lips to God's ear," he replied with a grin. She laughed and started to reply, but they were interrupted by the arrival of the Earl of Surrey. Henry Howard looked flushed and out of sorts, fumbling with papers he seemed to be trying to put into order.

"Problem?" asked Brandon. Surrey looked worried.

Instead of answering, he thrust papers into the Duke's hand and went immediately to pour himself a drink. Charles took a seat and began reading. Anne placed the folder she'd been carrying before the chair at the head of the table, then returned to Brandon's side and began reading over his shoulder. Other council members began entering and taking seats while they were served wine. The King would not be present and had asked the Archbishop of Canterbury to preside in his place. However, the meeting wasn't called to order until after the Duke of Suffolk and Sister Duchess finished reading and all were seated with wine and the decanters placed along the table. Anne moved her chair to its proper position as Brandon headed Howard back the letter.

The Archbishop stood as he looked at Howard's letter and pulled another letter from underneath his cassock. "Your father?" Howard nodded. "The Duke of Norfolk was found dead in his bed Saturday morning. Apparently, he had been in pain for days. It says nothing else about the matter save for the body will be returned to his family for burial."

"Yes, I was told the same; however, the doctor sent a report as well; it appears there a rupture of a blood vessel - his abdomen was full of blood. The doctor says nothing could have been done for him." Howard confirmed.

"We will take the time to pray for the Duke of Norfolk," announced Canterbury and made the sign of the cross. Everyone echoed his action and stood, bowing their heads as he began praying. He finished with an 'Amen', made the sign again and seated himself as did the others. When it was quiet, the cleric looked through the file Anne had placed at his seat. He looked up and around the table. "I think, instead of the planned course of events, we shall confirm Henry Howard as Duke of Norfolk. Are there any objections to that?" He waited and looked around the table, no one spoke. "Then, Henry Howard, you may be styled His Grace Henry Howard, Duke of Norfolk from henceforth. After our break, we shall arrange a ceremony with the king officiating."

"And the Dowager Queen?" asked Brandon. There was a general sigh at the table.

"How about we wait until after the Feast of the Epiphany?" The new duke suggested. "That way we can enjoy our holidays - those of us who are going home and come back with clearer heads."

"We'll have to give her dates for a trial, a safe conduct, a - " Anne began, but was cut off by Norfolk.

"I have to arrange a return to Calais to take over; I'm going to have to arrange for the withdrawal of troops after deciding how many to leave to discourage King Henri from renewing his efforts. All while grieving my father; we had many differences, but I am going to miss his counsel."

"He's right, Sister Duchess," remarked Edward Stanley, Earl of Derby. "We need to pray on this matter."

"The matter of the king and his siblings, has that been decided?" She then asked. "Since Catherine is having so much trouble with this pregnancy, we decided he would not come with me this time. The Duke of Suffolk has offered to take him since Michael and Antoinette are going to the Norfolk Estates."

"Where are the younger two girls going?" asked Derby.

"With me, that hasn't changed," Brandon told her. "My lady wife is more than happy to have him."

The meeting went on.

Last edited:
    More 1549 December
  • 17 December 1549

'Sister Duchess' Anne Percy arrived at Northumberland on the evening of the 17th. Sleet had made the last portion of the journey almost unbearable. She had barely gotten dry and redressed when a maid came rushing into her rooms.

"The mistress has started her labor!" She exclaimed breathlessly and ran out again.

Anne thought for a moment. Catherine wasn't due for another three to four weeks, but then, she had had many pregnancies. She pulled a pelisse over her gown and headed for Catherine's rooms.

Last edited:
    Still December 1549
  • 18 December

Catherine was exhausted. The labor seemed to be taking forever. Jane, one of her ladies, mopped her forehead and murmured the Lord's Prayer. At Catherine's feet, both the midwife and Anne waited. Catherine vaguely heard a gasp, but was too weary to understand it.

"Feet!" Anne gasped. She looked at the midwife, who ordered:

"We must get her to the bed. Put pillows to prop her up, this will be difficult." They had to call in a male servant to do so, but got her in the huge bed. Anne and the midwife began the desperate task to save Catherine, if not the babe. But both knew the boy had little chance of living in the circumstance, but if they could get him out, it might be possible for the mother to live.

Last edited:
    GOOD NEWS [I hope]
  • Ive injured my left knee and hip (no, wiseacres, that isn't the good news!). Since I'm to lie about, might as well try to accomplish something. So, here I am.

I'm gonna try to wrap this up as I've planned along [and Anne herself seems to like].

Also
  • My brother reminds me I've got "the heirs of h8 & Koa" to do as well. [So I guess that one's next.]

At least I got the post 1900 "Fasten You Tour Seatbelt" (my Duana, Princess of Wales survives the 1997 crash before all the mess that is Harry's "Circus"

1549 - 18 December [via Android phone, you lucky readers!]
  • Near midnight, 18 December
    The baby boy was tiny. Despite the long experience of the midwife, helpers, and his grandmother, he never took a breath. His exhausted mother held him after Anne had wrapped him in a blanket and handed him over.

"He looks just like Geoffrey did," she murmured through tears. She sighed deeply, laid her head back and closed her eyes. It took a moment for Anne, who sat beside her, to realize that the mother had joined this boy in the hereafter.

Last edited:
    23 January 1550
  • Regency Council Meeting 23 January 1550

It was the Duke of Suffolk's turn to chair, which meant a much more relaxed atmosphere and a happier King Henry IX. He positively hated it when the Archbishop was in charge, although he prayed to open the meeting.

"We have two letters that need to be addressed," Charles began, only to have Anne interrupt him.

"I have received a letter from the Dowager," she explained. "We have three to address."

23 January 1550: First Letter [Henry, Duke of Norfolk
  • 23 January 1550

The tone of the new Duke of Norfolk's was uneven. He reported the there had been a great deal of activity in the nearby French troops. The first item of interest was that the French encampment had been moved away to other side of a small hill. He and his officers discussed the real possibility concerned that King Henri II was perhaps going to try to take action against Calais while France going to check the Spanish in Navarre.

This worry was greatly alleviated when Norfolk's 'bed warmer', Guyonne, a young woman French who who was trading secrets to the English [and her favors only with the Duke] informed him that her youngest brother and her grandfather had been forced to don French uniforms and to play soldier with only two real officers left to supervise their 'troops'.

Two reconnaissance missions confirmed that the 15-year-olds information was almost perfectly accurate. Instead of two soldiers, there one angry Captain, furious that his command consisted of local civilians; the younger men were completely untrained, insolent, and angry that they were being kept from home while older ones were truly older: several of them were cripples, others hard of hearing, and all as angry and sullen as the youths also conscripted for the farce.

Nevertheless, the Duke recommended keeping troops in Calais.

The council agreed with the Duke's recommendation and were about to draft a reply when the young king asked the Archbishop "Why does His Grace the Duke of Norfolk need a bed-warmer? Do not the solders in Calais have enough blankets?

The rest of the council allowed the clergyman to handle the query, as they were suddenly busy with the papers before each of them.

Last edited:
    23 January 1550 [the second letter: Dowager Queen Marie]
  • 23 January 1550

The Duke of Suffolk read the letter from the dowager aloud.

She wanted: Her dower in full; although she had agreed after her late husband King Henry VIII, that 3/4 of her dower was to be used to care for her children by him and dowries for their daughters; she claimed that she hadn't been 'properly advised' when the arrangement had been made. She was "insulted" that the men of the court treated her so abominably. {The letter conveniently ignored the funds given to her in lieu of her taking crown jewelry out of the country when it was learned that she was planning to 'visit' France.} She charged that the children of Henry VIII should be cared for without her dower monies. She also claimed that not even the monies she had been promised had been paid to her. {Her dower funds were sent to the King of France, in keeping with the marital contract between her and the late King of England.}

Her second request was that an English girl "of high breeding and able to bear children" be sent to her to wed her son Francis, the current Duc of Longueville; he was in need of a bride and a son or else his cousin would inherit the title and lands. She would waive a dowry for the girl if - and only if - her full dower rights were restored to her, since her departure from England.

Her third request was one that had already been mostly fulfilled: that all her clothing, jewelry, religious icons and other personal items (carefully listed) be sent to her at her son's home. [Among 'her jewels' were the crown jewelry for which she had been recompensed even though she was no longer Queen of England.} She expected, at the very least, that this request could be expedited without a lengthy debate. If this did not happen by the end of six weeks she informed them, she would tell His Majesty Henri of France how shabbily she was being treated by a people whose Queen she had once been.

The Duke looked about the rest of the council. The young King was busy copying the Latin work he had been given by the Archbishop during a break in the meeting. {Although no one dared ask if the Archbishop had explained what His Grace Norfolk meant by 'bedwarmer'.

Earl Stanley looked a bit confused; the Dowager Queen had made it quite clear that she did not want an English bride for her first son. She had freely agreed to forego the royal jewels in exchange for gold, and the dower arrangement was only in effect while she resided in France. He was, as Anne had long suspected, not as bright as he seemed to be when you talked with him. She sighed and the rest of the council looked at her expectantly.

"You'll want to hear the letter she sent to me," she told them.

23 January 1550 [The third letter: Dowager Queen Marie to Dowager Duchess Anne] New
  • 23 January 1550

Before she began, Anne looked at the young cleric seated near the fire.

"I believe the king is hungry; are you hungry, your majesty?" She asked.

Henry looked up from the text he'd been copying, smiling and nodding. "Yes, I am." He agreed. His cleric/tutor stood up as the young king pushed away from the table. The cleric looked pointedly at the mess and the pulled out chair, but said nothing. Nor did he move.

With a sigh, King Henry IX pushed his chair in, straightened the papers, and handed them to the tutor. The pair then left the room.

The men looked at Sister Duchess. She took a deep breath and unfolded the thick paper.

"It's dated the same as her letter to the one to the council," she began. " Anne, my dear Sister Duchess, Let me begin by telling you how glorious was to see another woman of wisdom on a council of rough men. It was difficult to leave you alone there. But as my children with Henry are well in your overseeing how the council treats them. As a mother, I know you appreciate the difficulties of finding a suitable bride for a beloved son.

I know that are are in touch with the King and Queen of Scotland, even though my step-daughter refuses to answer my letters and refers them to her husband for replies, and he never addresses the issues I raise. I have asked the Regency Council, but fear the masculine prejudice they hold as men in power will result in them discarding my request. I feel my late, beloved husband would be pleased to know that his Sister Duchess had helped his widow.

Your relationship with Queen Mary should allow you to request a Scottish young lady of breeding as a bride for my son Frances, the Duke of Longueville, should the bigoted men decline to help their former Queen - despite their vows at my wedding to their sovereign. You also have contacts in Europe, as your lovely daughter Queen Lysette of Poland could assist you in my mother's quest for her son. My absence from France seems to have enabled King Henri II to forget his promise to me to find my beloved Frances a bride. You alone of the council, my dearest Anne, can understand my anguish.

Even a daughter of Ireland, should she be of your late brother's (who I know were so close and loved so much) standing. You realize how the French Court would react to an uncouth, lesser-civilized girl. I know your love for England would not allow anything of that sort to happen to a French noble as my son. He is the child of my first husband and since the death of his younger brother, my only living remembrance of his late father, my first love. (As you also wed the man you beloved before your marriage, you will understand my anguish.)

If your Lysette could find even a suitable bride among Queen Mary's Hapsburg's relatives (through her sainted mother Katherine, my beloved Henry's first wife), it would place me forever in your debt.

I do know of one suitable English woman. Lady Christina Grey, granddaughter of the Duke of Suffolk. She is of age, and is of suitable rank to not disgrace my son's dignity before the French King. I dare not approach the Duke of Suffolk with this request, as he is jealous of the closeness I has with my late husband Henry. But I think you could maneuver the union without my having to lose dignity by asking him directly or requesting King Henri to make the offer. I would gladly withdraw my requests (which you will know of since King Henri's scribe sent the missive to the Regency Council) concerning my dower rights. If the Mirror of Naples could be sent as her dowry, I would present it to the greedy man who reigns in France and could return to the French Court as a respected peer of his Queen Catherine. As Lady Christina has an Italian step-mother and, as you have told me in one or more of our conversations, can converse easily in the language, this would also lead to her also being at the French Court (after she bears a son for my son). You can appreciate this from your own youth.

Your assistance in my search to bring happiness to my beloved Frances. I know that you will keep this correspondence secret as a confidence between friends.

Written with a heart of love for a woman I have always admired and prayers for your and your family's continued success and prosperity,
    by my own hand,
    Marie,
    Dowager Queen of England"

Anne set the letter down, but did not raise her eyes from it as the Duke of Suffolk spewed wine from both his mouth and nose; he'd taken a drink of spiced wine as Anne had begun the closing of the letter.

Last edited: