Bringing back an OLD one.

We don't see "what if LBJ dies in 1965" often. This one was quite interesting with Vietnam avoided and a quieter 1960s to 1970s in some ways. There's RFK, but he's portrayed as essentially a FDR/JFK/LBJ/HHH type democrat and not the more commonly seen new lefter in establishment clothes people think he was in many timelines. You even have Reagan running and losing twice in 72/76 -- I imagine the ATL implications of failing with "backlash" candidates 4x -- Goldwater, Nixon and Reagan's two failures mean a more divergent GOP than implied. You also have no McGovern commission in TTL without primary-related riots which means the two parties realign differently 1968-80 than OTL.

Paging @raharris1973 to see if his opinion's changed on this. it has been 14+ years, or if he remembers more of his thoughts on the ATL's 1980s.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'

Bringing back an OLD one.

We don't see "what if LBJ dies in 1965" often. This one was quite interesting with Vietnam avoided and a quieter 1960s to 1970s in some ways. There's RFK, but he's portrayed as essentially a FDR/JFK/LBJ/HHH type democrat and not the more commonly seen new lefter in establishment clothes people think he was in many timelines. You even have Reagan running and losing twice in 72/76 -- I imagine the ATL implications of failing with "backlash" candidates 4x -- Goldwater, Nixon and Reagan's two failures mean a more divergent GOP than implied. You also have no McGovern commission in TTL without primary-related riots which means the two parties realign differently 1968-80 than OTL.

Paging @raharris1973 to see if his opinion's changed on this. it has been 14+ years, or if he remembers more of his thoughts on the ATL's 1980s.

Thanks for bringing this up. This one was fun.

All things being equal, I think now I would say it's more likely than not that the Republicans would win at least one of the Presidential elections 68, 72 or 76. A 20 single-party White House monopoly, while not unprecedented, is rare (1932-1952, 1860-1884, 1800-1824). I'll admit the scenario was one of wish-fulfillment.

The wishes I was fulfilling were avoiding the Vietnam War, avoiding other Cold War deterioration or wars counted as "lost", and Democrats being more successful domestically.

While contrived and a stretch, I think the excuses I came up with for having the "backlash" Republican candidates lose weren't half bad. I also don't think I pegged RFK wrongly in terms of policy instincts. The 1970s were an evolving time and there may have been less binary opposition between FDR/JFK/LBJ/HHH type Democrats and a "new lefter in establishment clothes" than meets the eye.

First of all, being in establishment clothes helps bridge the gap. And what it took to be "New Left" in the late 60s/early 70s was different from what it took in later times. The way Bobby would have a different look and feel would be his fuller-throated endorsement of this being the time to give non-whites a fair shake. But abortion and gay rights and gun control were not yet party polarizing issues. I think he'd early on have a Cuomo-esque, personally-opposed, but it's the law attitude towards abortion following Roe v. Wade. I also see foreign policy hawkishness being a consistent bipartisan thing without the Vietnam War to expend America's appetite for intervention.

I still think in that period of the Cold War the US could have gotten 2 or 3 low-medium interventions or brushfire wars that could be called "wins" by some definition for less than the price of one Vietnam War.

I really didn't do any more imagination on the 1980s or the GOP over the long-haul than what I posted in the original. Picking out George HW Bush was, to a degree, my lack of imagination talking. Having the GOP win in 1980 was just it being their turn. I saw Bush as also being somebody considered more moderate than recently defeated candidates.

So, long story short, I didn't predict specific partisan realignments into later decades. I can't say they'd be the same, but I couldn't guarantee that they would not be convergent with the evolution of the parties' demographic bases of support in OTL.

Going back to even prior discussions, the fella I referenced, Jim McAuley on SHWI, anticipated a cause of GOP victory by '72 or '76 at the very latest would be backlash against Humphrey's more liberal Supreme Court picks and that court's decisions. He didn't get into the specific decisions, but he assumed they would be out of step with public opinion. I would nickname that the "Dirty Harry Callahan" theory of politics.

I don't think your scenario of a second new deal/dems in power from 1961-1981 is implausible at all. We've got a smoother 1960s and 1970s in TTL so MUCH less reasons for the electorate to be OTL 1980s-present type fickle. Perhaps the ATL pattern ends up being dems 1961-1981, republicans 1981 to 1997/2001, followed by another dem period. Then again, who knows maybe you get someone like Connally as the rep in 1980 and a *watergate, leading to OTL type fickleness a decade later.

Picking a more moderate rep makes sense for what you said imo.

I doubt if Humphrey or Bobby Kennedy would have been any more successful than Johnson at avoiding Vietnam. I think the only President who could have gotten away with abandoning Vietnam was Eisenhower. That being the case I see a republican victory in 1968 0r 1972.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
I doubt if Humphrey or Bobby Kennedy would have been any more successful than Johnson at avoiding Vietnam.

So they would fight it? Here I went off HHH in the White House staying true to the position he took as he advised LBJ in '64 and '65.

think the only President who could have gotten away with abandoning Vietnam was Eisenhower.

....and he kind of did. North Vietnam, that is. It was his historic job to abandon *all* Vietnam, to spare both countries further war, and his unlucky successor, Ford, a later defeat. But Ike whiffed it and kept it on America's plate as a gift that kept on giving (and taking).

But your implication is that Humphrey may abandon Vietnam, but not "get away" with it, as in electoral punishment would be certain for '68 or '72? -

So it was 'heads they win, tails you lose' for the 60s Democrats? dodge the war and and "who lost Vietnam?" is a potent Republican issue like "who lost China?" in the 50s. Engage in the war and break your own coalition.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Paging @raharris1973 to see if his opinion's changed on this.

If I were to re-engage the timeline, since I had an Angola war in it, I think I would the entry of AIDS into the US earlier, because there would likely be US air bases or spec ops based out of Congo/Zaire, as RFK wouldn't want the Angola intervention to be dependent upon, and especially appear dependent upon, South African support. Granted, intravenous drug supply chains may not be so close in volume as in Southeast Asia, but there's prostitution and bushmeat as potential transmission vectors.

If I were to re-engage the timeline, since I had an Angola war in it, I think I would the entry of AIDS into the US earlier, because there would likely be US air bases or spec ops based out of Congo/Zaire, as RFK wouldn't want the Angola intervention to be dependent upon, and especially appear dependent upon, South African support. Granted, intravenous drug supply chains may not be so close in volume as in Southeast Asia, but there's prostitution and bushmeat as potential transmission vectors.
Faster advance of LGBT rights in the ATL since "military draftees needing transfusion" are more sympathetic to average americans of the era than gay men or Haitians.

marktaha

Banned
Humphrey probably not so heavily involved in Vietnam but would have faced tougher opposition in Congress than LBJ did.