World War I starts in 1924: state of military technology and the military balance of power

• Thread starter Deleted member 6086
  • Start date

Deleted member 6086

If the Great War had started a decade later, how would the Great Powers' armed forces have looked in 1924? Of course, there were many things bubbling under the surface in OTL's 1914 (Russian and A-H potential instability, the Young Turks' consolidation of power in the OE after the Balkan Wars, etc.), but let's assume, for the sake of the argument, that the powers and regimes that took part in the war in OTL are still around in *1924 (even if the prewar *1924 alliances look different than the ones in 1914).

I am particularly interested in the state of aviation. What do fighter/bomber aircraft, and air doctrine, look like in the mid-1920s without a Great War to test things? What about armored vehicles - do they get developed and fielded in numbers? In the naval sphere, do battlecruisers continue being built later than they were in OTL, and what would they look like if so? And aircraft carriers - which navies would be the first to field them, if any are built by *1924?

Finally, what would the actual relative strengths of Great Power armed forces look like? I recall that Russia was rapidly modernizing its army in the early 1910s - would that continue to effect, if Russia has the resources? Would the US Navy keep expanding relative to European fleets, and would the European naval arms race cool down? And would France's bad demographics make its army less and less powerful relative to the German one, even with the three-year draft and without the bloodletting of our 1910s?

I think that Germany's diplomatic/military position, in the opinion of its elites, would keep getting worse and worse as the 1910s go on. This would make Berlin earnestly trying to improve relations with Britain, to the extent of informally limiting its navy, much more likely. But Wilhelm's asinine personality would as ever be the main obstacle in that.

I would be interested in reading your opinions. I will try to contribute with what I can.

Pretty interesting idea, so here are my quick thoughts:
Technology:
  • All-metal aircraft probably occur by this time, either with peacetime military spending or simply private ventures
  • Synchronization gears were already being proposed in the early 1910s, so I would guess those show up. With the ability to mount machine guns on aircraft, I would say fighter aircraft will exist during the outbreak of the war.
  • Close air support probably doesn't exist in any substantial capacity prior to WWI, since it took most of the war for concerted close air support.
  • Strategic bombing probably does exist with the advent of metal planes, plus the bombers already existing before WWI, like the Ilya Muromets bombers. Also zeppelins still exist.
  • Likewise, aerial torpedo proposals were already being floated around prior to WWI, and if torpedo bombers become a thing, I can easily see aircraft carriers emerging from the seaplane tenders.
  • The tank might not exist, since the Landship Committee was formed in direct response to trench warfare, but armored cars probably make significant advances. Maybe a designer realizes that caterpillar tracks on an armored car can allow more weight due to lower ground pressure, thus resulting in a tank, but I would say its a tossup.
  • Germany ceded the naval arms race to Britain in early 1914 and already was looking into alternatives. I would say Germany gets improved U-Boats and torpedoes, but most other nations largely continue their battleship/battlecruiser buildup.
  • Fisher not getting called out of retirement probably means the battlecruiser is less popular than OTL, but the battlecruiser probably still exists in some form.
Balance of Power:
  • Russia's a lot scarier. A decade of peace means economic growth, further industrialization, an even larger population, and far better logistics. Of course, the underlying political issues are still there, but the Central Powers are still going to have a tougher time for as long as the public supports the Tsar.
  • France's population still probably increases during this timeframe, although both Germany and Russia outpace it.
  • Austria-Hungary and the Ottomans are probably even less powerful, as internal divisions probably stop its military from matching the pace of its neighbors. The Ottoman empire might be slightly more stable with an additional decade for the Young Turks to stabilize and modernize the country.
  • I don't think diplomatic relations change too much if all the major powers continue existing in one form or the other. The Ottomans might be slightly more German aligned with the completion of the Berlin-Baghdad Railway (at least to Basra), but basically all parties are firmly entrenched in one camp or the other.
  • Britain is largely in the same position as before, albeit with an even larger surface fleet compared to the Germans, since the Germans abandoned the dreadnought race a decade ago.

A few thoughts

1) Ground transportation will be more mechanized. Cars and trucks were getting much better and much more common and the war had nothing much to do with it.
2) shipping would be a bit better as all the sailing ships would were being replaced with improved more modern ships.
3) Trains as used on the front will be a bit better and use more gas/diesel power as that was slowly starting to happen.
4) Small arms will be not a lot different
5) Machine guns will be better a lot of the design changes that came in during the war were slowly happening before the war the war just compressed the time. Less money and urgency means it takes longer to replace existing weapons but the designers will still be working on them
6) Warships. This development will continue about at normal speed. And with out the war you probably don’t get the interest in limitation treaties. Note this includes Subs.
7). Artillery. Once again much like machine guns the designers will design but the budget to replace will not exist until we get close to actually fighting. So it will take a while to upgrade artillery.
8). Tactics won’t change much if at all. Without a war showing how bad they were it wont be obvious the tactics suck.

9). Now we come to the difficult one…. Aviation. The war really did increase technology at a pretty rapid pass as the tossed money at it and tried a lot of aircraft designs and found out what worked and what didn’t. It was very much accelerated by each side trying to one up the other side. Add in that things like fighters and bombers were sort of invented during the war itself from experience gained during the war.
The aircraft and the engines and such will continue to be developed as they were being developed befor the war. But the cost of this development will mean that it won’t happen as fast as it did in original 1914-1919 timeframe.
So ultimately I expect that aircraft will be a LONG way behind original 1924. In both physical/mechanical systems as well as engines and aerodynamics. But even farther behind in design/use concepts as the lessons learned during the war will not have happened.

marathag

Banned
  • All-metal aircraft probably occur by this time, either with peacetime military spending or simply private ventures

The World’s First All Metal Aircraft – The Junkers J1​

A revolution in aircraft manufacturing was under way when on December 12, 1915, at the Döberitz airfield west of Berlin, the Junkers J1 took off for her maiden flight. The J1 was the first aircraft built completely of metal - other than all contemporary planes which were manufactured of wood, struts, tension wires, and canvas. It was the era of biplanes, of those ‘flying boxes” and their death-defying pilots, and all experts of the time believed that aircraft could only be constructed of light material, and not of a heavy material like metal. Their opinion: “There’s no way metal can fly.” Yet one visionary saw the future of aviation differently: In the opinion of Professor Hugo Junkers (1859-1935) the future of aircraft not only consisted of aerial competitions and air battles, but in the transport of passengers and goods. And only a metal aircraft could achieve that.
The J1 was the world’s first aircraft to also feature another innovation: an unbraced, cantilever monoplane wing with a thick profile guaranteeing the wing’s inner stability. Already in 1910 Professor Junkers had received a patent for his concept of the “thick wing.” In his own wind tunnel he then tested a multitude of wing profiles, confirming his expectation that a thick wing resulted in no more resistance than the thin, curved wing profiles common at the time. Instead, the thick wing allowed for a much better uplift and could carry additional load. Both Junkers’ innovations - the metal construction and the self-supporting thick wing - are influencing aircraft manufacturing still today.
As duralumin, a particularly strong aluminum alloy, had only just been invented and was difficult to obtain, the Junkers J1 was still built of steel. However, Junkers’ employees at his Dessau plant, where Junkers gas heaters were built, were experts in processing extremely thin sheets of metal, with a thickness of only 0.1 to 0.2 millimeters. The smooth exterior of the aircraft was reinforced internally by corrugated iron. This modern structure was later also used in other aircraft, like the Boeing B-17 in 1935.
The J1 was not intended for mass production, but rather served to demonstrate these new technologies. Less than two years later, in 1917, Junkers introduced the J7, the first monoplane made of corrugated duralumin which would become typical for all subsequent Junkers aircraft.. Four years after the J1, in 1919, the Junkers F 13 started for her maiden flight. The F 13 was the world’s first all-metal transport aircraft, and it became a huge commercial success. Over the next decade, a whole family of passenger and freight planes followed, such as the W 33 and W 34, the three-engine aircraft G 24 and G 31, the four-engine G 38, and finally the legendary three-engine Ju 52, nicknamed “Tante Ju” [Aunt Ju].
Considered a milestone in aviation technology, the Ju 1 was exhibited from 1926 at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, Germany. In December 1944 it was destroyed during a World War II bombing raid. 100 years after the first flight of the J1, the Junkers Technology Museum in Dessau, Germany, intends to build a full-scale replica of this pioneering aircraft, financed through a crowd funding campaign at Kickstarter. For more information on the campaign and how to support it, visit www.J1-project.com. For information on the life and work of Prof. Hugo Junkers, as well as on his aircraft and other products, visit www.junkers.de.

Specifications of the Junkers J1​

Engine:1 x Daimler DII with 88 kW (120 hp)
Wingspan:12,95 m
Length:8,62 m
Height:3,11 m
Empty weight:900 kg
Loading capacity:180 kg
Take-off Weight:1,080 kg
Top speed:170 km / h

I know that the focus is on state of military technology and the military balance of power, but I think that the impact on finance would be interesting.

It is my understanding that Great Britain was at her peak financial power, with the USA and Germany growing in economic strength. The USA was a net debtor. With this delay, would we see any significant changes in the economic and financial power of the USA?

Deleted member 6086

I think a lot of the money which was being spent on naval building by the Great Powers pre-WWI would start being redirected towards air arm spending, as you'd likely see a similar arms race in that category even without the war accelerating development. This had already begun pre-WWI, when advancements in early military aviation in each separate country were largely happening in response to developments by other armed forces.

Driftless

Donor
I'd guess some of the following things occur:

• Half-tracks were in pre-OTL WW1 use in several countries, especially the French designed machines used by the Russians (including the Tsar) They're probably a practical path to full tracked vehicles at some point, though the big full-tracked Holt (and others) tractors get used for prime movers of heavy artillery.
  • I believe some of the colonial powers were using light aircraft in the tactical support role from the 10s into the 20s. Observation, strafing, terror bombing with very light bombs (if you've never seen a plane and now its dropping small bombs on your village, it would likely scare the hell out of you). That capability slowly grows
  • Continually improving engine technology for all mediums leads to bigger, more capable stuff.
    • More HP for land vehicles leads to larger and faster cars and trucks. Maybe speed becomes the go-to on a 1924 battlefield
    • More HP for planes and the greater attention to aerodynamics leads to higher speed racing planes in peacetime and probably leads to an early jump for monoplanes over multi-winged aircraft.
    • More efficient powerplants promotes speed on the waters too.

Driftless

Donor
With a decided peace time shift to more cars and trucks in public use, when does a large strategic fuel reserve become a policy issue for governments? Everything is hunky-dory with buying fuel on the international market till your prime supplier might become your enemy in wartime.

Other posters have covered most of the changes but the really big one is the increased degree of mechanisation that an additional 10 years of peace would have brought might have made the Schlieffen Plan possible. The OTL plan was simply impossible with human walking pace and horse borne logistics but if the Germans had realised they had this problem and also noticed that there was a lot more lorries and cars on German roads and adapted their mobilisation plans to create a series of motorised logistics units which were all dedicated to support the First and Second Armies it could have worked.
Of course the problem is if the French notice all the lorries and cars on French roads and decide to create some motorised units themselves and then keep them in reserve.

Before someone says you are not getting 1940's Blitzkrieg which was above all dependent on radio communication enabling units to coordinate across much greater distances. 1924 is too early for that.

marathag

Banned
With this delay, would we see any significant changes in the economic and financial power of the USA?
The rise of US economic Power would not be changed. Financial Power would also go on its previous rate of increase, rather than the huge jump provided by War loans to the Entente , and then cost of the War
1666971686160.png

Before someone says you are not getting 1940's Blitzkrieg which was above all dependent on radio communication enabling units to coordinate across much greater distances. 1924 is too early for that.
I disagree. A "blitzkrieg" analogue is feasible, just not really in the advanced form reached in 1940. It would more resemble 1870 with more modern technology.
A major problem the Germans faced in the initial campaign in the West with regards to coordination was sheer information overload. Moltke was at one point reduced to tears because he was being pelted with an unreadable volume of reports from the front. As Robert Citino notes, this was a failure of software, not hardware. The German staff simply was not capable at that time of processing so much information into a readable form for high command, and the result was a breakdown of high command's actual control over the front.

Last edited:
If the Great War had started a decade later, how would the Great Powers' armed forces have looked in 1924?
A decade is a long time. Many things would change.

For starters, it is often claimed that the French level of militarisation was unsustainable and a downsizing of the armed forces was expected. So, compared to 1914, the French army of 1924 might be overall smaller, but more "elite".

In contrast, the German army would likely have received greater attention in the decade leading up to the war compared to OTL. The reason for this is the German loss of the Anglo-German naval arms race. By 1912, the Germans gave up on catching up to the British in terms of capital ship production and consequently relocated some of the freed up funds to the army. Ten more years of this could make a real difference.

Russia: New railways and modernised artillery park, larger concentration of machine guns and light machine guns. The size of the army would be unlikely to change though. The Russian Navy would be significantly more formidable.

The largest change in terms of war-readiness would be Austria-Hungary's. The Habsburg Monarchy only began to prepare for the war in earnest in 1911, almost a decade later than most other powers. Give A-H an extra ten years, and everything I listed for the Russians as improvement would apply to the Austro-Hungarians as well, but not only that! Unlike the Russian Army, the Austro-Hungarian Army would also go through a significant expansion too. Another notable thing related to the army could be the upgrade of the quality of the Honvéd and Landwehr to match the Common Army's. Concerning the Austro-Hungarian Navy, it could possibly become larger and stronger than the Italian Navy, but one-on-one the French Navy would still outclass it anyway.

The Italian Army was also going through modernisation when the war broke out, and the Italian Navy was also planned to be expanded, but budgetal constraints might make it difficult for Italy to match its chief rivals' pace of military build up.

Britain's position as the supreme ruler of the seas would be more secure by 1924. Atleast, it wouldn't be threatened by Germany. This could lead to a signficant change in British attitude towards the two blocs in Europe.
I am particularly interested in the state of aviation. What do fighter/bomber aircraft, and air doctrine, look like in the mid-1920s without a Great War to test things?
Before the war, the focus of aviation was on the improvement of speed and range. For this reason, the idea of high maneuverabilty fighters might not emerge. I believe military planes would either be high-speed recon planes or well-armoured bombers.

Deleted member 6086

I wonder what European policy the Wilson Administration might pursue without WWI. He was certainly an Anglophile, so the post-1900 process of improving US-UK relations, which had started even before 1914, might continue. But arguably the US starts focusing more on Japan as a potential war threat rather than any European country.

Of course, Wilson might not even be re-elected in 1916, as Republicans usually won Presidential elections in that era.

Garrison

Donor
There would be more mechanization, but I'm not sure that helps the Germans. Even by 1939 they lagged far behind in motorized transport and without the lessons of WWI I can't see them making it a priority. On the other hands with the expanses of the Empire to police I can see the British developing motorized transports and even tracked vehicles, and of course they used airpower OTL, so the British are still likely to develop aerial bombing.

Deleted member 6086

There would be more mechanization, but I'm not sure that helps the Germans. Even by 1939 they lagged far behind in motorized transport and without the lessons of WWI I can't see them making it a priority. On the other hands with the expanses of the Empire to police I can see the British developing motorized transports and even tracked vehicles, and of course they used airpower OTL, so the British are still likely to develop aerial bombing.
In the 1930s the Germans had to rearm essentially from scratch (the Reichswehr being pretty much a joke equipment wise). Even with Nazi levels of military spending compromises had to be made and mass motorization was one of them, which would have been difficult considering limited German fuel supplies in any case.

In 1914-24 in this scenario Germany has a lot more opportunity to fund motorization if it wants, even if trucks etc. are inferior to 1940s models. The biggest problem, as ever for Germany, would be fuel. Imperial Germany led the chemistry world before 1914 - could it have developed coal-based synthetic fuel technology by 1924 sufficient to fuel a modern motorized army?

Garrison

Donor
In the 1930s the Germans had to rearm essentially from scratch (the Reichswehr being pretty much a joke equipment wise). Even with Nazi levels of military spending compromises had to be made and mass motorization was one of them, which would have been difficult considering limited German fuel supplies in any case.

In 1914-24 in this scenario Germany has a lot more opportunity to fund motorization if it wants, even if trucks etc. are inferior to 1940s models. The biggest problem, as ever for Germany, would be fuel. Imperial Germany led the chemistry world before 1914 - could it have developed coal-based synthetic fuel technology by 1924 sufficient to fuel a modern motorized army?
Coal based synthetics were ludicrously expensive and make zero sense, especially in the 1920s. The fact is the British or the French are in a far better position to mechanize in the 1920s than Germany courtesy of the resources offered by their colonial empires. With no war that probably means that Germany fritters away its industrial resources on the Kaiser's naval dreams.

If the Great War had started a decade later, how would the Great Powers' armed forces have looked in 1924? Of course, there were many things bubbling under the surface in OTL's 1914 (Russian and A-H potential instability, the Young Turks' consolidation of power in the OE after the Balkan Wars, etc.), but let's assume, for the sake of the argument, that the powers and regimes that took part in the war in OTL are still around in *1924 (even if the prewar *1924 alliances look different than the ones in 1914).
With an extra 10 years, probably not that different, it was military thought that progressed the most during the war. The application of already developed industry and science, supercharged with the equivalent of a century's worth of funding is mistaken for real progress when it just made enormous piles of mediocre kit.

The other thing to consider would be that for peace to be kept for a further decade then what would have to have occurred? The next Hague Peace conference was due 1915 and then another 1923 (every 7 years but the 1914 one had been delayed). The problems were understood at the time, the Director of Naval Intelligence, Admiral Sir Lewis Anthony Beaumont in preparing for the first Hague Conference in 1899 listed the practical difficulties of disarmament proposals:
(a) Disarmament is impossible without the assurance of a durable peace.
(b) A durable peace cannot be assured without adjustment of all differences such as Alsace, China, Egypt etc etc
(c) The adjustment of differences is impossible without a force to enforces the decrees of Congress.
(d) No such force exists.
The fact is that after a long peace each Power is prepared to fight for what it considers its legitimate aspirations. It will only yield when exhausted by war.
Churchill was working on a proposal in mid 1914 (he was invited to Kiel Week but didn't attend, the berth allocated to Enchantress remained empty) and he worked up a four-point arms- control agenda.
  1. at the top of his list was a discussion of the building holiday proposal that had been on the table since 1912.
  2. room for agreement might exist with regard to limitations in the size of capital ships
  3. explore ways to reduce the danger of surprise attack - “the unwholesome concentration of fleets in Home Waters ” With a reduction in the readiness of the main British and German fleets to launch concentrated offensive strikes, both sides would have less to fear from the hair-trigger danger of surprise attack.
  4. development of confidence-building measures—that is, formal procedures for mutual inspections—which “would go a long way to stopping the espionage on both sides which is the continued cause of suspicion and ill-feeling ”
No genuine willingness existed on the part of the Kaiser or Tirpitz to reduce the naval program. Quite the reverse was actually the case; both wanted to make additions to German naval strength during the spring of 1914. The Kaiser, for instance, pressed for the construction of an extra battleship. Meanwhile, Tirpitz’s staff wanted to increase the readiness of the fleet, so that it could carry out a “lightning-fast offensive . To increase both the combat power of ships and the fleet’s readiness, Tirpitz asked for an extra 150–200 million marks over and above the budget already allotted. Bethmann Hollweg, citing both diplomatic and financial considerations, fended off these requests.

There were sufficient budget and physical constraints (3rd Lock at Wilhelmshaven) to restrict the size of German ships without a limitations treaty.

The RN was already resigned to a permanent 5 tempo beyond 1920. What worried them was the manning requirements for 90 capital ships. This is what the Germans and Austrians hoped for - forcing conscription on a peacetime Britain.

After 1920, there still isn't anything that an understanding with Germany can help with. The RN/IJN combine is still the most powerful. The British will rely on the French to moderate the Russians. The Germans will only sign up for an alliance and GB neutrality in Europe before looking at arms limitation, this was the position with the Haldane Mission in 1912.

I am particularly interested in the state of aviation. What do fighter/bomber aircraft, and air doctrine, look like in the mid-1920s without a Great War to test things? What about armored vehicles - do they get developed and fielded in numbers? In the naval sphere, do battlecruisers continue being built later than they were in OTL, and what would they look like if so? And aircraft carriers - which navies would be the first to field them, if any are built by *1924?
In early 1914, the RN had plans for 300 aircraft by 1918 with the UK ringed with airstations. They would be mostly flying boats of the Felixstowe type something big enough to carry cannon to take down Zeppelins. Note that incendiary bullets were illegal so cannons to out range machineguns on zeppelins would be needed. The RN would also have a force of rigid airships as they can carry greater payloads and loiter on patrol for days.

Seaplane carriers were a mobile form of the air stations and having the ability to operate wheeled planes will bring in a flight deck. I think most navies will have aircraft carriers by 1920.

For doctrine, you may find that bombing aircraft may be limited by treaty. You wont have an example of total war to justify the targeting of civilians/industry as per strategic bombing. Their advocates may be outcast and they certainly wont get the funding to build a dedicated airforce strategic bombing capability. As it was, the Royal Navy was the force that thought in terms of heavy bombers and strategic air campaigns - not the Army. To a degree this was the same with the German Navy as they targeted London with Navy Zeppelins.

The 'heavy battlecruiser' will morph into the fast Battleship, it will be replaced by the light battlecruiser in most navies as the technology will exist to propel battleship sized guns in either tactical or strategic speed at over 30 knots. From here they will then realise that the same mission can be done with smaller ships and larger number of smaller guns.

The proposed restructure of the RN in 1914 for the breakup of the Battlecruiser Fleet into mixed cruiser squadrons (essentially paired up 'Fleet Units') may see a return to 'divisional tactics' rather than Jutland style combat.

Much of the theory applied in WW1 had been worked out before 1914. Without war, the classic 'u-boat' was fully developed and matured by 1914. Compare the German U43 class designed pre-WW1 and under construction in 1914 with the later Type VII refined during the 1920's and 30's. Only in diving depth is there an appreciable difference.

Finally, what would the actual relative strengths of Great Power armed forces look like? I recall that Russia was rapidly modernizing its army in the early 1910s - would that continue to effect, if Russia has the resources? Would the US Navy keep expanding relative to European fleets, and would the European naval arms race cool down? And would France's bad demographics make its army less and less powerful relative to the German one, even with the three-year draft and without the bloodletting of our 1910s?

The Naval Race wasn't over or 'given up'. It was at 8:5 and accepted by both the British and Germans as such. Germany still had the Naval Law which requires 41 Battleships under 20 years of age. Germany had successfully pegged the RN's lead from 2 down to 1.6. From 1912, there was a defacto arms control agreement in place between the German and British Navies where both knew how the other would react to changes in their building plans. This gives a level of predictability to the arms race for the next 5 years. Since 1911, the construction budget has been steady at about £11m. The Navy had been funded by Federal debt which had added about 1 Billion RM to the burden since 1897.

The 1914-1918 programs were already dictated by law. From 1920 on it is Tirpitz's 3 tempo of 2BB and 1BC per year. The fleet will have 40 cruisers, 144 TB, 72 Subs and 101,500 men. Annual replacement programs will include 3 Capital ships, 2-3 Cruisers, 12 TB and 6 Subs per year. Between 1916 and 1920, Germany will ramp up to 12 submarines a year to fill the 72 sub quota. The estimated annual maintenance cost for the navy would be £23,000,000. This excludes a construction budget of about £12,000,000 per year.

By 1914 the global naval balance had settled on Squadrons (8 ships per squadron) of 5:3:3:2:2:1.5:1.5:1 ratio (GB:Ger:US:Fra:Rus:Jap:Ita:A-H) not that pre-WW1 nations would bind themselves to ratios in any treaty sort of way but the above was the 'sweet spot' for each power and how they 'fit' in the global system. This would probably hold for the next 5-10 years at least.

Navies are nation building exercises. You can’t show off armies internationally (if you do there are usually consequences) but navies represent your nation and culture at regattas and reviews. To instill national spirit 'school of the nation' internally the best way is 1000 dudes with rifles as it has further reach that just 100 in an artillery battery. This will continue to be the model for continental armies.

Last edited:
By 1924, Russia will be a more significant threat to British naval supremacy than Germany and the Germanophobe Eyre Crowe and the Francophile Grey will no longer control British foreign policy. Britain is quite likely to be a genuine neutral or a wild card, there's even an outside chance that she joins up with the Central Powers.

By 1924, Russia will be a more significant threat to British naval supremacy than Germany and the Germanophobe Eyre Crowe and the Francophile Grey will no longer control British foreign policy. Britain is quite likely to be a genuine neutral or a wild card, there's even an outside chance that she joins up with the Central Powers.
Not by 1924, probably take another 10 years to be a greater threat than Germany. Russia wanted to fill the 'wild card' spot between Germany and GB in northern European waters, just as the original Tirpitz memo planned this role for Germany. The problem with Russian Naval power is that it can't concentrate. Their Med Fleet (based on Bizerte) will have to come from the Baltic, not the Black Sea. As long as the Russians are a threat in the Pacific then the Anglo-Japanese alliance is safe.

Deleted member 6086

Such an alliance configuration would make *WWI seem...interesting. From a German perspective, would the benefits of not having to face the BEF in France, and no naval blockade choking off trade, be outweighed by a much more formidable Russian army and navy in the East if Russia's pre-1914 economic/military buildup continues?

I imagine the fear of an immediate Russian drive on the Oder if the Germans try an OTL 1914/1940 type full-scale invasion of France at the beginning of the war would give the German General Staff nightmares, and might dissuade them from trying such a thing. And A-H was often vulnerable against Russia in early WWI even in OTL.

Last edited by a moderator: