Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

It sounds like most everyone involved already thinks it is just a matter of marching!

Well the Union has been disabused of the notion that it will be "On to Richmond!" in a few short months, they really don't think it will be "On to Quebec!" what with facing a two front war now.

The British on the other hand....well let's just say they might not be quite as realistic about the issue...

So we have one more narrative chapter coming up with some old and new faces. Then we get back to the chapters proper hopefully next week where we have:

The Battle of London

The Battle of Burlington Heights

Williams Army of Canada and Sumner's Army of the Hudson square off

Jackson and Johnston stare down McClellan

So we have one more narrative chapter coming up with some old and new faces. Then we get back to the chapters proper hopefully next week where we have:

The Battle of London

The Battle of Burlington Heights

Williams Army of Canada and Sumner's Army of the Hudson square off

Jackson and Johnston stare down McClellan

Should be an exciting series of battles opening up across Canada!

Should be an exciting series of battles opening up across Canada!

Oh yes. I'm hoping to do a better job orienting the battle sites this time around in the TL so I'm looking into the areas and trying to map out where things are exactly. Not incredibly easy since finding exact maps for a lot of spots is proving irritating but It's coming along!

Chapter 18: From Canada’s Fair Domain
Chapter 18: From Canada’s Fair Domain

Spencerwood, Quebec City, Canada East, April 1862

The palatial grounds of the Spencerwood estate were ideal as a retreat and home for the Governor General of the United Province of Canada. Originally built as a grand estate for the third governor of New France in the time of the French Regime in 1633 it was eventually property of the sisters of the Augustine order the Hôtel-Dieu in 1676, after the Conquest it became the home of Henry Powell in 1780 who expanded the grounds and built a grand villa with fresh English gardens for the grounds. These were expanded on again in 1833 with elms, oaks and trails; and finally again in 1854 when purchased by the government and made the official residence of the Governor General.

The Viscount Monck had taken up residence in the castle like manor home early in November of the previous year. He had taken a liking to the home, but his ever adventurous wife, the Lady Elizabeth Monck, had taken to properly decorating the residence to be more suitable to her tastes. Not that Monck himself minded, he was more than happy for her to have something to do in order to distract herself from the distressing events taking place only so far away. She seemed to be in good spirits however, entertaining guests as though there were no unpleasantness to the south, even sparing time to make the socially awkward Lord Lyons laugh as he had passed through.

Monck, large, comfortably built with square shoulders, strode casually amongst the gardens with his guests. The April rains had subsided for the afternoon, and he had spent so long trapped in the Citadelle at Quebec that he felt it was only fair that he stretch his legs in the beautiful gardens. None of his visitors seemed to mind the informal setting of the rather official meeting. In a combination of suits and uniforms they trailed him in the gardens. Col. Taché in his own red tunic stood next to Col. Lysons, and behind them came Cartier and Galt, all prepared to inform him on the state of the Province’s readiness for war.

“It is a shame Premier Macdonald could not join us today. His illness is most inconvenient.” Monck said. Behind him the three Canadian ministers exchanged uneasy glances, all were aware of the exact nature of Macdonald’s “illness” this spring.

“John has worked himself too hard since November sir, months without a proper rest. It is only natural he should have some malady befall him with his manic energy enveloping him in the last four months.” Cartier said.

“I hope he returns to health soon. Send him my best, but you’re sure my doctor would not be able to help?”

“John’s a tough old Scot my lord, a few drinks and he’ll be back on his feet.” Cartier replied mildly. In truth the drink had put him off his feet, and he would no doubt be off them for another week until he had recovered. The pattern of bursts of manic, brilliant energy, followed by weeks of heavy drinking were common to Cartier and Taché, but it would be better served that all the members of the Coalition not be made totally aware it this yet.

“I am glad to hear it, but for now we must attend to business. How are the Province’s finances?”

“So long as our loan from London is secure the Province stands to be able to lean on 18 million dollars to finance this year’s works for both warlike and civil expenditure.” Galt replied, but grimaced. “We have already borrowed a great deal, so we are currently running at a deficit. Though Macdonald’s efforts and those of other private parties have gathered 234,000 dollars for other expenditures as well throughout the winter and spring.”

“The Province is of course not fighting this war alone.” Taché added quickly nodding to Lysons.

“The Province has done a creditable job answering the call for men from Her Majesties government.” Lysons said looking immensely pleased without smiling.

“I’m sure that the people of the Province have done all in their power to aid in the defence of Her Majesties domains here in North America. Though I would be greatly pleased to learn the entirety of the fruits of their labors.” Monck replied. Lysons nodded in a professional fashion retrieving a note from the pouch he carried.

“As of this Sunday last, the Province of Canada has mustered fifty-six battalions of Volunteer infantry for service. There are four organized cavalry regiments, eleven organized batteries of artillery and three brigades of garrison artillery. There are also five companies of engineers available for service. Currently there are also drilling eight unorganized cavalry troops, and a dozen unorganized infantry companies, two further organized battalions alongside one organized negro corps. In total we have 54,000 men ready for duty as mustered by the Province of Canada.” Taché if possible the beamed broader behind his moustache as the tally was rattled off. He had played a creditable role in organizing this force after all and was responsible for overseeing all of it.

“I am most pleased with the news gentlemen. I’m sure London will be pleased as well. Sir William will surely be happy to have such a force at his back.”

“And beside him truth be told sir.” Lysons said. “Taché has led the charge on integrating the militia with the regulars, and Sir William has been most amicable to those plans. We already have one brigade of Canadian volunteers drilling at Montreal, and there are five other battalions attached to brigades within the Army of Canada. They’re splendid men; as good as the Volunteers back home in England.” The Canadians all seemed to stand straighter under such praise.

Monck allowed some of his anxieties to relax. He had expected perhaps less considering Head’s warnings about the parochial concerns of the Canadians, but he was pleasantly surprised by their diligence. Perhaps he had a better chance of keeping things together than he thought.

“And how do Captain- beg pardon, Commodore Collinson’s efforts go on the rivers?” Monck asked.

“The ice is breaking up.” Taché said matter of factly “Soon boats will be flowing up the river and our worries about supplies will be partially alleviated. I have authorized the commission of funds for the purchase of gunboats, which we have been doing anyways since February. Many river captains and former sailors in Her Majesties Navy have come forward, and Collinson is putting together a good group of men down at Montreal.”

“That’s a relief to hear Colonel.” Monck nodded and continued on his walk. In truth all this information was going in and out of Williams headquarters at St. Jean where he had moved to a week earlier almost daily. This information came to Monck in his weekly meetings with the chief ministers of the Province, while Lysons acted as the go between for the army, the Provincial government, and the Imperial government in Quebec. The man was doing the work of three men! Monck supposed he should be grateful for learning this much at least, his brief lectures on the last two conflicts in 1775 and 1812 from Taché had taught him that when the going got tough he could expect the military to take over. He hoped to avoid that, he needed the income.

Instead of dwelling on unpleasant thoughts he turned to enjoy the cool air as the first signs of spring crept northwards. The flowers were not yet in bloom, and some snow clung to the shaded areas of the garden, but it was a far cry from the frigid air of March. He fancied riding later in the day.

“I do look forward to the return of spring.” Monck said idly.

“I do not.” All eyes, except Lysons who looked understanding, turned in surprise towards Taché. Galt laughed.

“I understand you might find this climate more to your liking my dear Taché.” Galt said good naturedly “But surely you cannot deny that the warm weather will be far more pleasant for man and beast?”

“Oh that I do not deny.” The old colonel replied “The skies clear, the roads dry out, the rivers cease to flood, and it becomes easier to move men and material. It is then though,” he added “that the real killing begins.”

Rivière-du-Loup, Canada East, April 1862

Despite the onset of spring, the winter chill had not yet subsided. Snow clung stubbornly to the ground beneath stands of trees, and where it had retreated, the land was transformed into a quagmire of sucking mud and flooded land. The quiet village of Rivière-du-Loup bustled more than usual, with a company of redcoats in attendance preparing to embark up the Grand Trunk Railway bound for Montreal. The reason for their overland journey was clear as great chunks of ice drifted up the river towards the sea.

In a small cottage near the railroad the men responsible for overseeing this overland movement sat in quiet contentment seeking to keep the chill out. One of them, Lt. Colonel Garnet Wolseley, sat locked in desperate battle against an implacable foe. With a resigned sigh he watched as Major Anthony Home took his queen with a well placed knight.

“Check mate.” Home said with a smile of amusement.

“At what time did you become so good at the game?” Wolseley said scowling “I cannot recall you playing near so well in India.”

“I have had much time to practice.” Home said smiling gesturing to their surroundings. Wolseley snorted.

“I suppose we haven’t had much else to occupy our time when the men aren’t running about. The next batch will be in tomorrow I suppose and then on till the ice melts and the ships start running up to Montreal.”

“Then we can finally go where we will do some good eh Garnet?” Home said resetting the board. Wolseley shuffled to his feet and stretched. The sudden appearance of his manservant, the old file Lough who never seemed to laugh or smile, waylaid him from looking for his Fenimore Cooper novel.

“A message for you sir.” He said.

“Where is it then Lough?” Wolseley said looking curiously at Lough’s obviously empty hands. The man’s face didn’t even change as he replied.

“The messenger is holding on to it sir. He says you will want to see him.” Somewhat irritated Wolseley motioned for the man to be brought in. Lough returned leading a tall man in the fine red coat of an officer of the Queen’s cavalry, the gold braid proclaiming him a lt. colonel. A handsome face grinned at Wolseley from beneath a bearskin cap, the dark brown moustache and mutton chops stretching with his smile as he flourished a letter in soft gloved hands.

“A special delivery from headquarters at Montreal.” Lt. Colonel Soame Jenyns said stepping into the confines of the cottage. Wolseley rushed forward and grasped the other man’s hand firmly in greeting.

“Soame!” Wolseley said incredulously “What the devil brings you out to this lonely quarter of the empire?”

“Precisely what I said.” He replied proffering the letter in his hand. “You’ve got orders for transfer out west.”

“Warmer than here I hope.” Home said from behind.

“Oh where have my manners gone!” Wolseley lamented “Major Anthony Home this is my friend Lt. Col. Soame Jenyns of Her Majesty’s 11th Hussars.”

“A pleasure sir.” The Major said shaking his hand.

“We met in Montreal shortly after I arrived. He’s helping to push the colonials into shape for the cavalry. Which I hope is going better than when we last conferred.”

“Oh they’re all willing and full of pluck, but God knows they have some queer ideas about what a cavalry trooper should do. They’re shaping up though, but there’s damned few enough of them.” Soame said sadly.

Wolseley pushed everyone towards the fire and had Lough bring out some warmed cider as refreshment which Soame took willingly to hand. Wolseley looked over his orders and heaved a sigh.

“Kingston. The last truly important post in all of Canada.” Wolseley lamented.

“You’re on the front lines though,” Home commented “that must be satisfying.”

“Oh if everyone there isn’t a prisoner of war by fall that will be satisfying, otherwise I dare say it will be less so. These bloody colonials here in Canada have pluck aplenty, but pluck won’t do enough against numbers, and most of the regulars are in Montreal.” Wolseley sighed.

“And how go the Maritime colonists?” Soame asked.

“Oh Doyle’s chivying them into shape, there’s the rough process of weeding out the old grey beards and getting new blood in, but overall the Bluenoses seem to be taking to it with admirable energy. I hear we’ll have a brigade of them ready come summer if all goes well.” Wolseley said.

“Good for Doyle. He’s the man for the job in those colonies, if it hadn’t been for him we would have been waist deep in snows with nowhere to sleep when I arrived back in November.”

“Doyle’s a good man. Missed any of the fighting after Varna, but he knows his work moving men and material, he’s not battle tested though, makes me glad he’ll be holding the line on the border. With the winter road secure and no Yankees within a hundred miles of our fortifications at Houlton and Fort Fairfield we’ve got secure communications in our rear for the winter unless we manage to make a real mess of things this summer.”

“With Williams in charge…well who knows?” Soame said shrugging. Wolseley grinned and took a drink which Soame shared in.

“He’s no Wellington, but we can hope he’s a Prevost at least.” Wolseley said. Soame raised an inquiring eyebrow causing Wolseley to laugh. “A fellow from the 1812 war. Not inspiring but not wholly incompetent either, though how he managed to waste the advantage of three to one at Plattsburgh…” he trailed off as Soame grinned at him. “Well if this war has no other result, it will at least afford American historians something to write about, and save them from the puerility of detailing skirmishes in the backwoods or on the highlands of Mexico, as if they were so many battles of Waterloo or Solferino.” Wolseley said waving a hand. Soames nodded, and then grinned wolfishly.

“They shan’t make it easy for us eh Wolseley?” That got a roguish grin in return.

“Oh it will be a toughish work, but we are sure to stymy the best they have before they reach Quebec, they couldn’t manage it in 1775 or 1812 after all. If I don’t end up languishing in some Yankee prisoner of war camp this time next year I’ll wager you on it.”

“What’s the wager?” Soame said, favoring him with a grin.

“That horse of yours.” Wolseley said. Soame burst out laughing.

“Perhaps another wager! You wouldn’t want to separate a cavalryman from his mount would you?”

“I’ve always thought the cavalry could use some humility on occasion, perhaps riding into Montreal on a mule much as our Lord Christ did so long ago at Jerusalem would serve that purpose.”

“Sir those are fighting words!” Soame said with mock severity and Wolseley grinned.

“Then thank God I’m a fighting man, for its fighting men we need! Come then, I’ll have Lough bring us some dinner before I set to packing my things, then maybe we can see about finding something nicer about this part of the Empire before I’m shipped off to the edge of the earth.”

----

Well here's one last one before Christmas! Hopefully I can crank out another before the New Year but I'm not so sure! Hopefully it's enjoyed and we will get back to the meat of things in a dew weeks time :)

While the story is good, the time between updates make it incredibly hard to follow due to the plotline.
Every new chapter requires me to go back to previous chapters to refresh my brain on what I'm reading.

While the story is good, the time between updates make it incredibly hard to follow due to the plotline.
Every new chapter requires me to go back to previous chapters to refresh my brain on what I'm reading.
Well, that's why they've added Threadmarks!
*Sneaks a look at a certain author* Now if only a certain someone would add them...
HINT, HINT.

Hmm that could be a problem as this goes on. I could just do a bit of recap at the beggining of each chapter if that helps? I admit I have an advantage of it being one continuous document!

Any suggestions?

Well, that's why they've added Threadmarks!
*Sneaks a look at a certain author* Now if only a certain someone would add them...
HINT, HINT.

Well once I've got a grip on using these threadmarks I shall duly incorporate them into the thread! :)

And by request I have finally gotten around to adding the Threadmarks! You can now easily navigate this thread!

The good news is that a new chapter should be up and ready if not this coming weekend, the weekend after.

Chapter 19: Come All You Bold Canadians
Chapter 19: Come All You Bold Canadians
Come all ye bold Canadians,
I'd have you lend an ear
Unto a short ditty
Which will your spirits cheer,
Concerning an engagement
We had at Detroit town,

The pride of those Yankee boys
So bravely we took down.
The Yankees did invade us,
To kill and to destroy,
And to distress our country,
Our peace for to annoy,

Our countrymen were filled
With sorrow, grief and woe,
To think that they should fall
By such an unnatural foe.

Come all ye bold Canadians,
Enlisted in the cause,
To defend your country,
And to maintain your laws;

Being all united,
This is the song we'll sing:
Success onto Great Britain
And God save the King.

- Canadian Marching tune composed in 1812, attributed to private Cornelius Flummerfelt of the Third York Militia.

“Spring had, as is the case in our fair country, turned the roadways to quagmire and flooded the roads disturbing our ability to drill for some time, and making a great mess of the fortifications being constructed across the Province. It did though, prove quite fortuitous in deterring Yankee aggression for a time. It was of little concern to many then though, as such was the energy displayed the populace of the province that normal times seemed forgotten. Instances of devotion to Queen and country were general. Business matters were but a secondary consideration. Merchants and their clerks left their shops, students their colleges, professional men their offices, farmers and craftsmen left their fields and workshops to take up their rifles to assist in the national defence. Those who were obliged by age or infirmities to stay at home were not idle, but nobly did their part in raising funds to assist the families of those bread-winners who had gone to serve in the Volunteer battalions. All over the country large sums were raised for this purpose, and the patriotic Relief Committees were exceptionally busy attending to the proper distribution of food and supplies, both among the Volunteers and the needy families who were depending upon them.

As the politicians had been so alarmed by the events in the Caribbean with the hostile boarding of the R.M.S. Trent and the firing on of HMS Terror and the border troubles at St. Albans and Franklin, they had the foresight to call to arms the whole of our body of existing militia in November of 1861. Come 1862 they had brought yet more willing volunteers to arms, and there were some 50,000 men under arms by May.

The Province had been divided into military districts, three in Canada West and two in Canada East. In Canada West the military districts were headquartered on London, Toronto, and Kingston respectively, while in Canada East they were headquartered in Montreal and Quebec. The Province had its own military districts in each province, but the active forces were placed under the Imperial designations upon the outbreak of hostilities to avoid confusion amongst the staff. Commanding the Volunteer forces in the West were a number of respectable militia officers.

Commanding in Military District No. 1 London was Col. James Shanly, a prominent barrister who had involved himself with the militia movement since 1856 when he had organized the London Field Battery. Of good Irish stock he was an able administrator and proved himself invaluable in the opening months in handling the tasks at that most important city, having fortified Coombs Mound in the early spring.

In Military District No. 2, Toronto, of course my father was in command of the forces of the Volunteers. Such a long and prestigious militia career such as his made the choice only natural. With the organizing of our own troop of cavalry since the 1837 rebellions and my father’s service there and my uncle Richard commanding the Toronto field battery since 1858, my family was prominent in the ranks of the Volunteers of York County.

In Military District No. 3 there was a curious case of a regular officer also commanding the Volunteers. Col. Hugh P. Bourchier had a long and distinguished career in Her Majesties Imperial service. Having joined the army in 1814 he came to Canada’s shores in 1837 with the 93rd Regiment to put down the rebellion. In 1838 he became the adjutant at Fort Wellington before becoming the town major of Kingston. He helped organize the militia companies in 1855 and was a driver in the organization of the new battalions in 1861-62 and commanded Her Majesties forces at Fort Henry and Kingston. Due to these duties command of the Volunteer brigade fell to David Shaw, a solid Orangemen of good loyalist stock with experience in the militia companies since 1856.

The ardor shown by the people of the Province paid great dividends in turning out men to drill, with over 50 battalions of Volunteers armed and organized. My own specialty was the cavalry however, and our troop, the York Dragoons, or more informally Denison’s troop, was attached to the new Canadian regiment, the 1st Canadian Volunteer Dragoons[1], under Lt. Col. D’Arcy E. Boulton, a stout local businessman who had first commanded mounted troops in 1837 at 23. He fell naturally into military life and worked hard to mold us into an effective unit. We were attached to the blooming 1st Division under Major General George Napier…” Soldiering In Canada, Recollections and Experiences of Brigadier General George T. Denison III, Toronto Press 1900[2]
henry_dundas_3rd_viscount_melville_large.jpg

Lt. General Sir Henry Dundas
“Upon my assignment to Canada West I was placed under command of Lt. General Henry Dundas, a reliable old Scot who had served since 1819. He had served in Canada in 1837 putting down the rebellion there with much vigor, making his choice to command in Canada West was a natural one. With great service in India in 1847, capturing the fortress at Multan and helped smash the Sikhs at Gujrat before returning to Britain to take command in Scotland until 1860[3]. He had appealed to the Duke in order to obtain a posting in Canada and so came to command in Canada West. I was placed on his staff alongside other such capable officers as Patrick MacDougall the chief of the staff, John Wayland the chief aide-de-camp, and Richard Mountain, who was drilling the militia artillery.

He had established his headquarters in the Queens Hotel of Toronto where he maintained easy communications with all points on the frontier. We were also kept in contact with our forces afloat through the person of Captain John Bythesea, VC. A regular war hero who had so ably demonstrated his courage in the Baltic under Dundas, the brother of our General Dundas. I daresay had it not been for him the forces available to us on Lake Ontario would have suffered much for it.

Our forces in the field were under the command of perhaps the most mismatched pair of officers to have ever served together. One of course was Randall Rumley who had thirty years of experience under his belt. Most of his service had been with the Rifles and he was an infantry training specialist by reputation, something sorely needed by the Canadians in those early years, but had not seen any active service in the field prior to 1862.

Commanding the division which was based out of London however was the newly minted Major General George T. C. Napier. Useless for any military purpose he was not considered a shining light by his peers. In that case my orders both from headquarters and Dundas specified I should “coach” him and prevent him from doing anything too foolish. Indeed he seemed delighted to have by him someone whose advice he could follow. Though in private a charming man, he was at all times useless as a military commander, and yet he was a fair specimen of the men then usually selected for military commands.

After a brief stay in Toronto where I familiarized myself with the local organization of the militias and appointed a man to act in my place on the staff I went by train to London with a troop of volunteers for company.

That part of the province which London is situated in is picturesque. Good green rolling country, crisscrossed by springs and rivers it is rich in agriculture with numerous small farms and orchards along the roads. The industrious nature of the Anglo-Saxon race is much in evidence with mills all along the rivers and many fine shops worked by the good peoples of the province. The more entrepreneurial nature of an Englishman freed from the base nature of French priestcraft thrived amongst the populace, which was well evidenced by the numerous towns and cities, in stark contrast to the rural and dour nature of the French in Quebec.

London is the local seat of government in Middlesex County, an industrious city of 11,000 in those days. Its great importance was as a hub of rail travel for the Grand Trunk railroad leading to Detroit and the Great Western railroad connecting Sarnia to Hamilton, and numerous gravelled roads moving out from the city like spokes on a wheel besides. As such its control made an advance by the enemies from the Detroit frontier to the interior impossible without being contested, and left any advance up the Niagara frontier open from the flank, increasing the hazards any enemy force operating alone from either side might face.

My first duty upon reaching London was the surveillance of our position there. Unfortunately it was an unenviable position for even a well-trained army to find itself in possession of. The position was separated by the Thames River, at that point flooded, and though there was high ground which protected the city at Coombs Mound and Komoka, these positions could not support one another in case of battle. Though they shielded the roads south and west from Chatham and north and west from Windsor, they were not suitable for the covering of the town, and despite my protests Napier insisted on selecting these positions to fight the coming battle at…” – The Story of a Soldiers Life, Volume II, Field-Marshal Viscount Garnet Wolseley, Westminster 1903[4]
George-Napier-1861.jpg

Major General George Napier
“By the spring of 1862 armies north and south of the border had been gathering for war. To the south, a large force had been gathered from all the armies previously turned against the Confederate forces in the West. Now though they stood ready in two armies facing the British in Canada.

The newly created Department of the Lakes encompassed a broad swathe of the border from Michigan to the borders of Vermont. It was this great area which now lay under the responsibility of Major General Henry Halleck. Balding with gray mutton-chop side whiskers he looked considerably older in his years than he was, and had earned the nickname “Old Brains” amongst his fellow officers. His service in Mexico and his writings thereafter had distinguished him as a great military theorist amongst his peers, and his choice to command that vast front had been seen as obvious. He had gathered a creditable staff, both from his command in the West and from men who had come to the colors once again. These included his chief of staff Col. Carlos Waite, a long time veteran of 1812, and his chief engineer 53 year old Col. George Callum whose years of experience constructing bridges and fortifications would prove invaluable in the coming campaign.

Commanding the newly christened “Army of the Niagara” or I Corps, Department of the Lakes, was Major General Charles F. Smith. The 55 year old Smith was a tall, handsome, long time service veteran who had graduated West Point in 1825 with distinction and had served as an instructor in that academy only four years after graduating. Serving in the artillery and infantry, he was brevetted three times for bravery in Mexico. He participated in military boards to devise new artillery mounts, and served in the Red River expedition of 1856 and the abortive Utah War of 1859-1860. Before the outbreak of the civil war he found himself briefly commanding the department of Maryland before being dispatched by his old chief, General Scott, to Kentucky where he displayed ample ability in preparing that state for war. He served under Grant at the battle of Fort Donelson, and was seen as instrumental in overrunning the Confederate entrenchments which lead to the surrender of the garrison. His choice to command the force then assembling to invade Canada was thus a natural one.
charles-f-smith.jpg

Major General Charles F. Smith
He was at the head of an army, which though not entirely green like his Canadian counterparts, was one with mixed abilities. Fractious attitudes reigned between the officers, and many men had been pilfered from three different armies in the West, making their drill and training together from March to May of 1862 crucial in their early time in the field.

Under him were four divisions worth of troops, infantry, artillery, cavalry, and engineers, totalling over 30,000 men. Each division commanded by men who had been blooded in the Western theater.

The first division was under the command of Brigadier General John McArthur, a Scottish immigrant to the United States he had been appointed colonel of the 12th Illinois Infantry and rose rapidly in the ranks to Brigadier General of Volunteers, leading a brigade with distinction at Donelson. His foreign mannerisms well on display, he eccentrically adopted the Scottish hat for himself and his men followed in that, earning his force the nickname of the “Scottish Division” after its commanding officer. The second division was under the command of Brigadier General Jacob Ammen, who had taken command for William Nelson who had returned to naval service on Lake Ontario. Ammen was a graduate of West Point in 1831 with honors and specializing in artillery and mathematics, he had retired to civilian life in 1837 to teach, but rejoined upon the outbreak of war and first seen action at Cheat Mountain in 1861. In the third division command rested upon the shoulders of Brigadier Benjamin Prentiss, a Virginian born loyalist to the Union he had served previously in the Mexican War and now commanded a division against the British. Finally the fourth division rested in the hands of Brigadier John M. Palmer. The 44 year old politician had never served in uniform before, but he made up for that shortcoming with remarkable determination and forthright character. Speaking his mind and riding his men hard he had worked his way to commanding a division without seeing a single full scale battle.
JMcArthur.jpg
JAmmen.jpg
image019.jpg
john-m-palmer.jpg

From left to right: McArthur, Ammen, Prentiss, Palmer

These forces formed part of a broader stratagem by the Union in the spring of 1862. Lincoln and his generals knew that it would be unacceptable for the Union to merely sit on the defensive, with that came down the strategy of 1862. The cabinet knew that it needed to protect its coasts while also delivering a blow to the rebellion, but it needed a way to damage Britain, if not materially at least in prestige to force her to the negotiating table. Thus the obvious strategy of targeting Canada came about, and as one military theorist who served in that contest would later say: “There with Kingston and Montreal, by their position and intrinsic advantages, rested the communication of all Canada, along and above the St. Lawrence, with the Sea Power of Great Britain. Then, as in the conflict of 1812, there was the direction for offensive operations.” Such stratagems rested perfectly with the Jominian view of war as espoused by Halleck.

So he directed a long flanking movement with Smith’s army, designed to stretch the resources of British and Canadians thin, and to strike at the vital positions necessary to command the St. Lawrence. Palmer’s division would be sent across the Detroit frontier to push the British, while Ammen’s division would cross at Prescott and take Fort Wellington. Meanwhile, the major invasion force, directly under Smith’s command consisting of Prentiss and McArthur’s divisions would cross the Niagara frontier with the goal of pushing the British forces back to Kingston where they could be trapped and compelled to surrender.

However, despite the knowledge that speed was essential, and timing supremely important, Halleck dithered until mid-May, fixating a ensuring that each wing of his army be prepared to march at the exact same time to pin the British in place. When the armies finally did begin advancing on the morning of May 17th, the British were well prepared to meet them.

The invasion began in the early hours of the morning, just prior to dawn. On the Niagara frontier the British brigade under Col. James T. Mauleverer, a veteran of frontier fighting in India and Africa with service in the Crimean War at the Alma and Inkermen, led a bag of the best troops the Canadian Volunteers had to offer. Comprising of the Volunteer battalions from Toronto and York county, most of these men had been drilling since November of the previous year, and each unit had an attached wing of regular troops to act as stiffeners in the defence. The 2nd Battalion of Volunteer Infantry (the Queens Own) under Lt. Col. William Smith Durie, a long time militia officer, had been formed in 1860 and as such had been called out in November in response to the border raids. The 10th Battalion of Volunteer infantry was younger, having been formed provisionally in November and established officially at the beginning of December under Lt. Col. Frederic Cumberland. Finally there was the 12th Battalion of Volunteers, also formed in December under Lt. Col John Worthington. They had been drilling alongside the 30th Foot since December, even as a brigade, and thus were well prepared for the opening battles. The addition of a “wing” of soldiers from the 30th meant each battalion was over 1000 men strong.

Scattered from Niagara to Chippewa, and Fort Erie, they occupied temporary fortifications, not meant to engage in direct battle, but slow the invaders and harass their flanks. This would be done with the support of the 1st Canada Dragoons under Lt. Col. Boulton who had attached a troop to each battalion, and two more at Mauleverers headquarters at Thorold, putting fully half the units’ strength on the peninsula.

Diversionary landings were made at Queenston and Chippewa by McArthur’s division, but the full might of Prentiss’s division and a detached brigade from McArthur’s landed at Fort Erie on the morning the 17th. Crossing the lake from Buffalo under the guns of the “Lake Erie Squadron” under Commodore Silas Stringham in the USS Michigan, the only actual warship on the Lakes, a horde of steamers, tugs, and barges deposited the American troops on the Canadian shore. The invasion alarm flashed out across the country by telegram, and the forces which had been readying for war since November began embarking for positions chosen in the previous months…

Fenian_Raid_of_1866.jpg

The Niagara Frontier[5]

…On the Detroit frontier, only a single division had been tasked with making a sweeping attack from Windsor to Sarnia. Palmer’s Division, supported by a single brigade of Michigan militia and Home Guards, crossed the frontier. Palmer and his main force crossed from Detroit, while a reinforced brigade crossed at Sarnia and advanced towards Komoka. Palmer and his attached force laid siege to the newly reoccupied Fort Malden. After two days, with just enough resistance to satisfy honor, the single Royal Canadian Rifle company and attached militia gunners under Captain Alexander Gibson surrendered, hauling down the Union Jack to see the Stars and Stripes raised above the old fort made it the first post in British North America to surrender to an enemy since 1812.

Palmer’s force was, after detaching its militia element to act as the garrison on the Detroit frontier, totalling 7,500 men and 18 guns. Comprised thusly:

4th Division, I Corps, Department of the Lakes: BG John M. Palmer commanding

1st Brigade (Col. James R. Slack): 34th Indiana, 47th Indiana, 43rd Indiana
2nd Brigade: (Col. Graham N. Fitch) 46th Indiana, 22nd Missouri, 64th Illinois “Yates Sharpshooters”

Division Artillery: 2nd Battery Iowa Artillery (Cpt. Nelson T. Spoor), 7th Battery, Wisconsin Artillery: (Cpt. Richard R. Griffiths), Battery C, 1st Michigan Artillery (Cpt A. W. Dees)

7th Illinois Cavalry (Col. William P. Kellog)

Palmer’s forces advanced east towards London, skirmishing with Canadian militia the whole way. The militia troops fell back towards London, aiming only to slow the invaders down. As the telegraph wires flashed out the invasion signal, troops began advancing to their positions.

Major General Napier had command of the 2nd Division, Upper Canada Field Force, which had been tasked with defending London and stopping any American advance inland. His force, totalling some 8,800 men and 18 guns was arranged like so:

2nd Division, Upper Canada Field Force: MG George T. Napier Commanding

Division Troops: 2nd Canadian Field Brigade (Maj. John Peters), 3rd Canadian Volunteer Dragoons (Maj. Norman T. Macleod) 5cos

1st Brigade, (BG. Charles Fordyce) 2nd Royal Canadian Rifles, 22nd Battalion “Oxford Rifles”, 26th “Middlesex” Battalion Volunteer Rifles,

2nd Brigade (Bvt. Col. Edward Newdigate), 23rd “Essex” Battalion of Infantry, 24th “Kent Battalion of Infantry, 25th “Elgin” Battalion

3rd Brigade (Bvt. Col. Henry R. Brown), 31st “Grey” Battalion of Infantry, 32nd Battalion of Infantry, 33rd Battalion of Infantry

Support Troops: London Garrison, Col. James Shanley, 56th Battalion of Infantry, London company of Foot Artillery

Despite being a relatively flat piece of country, the cavalry for the division was lacking. Most of the battalions had only been raised relatively recently in December and January, and had drilled sporadically with the Royal Canadian Rifles. Their artillery, under the newly organized “2nd Canadian Field Brigade” had been formed from the London Field Battery, and the companies of foot artillery from Goderich and London. Though the London field battery had received a battery of modern Armstrong 12pdr field guns, the two other batteries were armed with cast off militia 9pdr field guns and 12pdr howitzers.

The second brigade, under Newdigate, was comprised mainly of men whose homes were in the direct path of the American invasion. As such they were the first to draw blood when Palmer crossed the border. They withdrew, and delayed this force as long as they could. Palmer worked to re-establish communications with his 1st Brigade under Slack, but his own deficiency in cavalry meant he was mostly out of contact with his second brigade. His force though, advanced along Egremont Road, until they arrived just outside the village of Komoka where Napier’s 3rd Brigade under Brown was established. He would wait for three days before he received word from Slack, but when he did the battle was joined on June 2nd…” – For No Want of Courage: The Upper Canada Campaign, Col. John Stacey (ret.), Royal Military College, 1966

-----

1] This is a completely original unit created by the British to mould the Volunteer cavalry into a more cohesive and effective fighting unit. I created it by combining the various volunteer cavalry companies in Canada West to create roughly regiment sized cavalry squadrons to attach to each Volunteer division.

2] Like other period sources some of this is word for word from Mr. Denison himself, and others bits of my own creation for the narrative.

3] Sharp eyed readers might remember him from last time.

4] Again bits of this are Wolseley’s writings and bits are entirely fictional.

5] Yeah it's the map from 1866, but sue me!

Last edited:
This chapter was becoming a doozy, so I had to cut the battle scenes. I'll be posting them in part 2 either tomorrow or Monday depending on my schedule and how quickly editing goes.

You've nailed the tone for the era in the first pieces! Very enjoyable.

Thank you! It's great to find so many personal narratives from the period with quotes that are either directly, or indirectly related to the events at hand. Wolseley proved to be an unexpected gold mine on the militia and Canada in the period (not to mention British views on the Civil War). His military mind and recollections lend a certain weight to some of my own research as well which is quite useful, and it really helps me capture the "voice" of individual actors in this period.

Lincoln has always been a hard one since he left no memoirs, and when trying to pin the actions of other men it becomes no less frustrating for lack of info. Booker and George Denison II proved easier to write about than expected, but Shanly has proved near impossible to find any good reference on. I did manage to find some info about him in a dictionary of personalities from Ontario, but nothing useful about his militia experience.

It is always a very enjoyable exercise to read this growing narrative.

Thank you! I hope you continue to enjoy it! Even if some of my chapters begin to run overly long on occasion :biggrin:

Question, didn't Napier die in 1855 or am I thinking of another one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Napier,_1st_Baron_Napier_of_Magdala

Clan Napier is large and militarily inclined. This may be the right Napier.

You are correct, George Thomas Napier is quite dead as of 1862, but other members of his large clan are hanging around (such as the above mentioned Robert Napier). However the Napier in question is not anything like his esteemed father or the Baron Magdala.

Instead we are dealing with George Thomas Conolly Napier son of the dead George Napier, promoted from Col. to Major General in December 1861 historically and placed in charge of the Toronto district OTL. However, he was not very good as a military man. The above quotes from Wolseley are quite real, and his performance during the Fenian raid of 1866 was miserable. For instance, when asked by George Denison III whether he could dispatch his cavalry to the Niagara frontier Napier simply said he didn't have permission to order them out! Another ancedote is that he apparently became rather annoyed when a militia colonel took the initiative and sent his men out to secure a bridge without orders from Napier. In fact, it seems during the campaign he stepped away from headquarters to attend a social function!

He was rather lacking in initiative and skill to say the least.

EDIT: Ah looks like I forgot to put the C. in his initials! That is confusing! Fixed that.

You are correct, George Thomas Napier is quite dead as of 1862, but other members of his large clan are hanging around (such as the above mentioned Robert Napier). However the Napier in question is not anything like his esteemed father or the Baron Magdala.

Instead we are dealing with George Thomas Conolly Napier son of the dead George Napier, promoted from Col. to Major General in December 1861 historically and placed in charge of the Toronto district OTL. However, he was not very good as a military man. The above quotes from Wolseley are quite real, and his performance during the Fenian raid of 1866 was miserable. For instance, when asked by George Denison III whether he could dispatch his cavalry to the Niagara frontier Napier simply said he didn't have permission to order them out! Another ancedote is that he apparently became rather annoyed when a militia colonel took the initiative and sent his men out to secure a bridge without orders from Napier. In fact, it seems during the campaign he stepped away from headquarters to attend a social function!

He was rather lacking in initiative and skill to say the least.

EDIT: Ah looks like I forgot to put the C. in his initials! That is confusing! Fixed that.
Fascinating!

Come to think of it, now that you mention the Fenian raids I think I recognise "this" Napier... or at least it rings a bell.

Anyway, please continue, not going to lie but this is one of my favourite TLs