Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

I recently watched the recent Simpsons episode where Larry the Barfly dies and...I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, its plot requires the complete absence of Sam to have Larry be this lonely person who no one ever noticed. It is another Simpson episode that shamelessly takes a wrecking ball to continuity.

On the other hand, it's nevertheless an unusually touching creative exercise: a background character who is little more than an animated prop dies, and his death becomes sad because many of the main characters never get to know him until it's too late. Having lost a relative who I never got to know until it was too late, I kind of emphasized with Larry more than I would've liked to.

The Simpsons has become very experimental in the last couple of seasons, and thus, it has introduced many interesting ideas.

But I feel in the death of Larry Dalrymple, we see the key to which the Simpsons could've gained new life: if it actually took the time to explore its background characters and give them a degree of humanity.

The Simpsons was always at its best when it explored the lives of characters like Apu and Principal Skinner, and I feel it could've stayed relevant if it had done more of these character studies rather than becoming the living example of seasonal rot.

1715933967762.png

I guess I can add this show actually releasing and not being cancelled to my pop culture utopia timeline

I guess I can add this show actually releasing and not being cancelled to my pop culture utopia timeline

Is this another attempt by the studio to get some of that sweet tax-write-off money?

I think that loophole proves what is wrong with American business nowadays: free enterprise is incentivized to destroy things rather than create them. GE and so many other companies once created quality products, and their leadership in recent years have stripped their companies to the bone just for more money.

In my personal pop culture utopia, such a loophole should've never seen the light of day!

Last edited:
Is this another attempt by the studio to get some of that sweet tax-write-off money?

I think that loophole proves what is wrong with American business nowadays: free enterprise is incentivized to destroy things rather than create them. GE and so many other companies once created quality products, and their leadership in recent years have stripped their companies to the bone just for more money.

In my personal pop culture utopia, such a loophole should've never seen the light of day!
Nah,that's more amazon incompetence

Tarzan (1999) is closer to the book, including Tarzan going to England and Clayton being related to him. There is a different voice cast, with there being no Phil Collins or Rosie O'Donnell, and Brendan Frasier voices Tarzan, as he auditioned and this was prior to George of the Jungle.
No You'll Be in my Heart? That's a shame.

If Rosie O'Donnell isn't voicing Terk, than who is?

Brendan Frasier as Tarzan sounds pretty cool. I liked him as George of the Jungle, so I'll probably like him as Tarzan.

Disney’s Chicken Little follows the original concept of Chicken being a girl (voiced by Holly Hunter) with an overactive imagination who still has both of her parents - named Chloe and Chuck -, who sends herself to a Summer Camp where she ends up teaming up with her newfound friends - among them including a male version of Abby Mallard “the Ugly Duckling” (voiced by Sean Hayes) - to save the camp from a gang of wolves impersonating the sheep staff who plan on fattening up the campers so that they can eat them all in a big feast afterwards. Zach Braff, Joan Cusack, Dan Molina, and Steve Zahn still have voice roles in the movie, albeit as different characters, while Garry Marshall, Amy Sedaris, Mark Walton, and Don Knotts all keep their OTL voice roles. The deleted scene where Mayor Turkey Lurkey gives Buck a pep-talk also makes it into the final movie, albeit slightly different due to the film being very different from its OTL counterpart. The film is released in July instead of November 2005.

I liked that Turkey Lurkey prep talk scene that was deleted from the OTL film, so I'd be nice here. It would give Don Knotts one last hurrah before he passes away.

Sexual predators in the entertainment industry are exposed much earlier than IOTL. Gary Glitter is caught in 1997 as per OTL, but with Max Clifford, Rolf Harris, and - the most shocking of all to the entertainment world - Jimmy Savile all also being exposed soon afterwards the next year in 1998, killing off all of their careers by the end of 2000 and beginning the MeToo movement in Britain earlier, with Ian Watkins of LostProphets being arrested four years earlier in 2008. Similarly, Harvey Weinstein is finally exposed in 1999, which begins the MeToo movement in America earlier too, which sees Bryan Singer, Kevin Spacey, David Geffen, and Bill Cosby all exposed during the 2000s. Many online creeps, such as Dahvie Vanity, Onision, and EDP445, are all also finally arrested for their activities in 2016, 2020, and 2021 respectively.
Do Max Clifford, Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile get exposed as pedophiles on their own or did Gary Glitter rat them out like in your old scenario.

No You'll Be in my Heart? That's a shame.

If Rosie O'Donnell isn't voicing Terk, than who is?

Brendan Frasier as Tarzan sounds pretty cool. I liked him as George of the Jungle, so I'll probably like him as Tarzan.
I’ll admit that I got this interpretation from another user on this site, so I may have gotten rid of some good music unintentionally. Rosie O’Donnell is replaced by a different female voice actor. Judith Barsi perhaps? And I like Brendan Fraser, so it was just natural to put him in here.

I liked that Turkey Lurkey prep talk scene that was deleted from the OTL film, so I'd be nice here. It would give Don Knotts one last hurrah before he passes away.
Yeah I agree with you.

Do Max Clifford, Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile get exposed as pedophiles on their own or did Gary Glitter rat them out like in your old scenario.
The latter.

Chicken Little is the one movie where the deleted scenes were the ones that should've stayed!

It could've been a decent family movie with some weird fantastical elements.
Yeah I agree.

Yeah I agree.

But in all serious, Chicken Little's failure was so great as to spark Disney's comeback in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

So if Chicken Little becomes a relative success, it could mean Disney makes more Dreamworks-style movies, potentially butterflying Bolt and Tangled, two movies I genuinely enjoy...so...

You take some and you leave some, I guess.

Here's a utopian take on Cartoon Network.

In 2012, Warner Home Video relaunches the Cartoon Network Home Video line as a series of DVDs not unlike the Hanna-Barbera Classics Collection.

August 2012: The Powerpuff Girls: The Complete Series (reprint)
October 2012: Time Squad: The Complete Series
December 2012: Codename: Kids Next Door: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
February 2013: Johnny Bravo: The Complete Series (first release to be dual-branded with Adult Swim)
April 2013: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: The Complete Series
June 2013: Ed, Edd, n Eddy: The Complete Series
August 2013: Mike, Lu, and Og: The Complete Series
October 2013: The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release; includes the Grim segments on Grim and Evil)
December 2013: My Gym Partner's A Monkey: The Complete Series
February 2014: Dexter's Laboratory: The Complete Series
April 2014: Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
June 2014: Space Ghost Coast to Coast: The Complete Series (dual-branded with Adult Swim)
August 2014: Cow and Chicken: The Complete Series
October 2014: Courage the Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series
December 2014: Sheep in the Big City: The Complete Series
February 2015: What A Cartoon!: The Complete Series (20th Anniversary Release; also includes The Cartoon Cartoon Show, Sunday Pants, The Cartoonstitute, and Wedgies)
April 2015: I Am Weasel: The Complete Series
June 2015: Camp Lazlo: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
August 2015: The Life and Times of Juniper Lee: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
October 2015: Evil Con Carne: The Complete Series (includes the Evil segments on Grim and Evil)
December 2015: Whatever Happened to...Robot Jones?: The Complete Series
February 2016: Squirrel Boy: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
April 2016: Chowder: The Complete Series
June 2016: Transformers: Animated: The Complete Series (dual-branded with Hasbro)
August 2016: Class of 3000: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
October 2016: Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release; 2019 reprint now dual-branded with Adult Swim)
December 2016: The Moxy Show: The Complete Series
February 2017: Ben 10 (2005): The Complete Series
April 2017: Grim and Evil: The Complete Series (repackaged discs of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Evil Con Carne)
June 2017: Samurai Jack: Season 5 (dual-branded with Adult Swim; rendered obsolete with the 2019 reprint)
August 2017: Ben 10: Alien Force: The Complete Series
October 2017: The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: The Complete Series
December 2017: Sunday Pants: The Complete Series (reprinted from What A Cartoon!, also contains shorts from The Cartoonstitute, Wedgies, and other pre-2010 pilots)

And after five years, they'd have exhausted all the classics, including those that people debate how classic they are. The existence of Checkered Past has resulted in more rebranded dual-brands in recent years.

But in all serious, Chicken Little's failure was so great as to spark Disney's comeback in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

So if Chicken Little becomes a relative success, it could mean Disney makes more Dreamworks-style movies, potentially butterflying Bolt and Tangled, two movies I genuinely enjoy...so...

You take some and you leave some, I guess.
Cl did was a success, first Disney movie to debut #1 in box office and double his budget, just because the internet echo chamber said it was a failure it wasn't.

Cl did was a success, first Disney movie to debut #1 in box office and double his budget, just because the internet echo chamber said it was a failure it wasn't.
Failure with the critics, yeah, but Chicken Little did fine at the box office.

In the mouths of animation fans, it did leave a lot to be desired, and Disney tried to move away from it.

Plus Buck Cluck became the most despised Disney character since Claude Frollo. Not necessarily evil, but a ton of people cursed his very name as being the equivalent of Satan himself.

In the mouths of animation fans, it did leave a lot to be desired, and Disney tried to move away from it.

Plus Buck Cluck became the most despised Disney character since Claude Frollo. Not necessarily evil, but a ton of people cursed his very name as being the equivalent of Satan himself.
Weird, I though Frollo was often regarded as one of the best Disney villains.

Here's a utopian take on Cartoon Network.

In 2012, Warner Home Video relaunches the Cartoon Network Home Video line as a series of DVDs not unlike the Hanna-Barbera Classics Collection.

August 2012: The Powerpuff Girls: The Complete Series (reprint)
October 2012: Time Squad: The Complete Series
December 2012: Codename: Kids Next Door: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
February 2013: Johnny Bravo: The Complete Series (first release to be dual-branded with Adult Swim)
April 2013: Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends: The Complete Series
June 2013: Ed, Edd, n Eddy: The Complete Series
August 2013: Mike, Lu, and Og: The Complete Series
October 2013: The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release; includes the Grim segments on Grim and Evil)
December 2013: My Gym Partner's A Monkey: The Complete Series
February 2014: Dexter's Laboratory: The Complete Series
April 2014: Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
June 2014: Space Ghost Coast to Coast: The Complete Series (dual-branded with Adult Swim)
August 2014: Cow and Chicken: The Complete Series
October 2014: Courage the Cowardly Dog: The Complete Series
December 2014: Sheep in the Big City: The Complete Series
February 2015: What A Cartoon!: The Complete Series (20th Anniversary Release; also includes The Cartoon Cartoon Show, Sunday Pants, The Cartoonstitute, and Wedgies)
April 2015: I Am Weasel: The Complete Series
June 2015: Camp Lazlo: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
August 2015: The Life and Times of Juniper Lee: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
October 2015: Evil Con Carne: The Complete Series (includes the Evil segments on Grim and Evil)
December 2015: Whatever Happened to...Robot Jones?: The Complete Series
February 2016: Squirrel Boy: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
April 2016: Chowder: The Complete Series
June 2016: Transformers: Animated: The Complete Series (dual-branded with Hasbro)
August 2016: Class of 3000: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release)
October 2016: Samurai Jack: The Complete Series (10th Anniversary Release; 2019 reprint now dual-branded with Adult Swim)
December 2016: The Moxy Show: The Complete Series
February 2017: Ben 10 (2005): The Complete Series
April 2017: Grim and Evil: The Complete Series (repackaged discs of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and Evil Con Carne)
June 2017: Samurai Jack: Season 5 (dual-branded with Adult Swim; rendered obsolete with the 2019 reprint)
August 2017: Ben 10: Alien Force: The Complete Series
October 2017: The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: The Complete Series
December 2017: Sunday Pants: The Complete Series (reprinted from What A Cartoon!, also contains shorts from The Cartoonstitute, Wedgies, and other pre-2010 pilots)

And after five years, they'd have exhausted all the classics, including those that people debate how classic they are. The existence of Checkered Past has resulted in more rebranded dual-brands in recent years.
I can understand Space Ghost: Coat to Coast and Samurai Jack being dual-branded with Adult Swim since they aired on there as well, but why is Johnny Bravo dual-branded?

Weird, I though Frollo was often regarded as one of the best Disney villains.

Frollo is considered the best in a "love to hate" kind of way, because he represents an epic and terrifying evil that exists in real life: religion and authority getting into someone's head.

Buck isn't a cool villain: he's just considered to be a mean-spirited jackass to Chicken Little, which is depressing since the deleted scenes also making him to a genuinely loving, if exasperated, father.

Frollo is considered the best in a "love to hate" kind of way, because he represents an epic and terrifying evil that exists in real life: religion and authority getting into someone's head.

Buck isn't a cool villain: he's just considered to be a mean-spirited jackass to Chicken Little, which is depressing since the deleted scenes also making him to a genuinely loving, if exasperated, father.
Yeah, that makes sense with Frollo.

I wouldn't call Buck Cluck a villain. A jerk, sure, but he ain't evil. I did see the deleted scenes of him being a nicer father.