America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

1992: An Interview- 20 Years After Watergate

Few incidents linger in the hearts and minds of Americans as the infamous Watergate scandal. Starting from 1972 and concluding at 1974, it would lead to the resignation of President Nixon and dramatically shakeup the faith Americans had in their government. The scandal stemmed from the Nixon administration's continual attempts to cover up its involvement in the break-in of the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Washington, D.C. Watergate Office Building back in June of 1972. After the five perpetrators were arrested, the press and the U.S. Justice Department connected the cash found on them at the time to the Committee for the Re-Election of the President. [1] After various investigations and revelations, it would be revealed the Nixon administration's role in trying to cover up the affair and would lead to near-impeachment, only failing because of Nixon resigning beforehand, as they would have been enough votes to impeach him. The whole affair would have qute a profound effect on politics as many believed that the stigma in Ford stung enough for Reagan to squeeze out a victory in the Republican primaries in 1976. After defeating Jimmy Carter in the general election, he would become President and be remembered for for his bad domestic policies and mixed foreign policies, setting up the rise for further New Deal style politicians like Mo Udall and Reubin Askew.

It was now the summer of 1992, 20 years since that break-in and as some people were looking back with newstations reflecting on how much has changed, others went further and planned articles or essays on catching up with what happened. Others believed that this was further spurred on by the passing of former President Mo Udall and presented the need to further find and interview these individuals before they would be lost to time. And perhaps also more into why this all happened. Of course, this was all still rather on the small cale and no one was sure if they would get too far. After all, former President Nixon was still alive and there was still some sentiment of respect against him in that regards. Nonetheless, the interviews could still be gathered and prepared for release later down the line in a few years or so. As people were going around and trying to find some of these figures and hearing what they said. And some had alot to say. While many stood out for one reason or another, one in particular would lay the foundation for upcoming shockwaves and decisions, casting a long and dreadful shadow.

And that one was a man named John Daniel Ehrlichman.

Ehrlichman was the Counsel and Assistant to the President for Domestic Affairs back under Nixon. In fact, he was an important influence on Nixon's domestic policy, coaching him on issues and enlisting his support for environmental initiatives. However, he would also become infamous for another reason. He was a key figure in the events that led to the Watergate break-in and the ensuing Watergate scandal. He would ultimately be convicted of conspiracy, obstruction of justice, and perjury and served a year and a half in prison. [1] Over the past several years or so, he kept mostly his head down though he had alot to say on the subject matter.

During an interview with the journalist Dan Baum, various question came up in comparison to back then and now. And one of those questions would actually be on the War on Drugs. Having been escalated by Nixon, his approach on handling drugs, possession, distribution and so on had been discarded for more reconcilatory responses and treating as an illness rather than criminalizing it. When noting this, Ehrlichman would give a quote to Baum that would reshape the narrative, all with "the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect":
“You want to know what this was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.” [2]
In fact, when a shocked Baum asked on more on details and how it could be true, Ehrlichman noted to have paused before he merely pointed to the infamous Southern Strategy started by Goldwater and would be continued on in varying forms until 1988, where Anderson left the party as a result of its attempted reusage and the abysmal performance of the Dole/Bush ticket. The authenticity of the quote has remained debatable, especially since ultimately the article that the quote was considered wouldn't be published as is. That being said, it would remain among Baum's mind and before long, the quote would find its way across various papers, especially during the political season. Ehrilichman's name would remain anonymous on the subject matter though the words would remain and find their way across on the political spectrum.

Pundits and talk show hosts repeated this in various forms and flavors. The questions and comments would unleash further questions, debates and discussions with the word on the Southern Strategy coming back, the comparisons to how the aggressive stance on the War on Drugs has failed compared to treating it as an illness and of course on the matters of race and so on. Some of the other former staff members and people in there understandably refused to talk about that subject matter, wanting to put it behind them, a sentimentality that was respected. Though it was noted how Nixon himself would be unwilling to speak on the subject matter outside of noting his own hatred for drugs. This also spilled over some of the other unpleasant aspects that would be associated with Nixon and the like, including that Richard Nixon was anti-semetic, with rumors of certain comments spilling over. Perhaps unsurprisingly, African-Americans and American Jews, having long struggled with tense relations that were being smoothed overtime found even more common ground on this and even helped with the growing amicability.

All in the background of the general election.

While the Andrews/Specter ticket itself was not that affected (as they didn't have much of a known stance on this and would note that the evidence on what approach worked better spoke for itself), it served as a fresh coat of distrust, wariness and concern for the Republican Party. Even with it merely beinge hearsay and anecdotal evidence, the preexisting anger that existed was enough for people to take this and add fuel to the fire. After all, many still recalled the lean times from the Reagan era along with the frustration from 12 years of the GOP White House and the change from Eisenhower-inspired conservatism to a new shift in kind, one that became a dead end for the party and one that may have never truly recovered from. People do not like being lied to and the revelations that the people were lied to as a result of political chicanery? Not something to be liked.

Beyond that, the Unizens used it to further promote themselves as a more trustworthy path than the GOP and the Dems did the same though with a step further. Namely in reinvestigating the actual hazard of some of these drugs and further reforms to help people affected by this.

The return of a casting long shadow and that even 20 years later, they were haunted by the ghost of 1960s neoconservatism and its trappings. Some of the younger politicians even expressed concern if the Republican Party could ever shed that image. And even if it did, how could they move forward from it?

An answer to that question would come over in an RNC special guest to speak, the author of the The Conservative Mind: From Burke to Eliot, Russel Kirk.

----------------------------------------

[1]- Information and phrasing coming from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal
[2]- Information and phrasing coming from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehrlichman
Yup, looking back and sowing the seeds for what is to come
Nice.

Autumn 1992- Cracks in the Catholic
Autumn 1992- Cracks in the Catholic

481px-Iniki_1992-09-11_2331.png

Hurricane Iniki

The 1992 US elections were now abuzz. The Republican Party has now seemed to climb back up over from the deep troublesome period they were in. The Liberal Republicans have reasserted themselves and seemed to have gotten themselves organized. However, Watergate had now return to the talk, albeit now under the revelation on what the War on Drugs brough forth by Nixon had yielded and what seemed to be the actual intentions. People did not like being lied to and the questions on the viabiltiy of the GOP now returned. The Unizens meanwhile pounced on this opportunity. They were coalescing and growing their voter base, exploiting the distrust fom the GOP along with being the new option for people to choose over being Democrats. The Democrats for the most part had been focusing more the stabiltiy and prosperity that President Askew had brought, but even they were having cracks form in them. The old guard was preparing to retire and leave, having stuck around to help Askew or prepare the foundation for a pair of projects Askew had been preparing for a long while, one that would his current trend of legislation implemented to restrict the flow and influence of money on politics on multiple levels. The new blood was rising and while some wished to scale back a bit, others wshed to go further. But these divisions have not turned ugly unlike within the GOP.

However, a new controversy would be shined upon, serving as a new surge of energy for reformers, protestors and radicals. Irish musician Sinéad O'Connor would perform a song protesting and accusing the the Catholic Church, to where she even rips up a photo of Pope John Paul II on the US TV programme Saturday Night Live. [1] The controversy came not just from the bold act, but from the news developemnt on the accusations. Starting from the Mount Cashel scandal in Canada back in 1989, it began growing and more were looking deeper into the Church. Unsurprisingly, this did illict in angry reactions from several "religious reactionaries", but that would lead to another discussion, one that had begun growing and signaled a resurgence of activity for third wave feminists: child brides. While initially of not much importance (if mainly due to being unaware of the phenomena), the trickles of information when people found out were enough for shock to grow, especially in the volatile atmosphere here. With it being election season, the issue would be brought up in debates, with many asserting positions to outlaw the practice within states and on the federal level, legislation was being created to address marital age concerns. There was also the surprise of some trying to defend the practice or downplay the effects, part of a trend of a minor but radical set of people who have become increasingly agitated by the state of things.

Other mattes were coming and changing. Despite the spotlight growing increasingly uncomfortable on the Vatican, Mexico would establish diplomatic relations with Vatican City, ending a break that lasted over 130 years. While the War on Drugs is still focused on helping the addicts and those affected, those involve in the trade still are being targeted as law enforcement officials in the United States, Colombia, and Italy announce that they have arrested more than 160 people on money laundering charges related to cocaine trafficking. The government of Mozambique signs a truce with leaders of RENAMO, ending the 16-year-old Mozambican Civil War. [1] Over in China, the Communist Party of China would go and promote several market-oriented reformers to the Politburo Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China, showing the power of the reforms. In fact, they would also begin promote some political reforms, such as elections on the local level in China, such as with mayors, which would also help check on the populations' sentiments of the party and nation. The Armenian-Azerbaijani War has worsened as Azerbaijan under Abulfaz Elchibey has turned away from Iran, especially when Iran began sending aid to Armenia, albeit in the form of food, medical attention and electricity as a response to the Turks trying to isolate Armenia. Both the US and SUSR were now pushing further for peace between the sides though the SUSR had let the US focus here since the SUSR would also be having to focus on peace with Kartvelia's conflicts wth South Ossetia and Abkhazia though Iran has also begun sending talks there to with Iran. Some positive news would be on the Church of England votes to allow women to become priests while there were protests in Germany due to the neo-Nazi attacks over on refugees and immigrants. A coup attempt in Venezuela is thwarted as the nation wrestles with their reliance on oil though have been managing to gradually rebuild and stabilize themselves, especially as they have now been forced to invest in other venues such as tourism and even the rise in computer technology.

-------------------------------------

[1]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992

Nice update, decided to do a re-read of the fic/tl and I will say this as my main critique of this story that you are being very optimistic about how America would evolve on social issues in this POD especially on LGBT issues that I feel is borderline ASB. Don't get me wrong I can see a successful democratic president sowing the seeds of a more socially progressive America but in the moment I highly doubt it. Udall because under him with the help of Volcker getting the economy back on track could be lent some goodwill from middle america on social issues pertaining to lgbt rights but more like he can get away with helping them with HIV. There's zero chance even in this timeline that a Vice President goes to a LGBT conference at this time and it's not political suicide. The feminism stuff is easier for me to see happening although I highly doubt a me too like movement happening because I don't think the infrastructure is there for that. I think this kind of rapid social progress happens more towards the late 90s -early 2000s which is a bit earlier than in real time

Last edited:
Nice update, decided to do a re-read of the fic/tl and I will say this as my main critique of this story that you are being very optimistic about how America would evolve on social issues in this POD especially on LGBT issues that I feel is borderline ASB. Don't get me wrong I can see a successful democratic president sowing the seeds of a more socially progressive America but in the moment I highly doubt it. Udall because under him with the help of Volcker getting the economy back on track could be lent some goodwill from middle america on social issues pertaining to lgbt rights but more like he can get away with helping them with HIV. There's zero chance even in this timeline that a Vice President goes to a LGBT conference at this time and it's not political suicide. The feminism stuff is easier for me to see happening although I highly doubt a me too like movement happening because I don't think the infrastructure is there for that. I think this kind of rapid social progress happens more towards the late 90s -early 2000s which is a bit earlier than in real time
Based on what, exactly? OTL was where LGBT social issues were passively being messed with as a result of the so-called "Moral Majority" that Reagan was the herald for along with the backing of big buisness, evangelicalism and the like. And people accepted that because they associated it with success and prosperity brought by Reagan. Same also with Bush Jr and even Clinton who played a part in slowing the rate of acceptance. People were influenced by politicians and created that sort of cycle of thinking as they got older and so on, especially for the time period.

Not ITTL. Here, that sort of mentality would become associated with the economic troubles of the late 1970s and thus the pendulum would swing over to the left with Udall. Additionally, with the rise of third wave feminism, which would have LGTBQ/SATMIN rights as one of their main pillars, they would push for it And as we saw Udall with his meeting with the Solidarity thing back in 1981, coming together and working together works. Heck, once the reforms come in, unions realizing they will need to find more ways to maintain relevancy and it's one of em here. And the big success was laws that protects them from discrimination and so on.

Like, we don't have same-sex marriage yet or civil unions. So far it's mainly legislation that protects SATMIN folk against discrimination and so on by the mid-1980s. I don't think that's ASB.

Most of what is coming culturally is because outreach groups and organizations working together and not going against the grain and also Hollywood in a way lending a hand once they realize they could make money for this with film and television, hence where we get queersploitation here. And more and more factors will be tying in over time that changes things. People are becoming more used to them, accepting and understanding, especially as the Liberal Republicans take hold of the GOP and with the major political parties in agreement, shift the view over to the mainstream.

As for a VP going to a conference, it's pretty much a "Nixon going to China" sort of moment, particularly because of the very squeaky-clean and pristine image Askew would have and would further lend legitimacy. Hell, it reminds me of how Reagan helped with the Log Cabin Republicans back in 1977 OTL defeat the Briggs Intiative and I picture something similar would happen here. Reagan in 1977.

The fact is that this timeline is changing more and more from OTL so you can't keep relying on it as a baseline, especially because the point is to show how different it would be. And that is one of the points of the timeline, to show how different things could really be and how much of an impact the circumstances that we underwent in OTL, especially in that certain time period and why it was so important and influential, even to this day,

Last edited:
Based on what, exactly? OTL was where LGBT social issues were passively being messed with as a result of the so-called "Moral Majority" that Reagan was the herald for along with the backing of big buisness, evangelicalism and the like. And people accepted that because they associated it with success and prosperity brought by Reagan. Same also with Bush Jr and even Clinton who played a part in slowing the rate of acceptance. People were influenced by politicians and created that sort of cycle of thinking as they got older and so on, especially for the time period.
LGBT social issues were never done or considered in the 80s because the country for the most part was at the least apathetic to the plight of LGBT folk. Reagan got away with ignoring HIV because the country was more than willing to ignore it too. Like Reagan’s press secretary was making jokes about it when it first began and nobody cared. People saw it as a gay disease that wasnt’t their problem that isn't changing with a failed Reagan 76 scenario.
Not ITTL. Here, that sort of mentality would become associated with the economic troubles of the late 1970s and thus the pendulum would swing over to the left with Udall
Sure the average voter will be willing to give a classic new-dealer a chance to fix the ship after a disastrous Reagan presidency and the dem fixing the economy will lure the average voter back to new deal economics that they were shifting away from in the 70s. However it's much easier to sway people on economics than social issues.
in terms of economics the voting base just cares if the economy is doing well with social issues it’s a lot more complicated and deeper than that.
Even at the height of new deal liberalism in 1936 a civil rights bill was never in consideration because a majority of the country didn't support it or care enough about it to do it. When it comes to social issues politicians usually play it safe and go by poll numbers. There's 0% chance that a majority of the country is going to be on board with civil rights legislation of LGBT folk in the 80s. The dems aren't going to risk the working class voters they have won back for a small group of people. Now certainly efforts to research HIV won't hurt them but I highly doubt they’d put too much focus into it.

LGBT social issues were never done or considered in the 80s because the country for the most part was at the least apathetic to the plight of LGBT folk. Reagan got away with ignoring HIV because the country was more than willing to ignore it too. Like Reagan’s press secretary was making jokes about it when it first began and nobody cared. People saw it as a gay disease that wasnt’t their problem that isn't changing with a failed Reagan 76 scenario.

Sure the average voter will be willing to give a classic new-dealer a chance to fix the ship after a disastrous Reagan presidency and the dem fixing the economy will lure the average voter back to new deal economics that they were shifting away from in the 70s. However it's much easier to sway people on economics than social issues.
in terms of economics the voting base just cares if the economy is doing well with social issues it’s a lot more complicated and deeper than that.
Even at the height of new deal liberalism in 1936 a civil rights bill was never in consideration because a majority of the country didn't support it or care enough about it to do it. When it comes to social issues politicians usually play it safe and go by poll numbers. There's 0% chance that a majority of the country is going to be on board with civil rights legislation of LGBT folk in the 80s. The dems aren't going to risk the working class voters they have won back for a small group of people. Now certainly efforts to research HIV won't hurt them but I highly doubt they’d put too much focus into it.
Problem is, why were people apathetic to it?

Rulers are not just symbols of how their people are feeling, but also propagating it. After all, why did people think it was a "gay disease"? And you don't think a politician who would institute a universal healthcare system and so on would want to address HIV/AIDS?

OTL Reagan doing nothing was likely a large influence for the apathy until it became hard to ignore.

Leaders can and often inspire people and serve as an example to follow. As such, if the President and VP would take it seriously, then why would the public not take it seriously? Hell, if the President and VP addressed it as this serious concern to the sanctity and safety of Americans, the media would repeat that and reinforce it, especially as Udall and Askew would grow in popularity.

Except that with third wave feminism, the subject is being addressed and brought up, especially with marches and the like raising awareness for it. The fact is that most people weren't aware or knew much about SATMIN+ folk of the time, but if they see a leader that they highly respect and admire pay issues on it, then they will certainly go and do so, especially with a rising group of people and supprters, including in the political circle, beginning to back them up.

I don't think the Dems would be at risk at losing the "working class" voters over to the GOP, especially given how the GOP is at their absolute lowest at this point. A GOP who is viewed with distrust and wariness for having controlled the White House for 12 years. A GOP who would be led by a crooked politician who nearly got impeached and his successor being this Hollywood actor who promised alot with his "moral majority" rhetoric only to fail because of his economic policies and be painted as this uncaring individual. Especially when the Liberal Republicans will now be working on all cylinders to reclaim control of the party and having their own figures that do show support over for SATMIN+ people and would start ascending into power at the time.

Yeah, I think the Dems could afford over to listen to the growing number of activists and protestors calling for protections against discrimination in the 1980s. The reacionary backlash of the 1970s would collapse with Reagan's loss and being discredited, would swing fowrd to the continued developments going on in the 1960s. Hell, if OTL Reagan could oppose the Briggs Initiative, I don't think it'd be too much of a stretch for that sort of movement and so on to grow, especially in these circumstances.

I mean, look at it here: https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/lgbtq-history-month-early-days-america-s-aids-crisis-n919701

There was already events happening it and the march wouldn't be halted here, but instead just sped up now with growing support.

Last edited:
why were people apathetic to it?
After all, why did people think it was a "gay disease"?
Because they believed that being gay was a sin and HIV was the way for God to punish them for their sinful ways
Rulers are not just symbols of how their people are feeling, but also propagating it
Leaders can and often inspire people and serve as an example to follow. As such, if the President and VP would take it seriously, then why would the public not take it seriously? Hell, if the President and VP addressed it as this serious concern to the sanctity and safety of Americans, the media would repeat that and reinforce it, especially as Udall and Askew would grow in popularity.
Harry Truman spoke out for civil rights and the country didn't just flip flop to support it. Hell the ERA was something that took decades to manifest into a serious proposition. It took a long ass time for labor unions and democrats to embrace it somewhat.
Except that with third wave feminism, the subject is being addressed and brought up, especially with marches and the like raising awareness for it
sure but that doesn't mean that middle America is going to jump on board.
I don't think the Dems would be at risk at losing the "working class" voters over to the GOP, especially given how the GOP is at their absolute lowest at this point. A GOP who is viewed with distrust and wariness for having controlled the White House for 12 years. A GOP who would be led by a crooked politician who nearly got impeached and his successor being this Hollywood actor who promised alot with his "moral majority" rhetoric only to fail because of his economic policies and be painted as this uncaring individual.
social conservatism in general and certainly when it pertains to LGBT rights was not exclusive to the GOP in the late 70s and early 80s.
Reagan didn't trick a majority of America into hating or being apathetic to LGBT folk they already were. I just don't see public opinion on LGBT folk changing enough that a civil rights bill for them is a politically viable thing in the 80s. I think ur putting too much weight into how much Reagan turned America socially conservative and how much a failed presidency of his would shift the opinion of LGBT people. The dems aren't going to risk rocking the boat over such a small part of the population at that time. That doesn't mean that HIV/AIDS initiatives won't happen because they will. I just think ur being very optimistic about how much things like me too and LGBT rights would resonate with the American people at that time

Because they believed that being gay was a sin and HIV was the way for God to punish them for their sinful ways

Harry Truman spoke out for civil rights and the country didn't just flip flop to support it. Hell the ERA was something that took decades to manifest into a serious proposition. It took a long ass time for labor unions and democrats to embrace it somewhat.

sure but that doesn't mean that middle America is going to jump on board.

social conservatism in general and certainly when it pertains to LGBT rights was not exclusive to the GOP in the late 70s and early 80s.
Reagan didn't trick a majority of America into hating or being apathetic to LGBT folk they already were. I just don't see public opinion on LGBT folk changing enough that a civil rights bill for them is a politically viable thing in the 80s. I think ur putting too much weight into how much Reagan turned America socially conservative and how much a failed presidency of his would shift the opinion of LGBT people. The dems aren't going to risk rocking the boat over such a small part of the population at that time. That doesn't mean that HIV/AIDS initiatives won't happen because they will. I just think ur being very optimistic about how much things like me too and LGBT rights would resonate with the American people at that time
And who told them that exactly? Didn't exactly come from nowhere. The folks who did push that narrative... well, they got disgredited by their affiliation with Reagan back the late 1970s as noted below.

You seem to have difficulty understanding that the "middle America" of this 1980s is becoming very different than of OTL. Heck, it began changing in the late 1970s as the folk backing and support Reagan were now discredited, topping off the sandwich consisting of a dozen dismal years of conservative rulership in the White House and pretty much cushing most resistance to the reforms already undergoing as I noted above in the link I posted.

And, public opinion was changing enough for stuff to start being implemented regarding public employment in the 1970s after the Stonewall Riots and likely now be further accelerating thanks to third-wave feminism charging up the momentum. And honestly, I think you seem to be underestimating how much influence Reagan had regarding America and its policies. Modern day "conservatism" of the 2010s/2020s is based and warped from thw 1980s, which was itself a nostalgic distillation of the norms of the 1950s. And that 1980s conservative sentimentality was championed and pushed by him.

Meanwhile, the Dems have already gone pretty far with things like universal health care, having given people money to stimulate the economy to help the economy so on. Why wouldn't people be on board and give what Udall is doing there a change. It's also because of the era and the times.

And given how a growing number of people were growing concerned and so on for what was happening OTL, having some open support could easily accelerate the progress. That and well, I don't see it really being opposed. And well, this proto-MeToo is just a conituation of the push for the Equal Rights Amendment. And it's a new time of growing chance and so on.

1992 US Elections
1992 US Elections

For the first time in a dozen years, the Republican Party stands a notable chance at reclaiming the White House. Having moderated their stances significantly on many issues such as SATMIN rights, abortion access, healthcare and other issues, the Liberal Republican Wing stood at the dominant force of the party with a few other branches giving support. Additionally, a Democrat has been in the White House for 12 years now so they had voter fatigue over on their side as a possibility to aid them. Despite this, it was still a long shot. President Askew still enjoyed favorable numbers and it was still the incumbent after all. Additionally, outside of continuing what his predecessor had set down regarding the planning and construction of various infrastructue, including nuclear power plants and other achievements such as restoring a banking service over to the US Postal Service, he was surprisingly more laidback than Udall. However, many attributed this to long-term plans that he was finalizing and likely implenting should he win in the next term. According to his aides, it was major political reforms, topping what had been done in the past several years, including expanding the House of Representatives and ending gerrymandering. Some of the Republicans did know what it was, but didn't really speak on it out of courtesy.

And then there was the United Citizens Party.

The Unizens have been gradually growing over time, focusing on local and regional elections, usually by influencing former GOP voters too left for the Republicans or not trusting their changes, but also aiming for the Democrat voters who want something new. They have even been looking over for some younger candidates to potentially run down the line. While they were the underdog, the success that Anderson had when he would beat the GOP despite being an independent candidate did provide some level of hope for a sign of their success. The goat was trying to fight the donkey and the elephant.

The debates and questioning were respectable and forward. Perot would gain footing over with his talks on the economy, opting for tax cuts on small and medium businesses and amendments to balance the budget. He thanked for the chance to speak with the others and prove their say along with hoping to expand with new ideas. He also advocated for stronger borders, noting to protect both nations and restrict the illegal drug trade along with maintaining the competitive edge of the US economy, especially among the foreign competition.He would even propose the idea of a value-added tax and some other financial ideas. Askew for the most part relied more on the classic technique of continuing on with what they have been doing before along with the hope of bigger plans that were in the preparation, noting it would be something that everyone would enjoy and support. However, while Mark Andrews would promote the ideals of a new tomorrow and prosperity, some would notice that there was not much in regards to some actual policy, at least enough to differentiate it.

While there was a comfort in a return to "buisness as usual" ideal, there was a question of what this "buisness as usual" actually was, especially nowadays in a world without the Cold War and for various nations to be undergoing their own transformations, conflicts or revolutions. Each of the party's weaknesses were shown here. The Democrats' are losing their momentum with the loss of the Old Guard (though this could be more the global events overshadowing it along with other issues), the Unizens are a young party who is still trying to formulate their ideology though they have spun this to their advantage, and the Republicans seem to lack a sort of ideology to begin with or rather a lack of direction on what to stand for. The pieces were there, but it seemed like they were not able to put it together.

Eventually, Election Day arrived. The Unizens expanded their holdings in the House and even got a couple of Senate seats along with other accomplishments. They plan also to go and expand into going for governor soon. Additionally, the recent report regarding the purpose of the Drug War and Nixon would lead to some of the GOP voters to go and swing more for the Unizens or not vote. While this did damage the results of the Republican Party, it was still a net gain for them once more in gaining some seats and progress. Ultimately however, it would be the Democrats who would win the most, as Askew and Chisholm would win reelection. While it was a modest victory given it was a bit close, it was still a victory.

The election would have major rammifications for each party: The Unizens would further cement their hold as a legitimate third party and begin talking more with politcians from both sides or affiliated with them to grow, now being viewed seriously. The Democrats savored their victory, but realizing it could likely be the last one along with the growing disagreements between the factions, would plan for some even greater changes, even planning going from beyond the party. But it would be the Republicans who would gain the most. While not gaining much of a victory and indeed, they would seem even more lost because of the Nixon hauntings, others saw something valuable. Gaining a realization that they would need to change even more and the realization that they needed to take what they have gained and formulate into a vision of the voter. A brand new vision, even if it had to be free from the past. And they would not need to go far as they would be given the groundwork by one of the old guard, that of the writer, Russel Kirk.

Having influenced American conservatism, he was invited as a special speaker and perhaps to help give some hope and restoration to conservatives along with a vision of going forward. Kirk saw it as a chance to help the party go away from the trappings of the failures, especially after becoming even more disillusioned with neoconservatism. However, rather than spouting paleoconservatvive points, Kirk would go and reinforce his classical conservatism beliefs, introducing them to a younger generation, noting that he hopes to inspire them: faith & natural law, traditions & customs, hierarhy and natural unity. He would even go further and tout the romantic ideals of agarianism, of classical and high culture and patriotism, even noting the differences between it and nationalism or even jingoism. He noted how the next generation would need to take these ideals and carrying them onto into a new modern world. Indeed, various leaders and their own thoughts would come to influence this new growing bubble.

While many people knew it, the 1992 US election and the victory of President Askew and Vice President Chisholm would be a turning point as all three parties planned their futures, especially as President Askew would finish and prepare a proposal for what is to come...

While many people knew it, the 1992 US election and the victory of President Askew and Vice President Chisholm would be a turning point as all three parties planned their futures, especially as President Askew would finish and prepare a proposal for what is to come...
Oooh looks like we're gonna have some seriously progressive legislation go through in 1993. Perhaps universal healthcare, universal basic income, and/or universal housing?

Oooh looks like we're gonna have some seriously progressive legislation go through in 1993. Perhaps universal healthcare, universal basic income, and/or universal housing?
We've had Universal Healthcare here ince the mid 1980s. Basic income probably not though its popularity is returning since Udall's stimulus packages in giving people money helped the nation out of the economic woes they were in. Not sure on universal housing though public housing has also been catching steam, if thanks a bit to the return of the popularity of multiplexes

there's already universal healthcare ITTL
We've had Universal Healthcare here ince the mid 1980s. Basic income probably not though its popularity is returning since Udall's stimulus packages in giving people money helped the nation out of the economic woes they were in. Not sure on universal housing though public housing has also been catching steam, if thanks a bit to the return of the popularity of multiplexes
Oh okay, somehow I forgot about that one lol.
Well whatever it is I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

1992 Overview
1992 Overview

1992 was yet another busy and eventful year. President Askew would win reelection and he and Vice President Chisholm pressed forward with their plans. Chisholm became more assertive with civil rights and other topics important to African-American peoples, especially with the revelations regarding a reason for Nixon's War on Drugs. In the meanwhile, the United Citizens Party continued to grow and stabilize themselves as the third major party. Their ambitions have been growing, especially wth the hopes of also chipping away at some of the "Blue Dogs" or others not as progressive in the neoliberal party. The Republicans meanwhile proved that while there was some hope yet for the conservatives, it may require more sacrifice or a different form of change, but the new leaders and faces would be enough to help. Perhaps nothing more signaled this end of an era than the tragic passing of President Morris King Udall. Having enjoyed favorabiltiy ratings as high as FDR, his reforms and boosts to the health and prosperity to America and her people along with his charismatic personality would become emblematic of the modern American president, matched by what his successor would be doing. With it being the end of the Cold War, it seemed like peaceful times would be ahead, at least for those at home. However, smalls signs were showing that a small group of people were not happy with the changes and serve as a reminder of some of the negative aspects of the US. Even with that in mind, there are plenty of positive things that Americans were taking comfort in. At the same time, the Cold War's ending would finally begin settling down in people's minds... bringing forth a sense of optimism yet also uncertainty about the future. What were they to do now, and where to go from here?

Meanwhile, outside the US, more nations were undergoing transfomations of their own. Europe would begin its grandest project with the establishment of the European Union, an economic and political union of sorts. NATO would be undergoing further debates on its future while Poland, Hungary and other nations would also be involved in these discussions along with their own potential project in conjunction. Meanwhile, the SUSR would continue its transition through its reforms, though delayed a bit by having to be more thorough and rooting out oligarchs, including those who tried escaping outside of them. This meant trying to cooperate with Ukraine, who was having a bit of political problems in trying to deal with their own oligarchs and so on. Not to mention also to bring peace back to the Caucasus though they were relieved that Iran would be now going in, preparing deals and so on for the various nations there and from what some diplomats heard, Iran was fully prepared to play hardball, having American backing and eager to flex their muscles. While the South Ossetia conflict was on ceasefire, the hopes were that a more permanant arrangement can be figured, while NATO has been sending some financial support over to maintain stability. Ethiopia meanwhile is seeing the transitional government cracking from the rise of the monarchist supporters and the in-fighting within the ruling coalition. The continued troubles of the Yugoslavic Wars have been bringing up concerns over how should matters be handled regarding Bosnia as well as the growing belligerence of Serbia under Milosevic. And back over in the Middle East, the Baathist would rise from their near-annihilation from the fall of Iraq and regroup and reformed in Qatar, likely signifying some new trouble over in the region.

Pop culture would keep on going with some surprising and delightful revelations. First off, the big hit of the season would be none other than Aladdin, Disney's animated film released this year. It focuses on the titular character, a poverty stricken young man trying to support his mother and being a diamond in the rough, especially after meeting Badri, the disguised headstrong and sharpwitted Princess, daughter of the Sultan. However, he is roped into trying to get a treasure from the Cave of Wonders by the vizier Jafar, a malicious sorcerer wishing for the power and uses Aladdin's concerns of his mom to go in. Aladdin would be saved by the Genie of the Lamp (voiced by Robin and after trying to woo Badri, would be found by Jafar. Aladdin is forced to trade the lamp to save his mother's life before with the help of his friends, including his pet hyrax and Badri's pet Arabian wolf to stop Jafar. The film would be applauded for its writing, characterization, music, and humor with Robin Williams as the Genie and Gilbert Gottfried as Jafar's familiar, a talking bird. Interesingly enough, there was also a fair bit of drama in its development, thanks with Katzenberg butting heads with the creative and forcing Eisner to get involved. Some are wondering whether Katzenberg would quit or if Eisner would fire him first in the next few years. Beyond that, Disney has announced a dub for Miyazaki's next film which came out this year, Porco Rosso. Focusing on air pirates set in post-WW1 Italy, it focused on the mysterious literal pig-headed pilot and a conflict during the time, made political with his famous line noting he'd "rather be a pig than a fascist". The dub will come out next year, with Porco Rosso planning to be voiced by Danny DeVito, who would become lauded for his portrayal of the Penguin in another breakout film in Batman Returns, also seeing Micheal Keaton returns as the Caped Crusader. What also got attention was an animated film being worked on was a Batman animated film. While originally conceived for DTV, the success of animated films like AKIRA presented the possibility of animated films for an older audience being successful if done right. While linked to the Batman: The Animated Series, the film wold be noted to be standalone, with it also getting a larger financial budget and more time to work on. Other stand out hits would be Basic Instinct, A Few Good Men, The Bodyguard, Bram Stroker's Dracula and even Wayne's World, which would further boost the popularity of the Queen song, "Bohemian Rhapsody". Another bit of news was that another one of Spike Lee's "joints" would be delayed once moe, this time that being his Malcolm X film, albeit due to some of the troubles of Hollywood at the time. He was able to secure the assistance needed for the release of the film though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_in_film