America's Funniest President: Mo Udall Presidency & Beyond

@ajm8888 That being said, Japan will still face trouble, namely the trouble that many post-industrail nations face: What comes after? I don't know much with Japan, but I never got a big impression from their service industry. Hmm, it's possible they may be able to overcome a few aspects. There's also whether or not they would have their population decline. Apparently, one reason for not having children was because of an embrace for higher education and later choosing economics as their reason. I am thinking that may happen less here without as much focus on yen signs and possibly Japan maybe doing something with child credit.

Also any thoughts on how ya'll would be growing up at this time or any particular questions?

I know @Sunflare2k5 answered back when I was asked in the 1980s, hence would wanna know here. I know that things like Lunchables and so on aren't gonna be a thing because of the plastic thing. Additionally, schools are getting better funding and I see that also going into school cafeterias too.

Not sure how many folk reading this would be alive or so on right now at the time.

Was born in '87', though was actually due in March of 1988. Hmmm.
Hmmm… by now you’d be in preschool which might be covered, unsure on that. Though a growing phenomenon would be like seeing a psychologist or whatnot as a kid. Not annually, but I imagine things like ASD and so on would become more identified early on, and becoming a growing trend over time. Would probably start in early 1990s from new parents being worried and utilizing all resources and going from there.

Also any thoughts on how ya'll would be growing up at this time or any particular questions?

I know @Sunflare2k5 answered back when I was asked in the 1980s, hence would wanna know here. I know that things like Lunchables and so on aren't gonna be a thing because of the plastic thing. Additionally, schools are getting better funding and I see that also going into school cafeterias too.

Not sure how many folk reading this would be alive or so on right now at the time.
While I know that cutting down on plastic use is better for the environment, I believe (from my experience) that that would make the problem of food deserts even worse.

For example, a lot of the dollar stores and gas stations selling food have them wrapped in plastic to make them more portable. And what isn't in plastic is in cans: either aluminum cans for drinks or steel cans for food. Rarely, fresh fruit is available -- but at a greatly inflated price; I'd seen bananas sold at 79¢ each at the gas station, when that same amount of money would buy a large bunch at a grocery store.

Carrying food from home isn't always practical. There may not be a safe place to store it alongside whatever else you need to be carrying that day. Keeping food at a safe temperature is vital, but would involve the use of more plastic and/or metal for a properly insulated (and expensive) container.

And schools getting better funding will certainly help with providing food for breakfast and lunch -- but what about after-school events, weekends, and summers? (Edit: I spent junior high and high school in a private school during the 80s, so don't know from personal experience how the public schools handled this.)

Last edited:

Well I was born over 20 years after the POD, so I probably wouldn't exist ITTL

Hmmm… by now you’d be in preschool which might be covered, unsure on that. Though a growing phenomenon would be like seeing a psychologist or whatnot as a kid. Not annually, but I imagine things like ASD and so on would become more identified early on, and becoming a growing trend over time. Would probably start in early 1990s from new parents being worried and utilizing all resources and going from there.
Oh? I was born three months premature, December 7 '87' in fact, and had ROP, which you can research, along with other issues. Had a twin, Arron, who was in even worse shape than me.

While I know that cutting down on plastic use is better for the environment, I believe (from my experience) that that would make the problem of food deserts even worse.

For example, a lot of the dollar stores and gas stations selling food have them wrapped in plastic to make them more portable. And what isn't in plastic is in cans: either aluminum cans for drinks or steel cans for food. Rarely, fresh fruit is available -- but at a greatly inflated price; I'd seen bananas sold at 79¢ each at the gas station, when that same amount of money would buy a large bunch at a grocery store.

Carrying food from home isn't always practical. There may not be a safe place to store it alongside whatever else you need to be carrying that day. Keeping food at a safe temperature is vital, but would involve the use of more plastic and/or metal for a properly insulated (and expensive) container.

And schools getting better funding will certainly help with providing food for breakfast and lunch -- but what about after-school events, weekends, and summers? (Edit: I spent junior high and high school in a private school during the 80s, so don't know from personal experience how the public schools handled this.)
Thank you for the commentary! I appreciate the insight and would want to hear more questions or things I may need to consider.

As for food deserts, this will actually become less of a problem over time due to a variety of factors.

Because of city planning and urban infrastructure shifting away from being car-based, this shifts thinks for it to be easier to walk and or take public transportation to get around where one needs to go. Additionally, urban farming becomes party of this shift and it will begin accelerating and picking up in the next several years and keep going from there. This will be a number of reasons will touch upon.

But yeah, food desrts will be alot less of a problem because of this change in urban planning along with various other easons which are coming up.

If a version of me lives in this alternate 90's, more will be done to help the completely blind, I'm sure.
Yup, you and your brother would be completely covered for medical expenses and there would already be growing groundworks for visuall impairness, though I imagine it will accelerate more as technology, especially computers, keep growing.

Mind you, by plastic, I am referring primarily to "disposable" plastic, especially which can't be easily recycled or so on.

Winter 1993- Dealing with Wacos
Winter 1993- Dealing with Wacos

David_koresh.jpg

David Koresh 1987 mugshot

As President Askew would begin his second term, there would be rising successes going on. One of the first acts President Askew would do in his second term would be signing the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty or START II alongside Gorbachev, who's process in reforming his nation continued on, having been delayed due to having to deal with remaining corruption and opportunists as well as some further refinements of how the system would actually be working. Other major developments of the time would include Belgium becoming a federal monarchy rather than a unitary one and further into Europe, "Velvet Divorce" which would see the end of Czechoslovakia as the Zech and Slovakians go their seperate ways, the European Economic Community eliminates trade barriers to go and create a European single market. [1] Meanwhile, upcoming political changes in China that would see the beginnings of elections and the like over in local levels of China, with the various minority parties having a chance to try and make their case known for the people of the various towns and cities. Though speaking of China, relations between them and the Americans have also been improving, especially with the need to help promote clean altenate fuel, with the Chinese preparing to further invest in nuclear infrastructure and other reneweals, much like what was going with India. In fact, the hopes that with discussions over the planned thorium research, that it would lead to the growing usage of thorium reactors across various parts of the world. Back in Ethiopia meanwhile, the coalition of the transitional government has seemingly teetered over into its permanent decline, namely with a certain death. That of Isaias Afwerki, the secretary-general of the Eritrean People's Liberation Front, having passed away from cerebral malaria, having passed away over in a coma. This would creack the EPLF and further damage the ruling coalition, especially because of the split support regarding the new monarchical movement.

One major issue over was with Yugoslavia, especially with the Bosnian War going on and potential plans. However, one success would be Askew and Gorbachev getting involved in the tensions that were bubbling between the Bosnians and the Bosnian Croats threatening their fragile alliance, they invited the heads over to Saint Petersburg to establish what would be the St. Petersburg Accords between them and creating the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was a long and arduous task, but it did not take long for the leaders to accept the condition needed to maintain it, especially with the remaining issues regarding the Serbs, though further discussions for potential peace could still be brought there. However, the tensions being resolved sooner between the Bosnian Croats and Bosnians would have an effect on the Serb leadership. Unsurprisingly, a UN tribunal would be estasblished to discuss such a tenseful situation though the hope was that by doing this sooner, less lives could be lost, especially with the mounting atrocities being committed with the concerns of "ethnic purging". Some have begun planning a rather unique idea over what to do in regards over to do with the Serbians in Bosnia-Hezegovina along with Serbia in it of itself. Beyond the planning, various nations opened the doors for the fleeing refugees to flee from the violence while the US and SUSR would also debate sending further support to the Croat-Bosnian alliance.

Of course, there was still some problems over at home too. One of which was the discovery of the Branch Davidian cult and the whole affair started with the arrest of David Koresh, the leader of the Branch Davidians. In early Febuary, the Waco Tribune-Herald began publishing "The Sinful Messiah", a series of articles by Mark England and Darlene McCormick, who reported allegations that Koresh had physically abused children in the compound and had committed statutory rape by taking multiple underage brides. [2] These accusations along with suspicions of stockpiling illegal weapons due to revelations involving a broken package and the concern of the UPS driver is what would get attention. The whole operation would see Koresh himself arrested on his jog while the children would be taken into protective custody with the evidence on hand along with various other operations involved. While no one was killed, there were a couple of tense moments and violent alternations. It was quite a concerning eye-opener and brought to light the importance of ensuring quality of child-services. [3]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993
[2]- Information and phrasing from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco_siege#Prelude
[3]- Basically, imagine more or less what happened here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternate-wacko-waco.10266/#post-124175

Last edited:
Excellent. Curious if Askew's cabinet is the same, and if not, what changes. Also, the new name for the SUSR laeder, if not President.
Probably still the same, but still unsure who it would be. Probably some regulars from Udall's time, but beyond that, unsure. For a later date.

Still unsure on the name of the SUSR leader.

Excellent update. Glad the Waco thing ended differently, with the right factors in place.
Yup, having calmer people in charge and so on. Meanwhile, Bosnian War gonna go a it interesting which I hope is plausible. It's hard getting good feedback in that since there's not even cricket noises with that XD. Do got something though