Coming very soon!

What if LBJ stepped aside for Bobby Kennedy to follow in his brothers footsteps in 1964?
IMG_5327.jpeg

Why LBJ would step beside when he is now pretty popular? Seems bit out of character IMO unless he gets some even more serious health issues as in OTL?

What if LBJ stepped aside for Bobby Kennedy to follow in his brothers footsteps in 1964?
The most realistic and grounded way for this to happen would be for LBJ to have a serious heart attack after he signed the civil rights act that completely made him bedridden

The most realistic and grounded way for this to happen would be for LBJ to have a serious heart attack after he signed the civil rights act that completely made him bedridden

This would work. Or then he actually gets heart attack after assassination of JFK like some thought in OTL and realises that he hardly can survive from next term.

This would work. Or then he actually gets heart attack after assassination of JFK like some thought in OTL and realises that he hardly can survive from next term.
Even so, LBJ and RFK notoriously hated each other, so RFK might struggle to secure the nomination with Lyndon's preferred candidate going against him.

LBJ would need to be dead. Stone cold dead, deep in the ground. As long as that man lived he would try and kneecap RFK. Best chance is that "near miss" just after JFK dies in Dallas isn't a miss. John W. McCormack ends up in the White House. He'd be in his early '70s come 1964 and it would be an open playing field for the Democratic nomination. It wouldn't be RFK's by default though. Even if LBJ is out of the picture Hubert Humphrey will take another run at it. Stuart Symington may also have another go. George Wallace is probably in the field making a mess of things in the south. Eugene McCarthy probably involves himself, though I don't see him making much traction. If RFK can make it through this field, he would need to pick an experienced VP considering his only qualifications for the role is having been AG. Senator Stuart Symington would be ideal for this role. JFK considered him in 1960, he fills the niche of experienced politician and if not southern at least he's southern adjacent. If not him I'd pick Henry M. Jackson as the guy for the job, but that would be giving up on the south.
As for the election I see him doing worse than LBJ. Close states like Idaho and Florida could flip R, and without LBJ Texas is in play. This will have effects down ballot as well. The House will still be a similar blowout, Nevada and Ohio almost certainly go the other way getting Paul Laxalt and Bob Taft Jr. into Congress early. Tennessee and Oklahoma are the other ones that could conceivably flip, getting you and early debut for Howard Baker and a celebrity senator in Bud Wilkinson. In gubernatorial elections the most interesting beneficiary of a better Democratic performance is Charles Percy of Illinois. In OTL Percy became a Senator in 1966, with two years in the Senate he was considered a potential candidate in 1968. With four years as governor that potential is much greater. Additionally if there isn't an incumbent Republic he looks like he's in prime position for a run in 1972.
All being said its very likely RFK wins in 1964. The next four years, and possibly eight years, are his to define.

CHAPTER 1:A SERIES OF A UNFORTUNATE EVENT New
*OPENING OF THE CBS NEWS EVENING BROADCAST FROM AUGUST 14th 1964*

*Walter Cronkite looks at the screen as he reads off his news notes*

“Good evening im Walter Cronkite
IMG_5367.jpeg

Today the White House reported and CBS News has been covering all has confirmed that President Lyndon Johnson suffered a heavy fall in the White House earlier. The president has been hospitalized at Walter Reed Army General Hospital close to the White House in Washington DC

The President reportedly fell down a flight of White House stairs and immediately suffered a broken right hip and a sprained right ankle

Mr Johnson has been reported to be in critical but stable condition

With the Democratic Convention nearly 10 days away in Atlantic City this incident and the President’s health and condition

Will the Democrats think about possibly replacing Mr Johnson for someone else even if he pulls through?
Well that will be seen when the moment arrives.”

“Bobby’s phone in his office and his home started ringing all day wanting to know the thoughts on the current situation and if Lyndon’s health and condition given his history was gonna be a factor would be willing to be ready to throw his hat at the ring in the convention in Jersey?”-Ethel Kennedy in Robert F Kennedy’s post presidential autobiography “To Seek a Newer World”

“Robert was reluctant at first as it wasn’t even a full year since his brother’s assassination and he fully wanting to be the next Senator of New York plus he wanted to wait on Lyndon’s condition and if his health was good enough to run for a full term and would it be appropriate to run in such circumstances.”-Tom Brokaw in his book “Camelot The Next Chapter”
iu

AUGUST 15th 1964
NEW YORK TIMES
PRESIDENT JOHNSON STILL HOSPITALIZED:CRITICAL BUT STABLE
President Lyndon B Johnson remains hospitalized at Walter Reed Memorial Hospital however his condition has changed

The President remains in critical condition however is showing signs of activity as doctors hope

Later this afternoon White House press secretary George Reedy is expected to appear in the White House press room for a press conference on the issue at hand

IMG_5369.jpeg

*Audio recording later that afternoon on August 15th 1964 in the White House Press Secretary room*

“Alright thank you for everyone for coming please be seated. We are here report that the President’s condition is still very serious and that he suffered a broken right hip and ribs and a sprained ankle.”

However we can also report that his condition is not as serious as it was yesterday when he was rushed to the emergency room and he is making progress and he has been told about this current situation and is currently alerted”

“Alright any questions?”

*One reporter asks about when he is expected to be released*

“Well sir we are not exactly when the president is expected to released however he we are hopefully it is as soon as possible.”

*Another one asks about the upcoming convention*

“Again too early for conclusions we are just focused on getting Mr Johnson back here in the best condition possible”

*Phone call later that day with DNC chair John Bailey and New Jersey Governor Richard J. Hughes*

Bailey: Mr Governor how you feeling?

Hudges: Probably the same as you Chairman I mean damn how are we gonna find a candidate for the party to get around if the president isn’t up for it in 9 days?

Bailey: Well sir from my experiences with Lyndon honestly after this I don’t expect him to go for a full term but for the time being we are probably looking at someone who he ends up getting his full endorsement too

Hudges: Fair but what about Bobby? I know he can’t stand the man

Bailey: Well don’t worry I think Mr Kennedy is focus on a Senate run but I feel like he will take the VP slot if offered to him

Hudges: Right right hopefully you find someone in nearly a week no matter how tough it will be

Bailey: On the bright side however I am glad the president is gonna recover from this and I hope to have a chance to talk to him or Lady Bird soon

Hudges: Very well then John but sorry I am gonna have to cut you off early gotta a important call coming in

Bailey: Well still thanks for taking your time to talk to me about this

Continue this talk later?

Hudges: Sure you take care now

*NBC NEWS SPECIAL REPORT COVERAGE LATER THAT NIGHT*
“Good evening I’m Frank McGee and you are watching our continuing special coverage of the events surrounding President Lyndon B Johnson’s serve fall yesterday
iu

It’s been reported by a local hospital source that we will get a day on when the president will be released from Walter Reed hospital and his return to the White House where he is now expected to soon after announcing his plans for a full term

Earlier this afternoon a spokesman for Walter Reed reported that Mr Johnson is still in serious condition but has improving vital signs

We will keep you updated as more news comes in”

AUGUST 16th 1964
PRESIDENT JOHNSON EXPECTED TO BE RELEASED FROM WALTER REED HOSPITAL TOMMOROW
THE WASHINGTON POST
Earlier this morning around 6 A.M Eastern it was announced that the president would be released from Walter Reed Army hospital Monday tomorrow after a serve health scare on Friday

It is unknown if the president will announce his decision to run for a full term or not as soon as he returns to the White House

If not whoever gets his endorsement is sure to be the favorite going into the convention in Atlantic City

AUGUST 17th 1964
PRESIDENT JOHNSON RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL
EXPECTED TO ADDRESS THE NATION TONIGHT
THE WASHINGTON POST

“President Lyndon B Johnson was released from Walter Reed hospital this morning about suffering a life scaring fall

The president is also expected to announce tonight through a address through the oval office if in November he will seek a full term”

*Segment from Ken Burns’ documentary series “The Presidents” episode on Lyndon B Johnson*

“A couple hours before the address Mr Johnson would get the full recommendation from his doctors that he was not in his best interest to continue on with running for a full term and let the Democratic Party choose a new nominee for the president at the convention a week again. Lyndon wanted to resist it but he knew that it was best for him and his family that he would step aside for a future retirement life at his ranch in Texas.”
At 8:45 P.M Eastern that night he would sit down on his Oval Office chair and address the nation”
iu

*LYNDON B JOHNSON’s TELEVISED PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS FROM THE OVAL OFFICE FROM AUGUST 17th 1964*

“Good evening my fellow Americans I want to start off this speech thanking the people who supported me and wished for me to get well through the past weekend as I recovered from that experience I had on Friday. I maybe be out of the public for awhile to recover but it is for the best that I do such a thing.
For this last 8 months it has been a honored to serve as your commander in chief as we hold to recover and remember from the tragedy that happened in Dallas last November.

However it is with the best interest that I will not continue to run for a full presidential term later this year after what just happened

It is also the best for me and my future that I shall allow a new person to help us guide and continue the progress we have started on and to prevent individuals from trying to stop these things from happening.

I will not be endorsing anyone for the time being however I have strong faith that whoever follows me will follow what I set out and that is a country where everyone has equal rights and where everyone has a right for health and shelter and that they will continue what I am laid out for the Civil Rights Act and to help America fight against its enemies foreign and domestic
Thank you good night and god bless America”